Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

1 hour ago, Detroit Blues said:

What other club with top 4 ambition would sell their first choice left back for a paltry fee (by modem standards) in January?

Fuchs is a great backup, but he's not champions league quality. Any replacement of chilwell's quality would cost at least 30m, and they would need a few months to gel with the team and/or acclimate to the premier league.

The money to be made based on finishing top 4, and qualifying for the champions league alone would surpass chilwell's transfer fee. If we sell, what message does that send the to players, Brendan Rodgers, and the premier league? To me it signals we are a selling club to the "big clubs," and we don't have ambitions to be in the top 4/6. 

My memory must be playing tricks on me cos I recall him playing in the team that romped the group stages and reached further than any other English club in that very competition a couple of seasons ago.  yes he may be a bit older but he is still a quality player. I like Chilwell, but if was not for Puels dogmatic compulsion to deliberately sideline almost anybody and everybody from the championship side and play young players in their place simply because they were younger I think he would still be our backup LB behind Fuchs.

I am not actually saying that this was bad. Ben definitely has improved dramatically in that time, and is probably rightly so our first choice LB now but seems to have stagnated somewhat recently. It has been suggested that he is still carrying a knock from earlier in the season and if that is the case then he should not be playing. We have more than adequate cover.  My opinion, for what its worth, is that he struggles without an experienced winger in front of him. We all know that playing Maddison on the left doesn't work and I think this is also stifling Chilwell. For some reason he does not have seem to have worked out an understanding with Barnes, again perhaps due to the latters inexperience.  Soyuncu has obviously come on leaps and bounds playing alongside Evans's experience and maybe Chilwell needs the likes of an Albrighton working with him on that left flank to bring out the best in him.

For what its worth, I do think that, unless he himself wants away or we get a ridiculous offer, he will still be a great player for us, especially if he can work on his crossing (and practice using his right foot)

Guest An Sionnach

Leaving a player out on form is not the same as wanting to sell . We have the cover for Chilwell and he is an accident waiting to happen at the moment.  We do not need to sell him ,why should we , we do not need the money . He is not a financial asset , he is a footballer and not even Man Utd are going to buy a player in bad form . He needs to work on his game technically and mentally and some time on the bench would encourage him to do that.

Edited by An Sionnach

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Leaving a player out on form is not the same as wanting to sell . We have the cover for Chilwell and he is an accident waiting to happen at moment.  We do not need to sell him ,why should we , we do not need the money . He is not a financial asset , he is a footballer and not even Man Utd are going to buy a player in bad form . He needs to work on his game technically and mentally and some time on the bench would encourage him to do that.

They bought Fred.;)

3 hours ago, urban fox said:

My memory must be playing tricks on me cos I recall him playing in the team that romped the group stages and reached further than any other English club in that very competition a couple of seasons ago.  yes he may be a bit older but he is still a quality player. I like Chilwell, but if was not for Puels dogmatic compulsion to deliberately sideline almost anybody and everybody from the championship side and play young players in their place simply because they were younger I think he would still be our backup LB behind Fuchs.

I am not actually saying that this was bad. Ben definitely has improved dramatically in that time, and is probably rightly so our first choice LB now but seems to have stagnated somewhat recently. It has been suggested that he is still carrying a knock from earlier in the season and if that is the case then he should not be playing. We have more than adequate cover.  My opinion, for what its worth, is that he struggles without an experienced winger in front of him. We all know that playing Maddison on the left doesn't work and I think this is also stifling Chilwell. For some reason he does not have seem to have worked out an understanding with Barnes, again perhaps due to the latters inexperience.  Soyuncu has obviously come on leaps and bounds playing alongside Evans's experience and maybe Chilwell needs the likes of an Albrighton working with him on that left flank to bring out the best in him.

For what its worth, I do think that, unless he himself wants away or we get a ridiculous offer, he will still be a great player for us, especially if he can work on his crossing (and practice using his right foot)

Yeah, Robert Huth was pretty good three years ago, do you think he'd still get in the squad today lol

If you want to know if a player is Champions League quality, consider the offers they get from other clubs. Chilwell is being recruited by Manchester City and Liverpool. Christian Fuchs was going to leave and goto the MLS. Bit of a gap in quality, those two. 

I don't mean to denigrate Christian Fuchs. He is a club legend, and one of the better backups we got. But you think he can play the next 30 premier league games? You think he can provide overlapping runs to provide width in attack for 90 minutes? You think we'd end up accumulating as many points without Chilwell, as we do with him?

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach

Manchester City bought John Stones they won't make another mistake . Overhyped English defenders can cost you a lot of points .Nobody said drop Chilwell for good but he is out of form and if he starts making crucial errors some on here will crucify him. He needs a spell on the bench .

On 06/10/2019 at 02:14, dayday said:

Young left back learning his trade gets hammered by Leicester fans, have you not learnt?

with all due respect, if by the time you become a professional footballer you don't understand the term 'goalside' i'd say you're struggling a bit.

3 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

Yeah, Robert Huth was pretty good three years ago, do you think he'd still get in the squad today lol

If you want to know if a player is Champions League quality, consider the offers they get from other clubs. Chilwell is being recruited by Manchester City and Liverpool. Christian Fuchs was going to leave and goto the MLS. Bit of a gap in quality, those two. 

I don't mean to denigrate Christian Fuchs. He is a club legend, and one of the better backups we got. But you think he can play the next 30 premier league games? You think he can provide overlapping runs to provide width in attack for 90 minutes? You think we'd end up accumulating as many points without Chilwell, as we do with him?

What's the point in having overlapping runs when your cross accuracy is 10%. His tackle success is 44%. I mean, he's meant to  be an attacking defender and he can neither attack nor defend.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stadt said:

The sell sell sell brigade haven't come up with a replacement or acknowledged buying in January is a nightmare. 

A right footer will do better at left back than chillwell,even a unfit Fuchs,

he’s playing so we get a fee and some mugs will pay way over the odds for him,

maguire is testament to that 

Edited by Russell sprout

23 minutes ago, Swiss_tony said:

What's the point in having overlapping runs when your cross accuracy is 10%. His tackle success is 44%. I mean, he's meant to  be an attacking defender and he can neither attack nor defend.

Couple things:

Modern football styles heavily emphasize the use of overlapping runs to create numerical overloads. Defenders either have to follow chilwell, which opens úp space for another attacker (Barnes, Maddison, vardy) or leave him free to get to the byline. 

Remember how we struggled in possession with Fuchs and Simpson against teams that sat back? Remember mahrez getting double and triple teamed? That is what happens when you don't have fullbacks getting forward. You probably enjoy all the space our attacking players get in the final third, but never attribute it to players like chilwell.

Crossing the ball is not what our team is built to do. If it was, Marc Albrighton would be in the starting XI. Vardy is not a target man, and when we swing crosses in, they are rarely effective.

Chilwell is a prototypical fullback. He's young, hard working and extremely talented. There's a reason the big clubs want him. He can be taught to be a better defender. He can be taught to be more clinical with his end product. His value is only going to increase. Selling him for 50m now would be like using a Bitcoin to buy a pizza. At Liverpool/man city he'll be worth double.

If all you're looking for in a fullback is to be a good defender and cross in the ball, I'm sorry mate but the game has evolved. 

• Like 3

He is ours,he SOMETIMES delivery poor crosses,no worse than some others,he does defend well,He is the positive Source of many of our attacks down the Left flank

no matter what und how many People in this forum think he has been poor and Not Keeping up to their expectations...

i want him to stay,he is a Quality LB, als WB und taking far too much criticism.

I can Remember alot of Good crosses he has put in,I can also remember,2-3 intended

receivers fking it up between them....but we have noticed some occasional problems,so we have to make Mountains from molehills..And then miss out on his Good play,because we are determined to Note ,all non-successfull actions whether its his fault or not...

Our Rb Pereira  is more liked,so when he puts in 5 failed crosses After each other,( happened a few weeks ago, + he also doesn t get it right always) but we turn a blind eye...Periera has missed a hell of Spot of tackle when defending,where Evans has cleared up..!!  I dont chase every  misendeamour from our players,its just not worth it...

Soyu made a couple of slips in his first games,but some Posters carried on mentioning it 6 months afterwards,Not even Coaches go that deep when analysing players mistakes.

This Forum loves nothing more than to grind things to pulp,to try und prove invalid points..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Detroit Blues said:

Couple things:

Modern football styles heavily emphasize the use of overlapping runs to create numerical overloads. Defenders either have to follow chilwell, which opens úp space for another attacker (Barnes, Maddison, vardy) or leave him free to get to the byline. 

Remember how we struggled in possession with Fuchs and Simpson against teams that sat back? Remember mahrez getting double and triple teamed? That is what happens when you don't have fullbacks getting forward. You probably enjoy all the space our attacking players get in the final third, but never attribute it to players like chilwell.

Crossing the ball is not what our team is built to do. If it was, Marc Albrighton would be in the starting XI. Vardy is not a target man, and when we swing crosses in, they are rarely effective.

Chilwell is a prototypical fullback. He's young, hard working and extremely talented. There's a reason the big clubs want him. He can be taught to be a better defender. He can be taught to be more clinical with his end product. His value is only going to increase. Selling him for 50m now would be like using a Bitcoin to buy a pizza. At Liverpool/man city he'll be worth double.

If all you're looking for in a fullback is to be a good defender and cross in the ball, I'm sorry mate but the game has evolved. 

Are you actually saying a modern  defender doesn't need to know how to  defend. Did you actually say  that?? i hate to point out the obvious,  but if he's not meant to  cross the ball, his crossing stat would not be 10% would it, it would be closer to 100% but on fewer crosses. 10% means he's hit 10 crosses and found a fellow player once. If he's not meant to  be crossing why does he do it, and do it badly, because that's what the stats say??? If you like chilwell fine, but you've just made up a load of bollox there to  excuse his averageness. He's quick, he can  get down  the flanks or cut inside but 9 times out of ten going forward he either hits a ball to no one, or dribbles into  trouble and loses it. He's in danger of turning into another Mattock. If he improves and gets close to  Ricardo's level then i'll eat my hat. He's the weak link in the 11 on the pitch  right now,  which shows how far we've come. He needs to improve or we buy better.

• Like 1

This newb from Cleveland, the Sahara Desert of sporting triumph, wants a word with you.

Your blah yo-yo club emerged from two decades of struggle in an all-time shocker that merely inspired the world.  The oligopoly picked off the top talent.  And you put it to the Man yet again by putting younger, even better players into an XI that has fans of other clubs green with envy.  This is one of the best things I’ve ever seen in sports.  No, it’s not a smooth ride, and nothing’s guaranteed.  But what would it be worth if it was?

Those young, developing kids have up and down spells, and the tactics don’t always suit.  The AM is often played out of position … the LB given responsibility for the entire touchline with a rotating cast of WINOs (Wingers In Name Only).  Shocker: they aren’t always productive.

And?  Some fans don't just criticize, but savage them.  If I had a buck for every “get rid” post on Maddison, Chilwell or Ndidi I could buy the club.  Players whose commitment to summer and after-practice work is well documented.  Players whom the fans. media and management of bigger clubs would love to see those clubs acquire.

I’m sick of seeing a current and a likely future England starter slagged off because they’re not built to some old second division blueprint.  Is today's milk and honey still not sweet enough?  Or are you just so accustomed to a bitter taste you prefer to spit it out?

There’s not enough Buddhist monks in Thailand to rescue the karma here. 

• Like 2

Why do we always go out to try and slate the players? Chilwell not always the brightest but he’s easily the better option at left back. Consistency for a start. Not just for him but the shape and the way the team plays. Fuchs is the back up and he knows it. 

• Like 1

Manchester United eye sensational '£130m double transfer swoop' for James Maddison and Ben Chilwell as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer bids to save season with big spending January.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7558551/Man-United-set-130m-double-swoop-James-Maddison-Ben-Chilwell.html

:crylaugh: And the rest!

As I said when Maguire went I don't understand why anyone would want to go there in the state they are in, the "It's Manchester United" tag doesn't wash anymore or it won't for much longer certainly.

Edited by Matt

13 hours ago, Swiss_tony said:

Are you actually saying a modern  defender doesn't need to know how to  defend. Did you actually say  that?? i hate to point out the obvious,  but if he's not meant to  cross the ball, his crossing stat would not be 10% would it, it would be closer to 100% but on fewer crosses. 10% means he's hit 10 crosses and found a fellow player once. If he's not meant to  be crossing why does he do it, and do it badly, because that's what the stats say??? If you like chilwell fine, but you've just made up a load of bollox there to  excuse his averageness. He's quick, he can  get down  the flanks or cut inside but 9 times out of ten going forward he either hits a ball to no one, or dribbles into  trouble and loses it. He's in danger of turning into another Mattock. If he improves and gets close to  Ricardo's level then i'll eat my hat. He's the weak link in the 11 on the pitch  right now,  which shows how far we've come. He needs to improve or we buy better.

I think you've built quite the straw man argument. 

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Manchester United eye sensational '£130m double transfer swoop' for James Maddison and Ben Chilwell his disgusting backpack as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer bids to save season with big spending January.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7558551/Man-United-set-130m-double-swoop-James-Maddison-Ben-Chilwell.html

As I said when Maguire went I don't understand why anyone would want to go their in the state they are in, the "It's Manchester United" tag doesn't wash anymore or it won't for much longer certainly.

Fixed it for you :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Manchester United eye sensational '£130m double transfer swoop' for James Maddison and Ben Chilwell as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer bids to save season with big spending January.

As I said when Maguire went I don't understand why anyone would want to go their in the state they are in, the "It's Manchester United" tag doesn't wash anymore or it won't for much longer certainly.

Why is it always LCFC players!! being eyed up, Jesus christ. They cant beat there competition on the pitch theyl just buy the competition instead.

We are not the Man Utd training academy - would be amazed if either player goes in the next window. Maddison is our playmaker and I think he will stay for a year or two yet as long as Rodgers is manager.Why would they want to join United anyway - I think they are more likely to go down than get in the Champions League

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

That rates Chillwell at 10m