Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We weren’t prepared to sell chilly this summer

 

tierney wouldn’t turn down Arsenal to wait another year and be unsure what offers might some his way - sorry to tell you that arsenal are a bigger draw than we are !

I agree, Arsenal may be a bigger club than us but guess what ?. But for me there's no one bigger than the Foxes.

Guess what though. The Times are a changing. The Super Foxes are coming stay on board and enjoy the ride.Unlike boring Arsenal it's never dull with the Foxes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I totally agree, But my point is, if BR and the Club had decided to sell Chilwell, then surely with BR having direct contact and knowing Tierney well, Surely he would have been in his Ear to come here.

Unless of course he doesn't think he'd be good wnough in the Premiership.

It may be the case that Brendan/Leicester have only contemplated selling Chilwell since the summer.

 

Fwiw, if the figures being banded about are true then Leicester would be mental to knock back £50-70m for Chilwell.  He's a decent player from what I've seen but I'm yet to be convinced he's anything more than that.

 

Like Ric alluded to there is an art of selling a player at the right time and with some decent scouting and planning you could go out and get an upgrade on Chilwell and still have £20m left sitting in the bank.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Home grown local Lad. His Mum probably still does his washing why would he want to leave. If we got Champions league that only leaves one thing, Money. A big silly Contract at Stupid United.

They have more money than sense.

 

Not that local really - he's from Milton Keynes. Which is about the same distance from Leicester as it is from the London clubs...

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GeorgeTheFox said:

I must be the only person who still really rates Chilwell then :D don't think there's a price I would sell him for. Need to set a precedent to the big clubs that our lads aren't for sale. We had Man U's pants down with Maguire so that's a different case

If you get £50-70m for Chilwell as has been discussed then you'll have whoever buys him's pants down also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

If you get £50-70m for Chilwell as has been discussed then you'll have whoever buys him's pants down also.

We don’t particularly need the money, he’s still got huge potential to improve, he’s a key part of the team on and off the pitch. Plus he’s from the academy. Maybe I’d sell if a really silly offer came summer. It’d have to be mega money though because I don’t want us to fall into the trap of selling an important player every summer. 
 

I want us to keep our young English squad together, maybe there are better left backs out there but I’m happy enough with Chilwell. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We don’t particularly need the money, he’s still got huge potential to improve, he’s a key part of the team on and off the pitch. Plus he’s from the academy. Maybe I’d sell if a really silly offer came summer. It’d have to be mega money though because I don’t want us to fall into the trap of selling an important player every summer. 
 

I want us to keep our young English squad together, maybe there are better left backs out there but I’m happy enough with Chilwell. 

Pretty much most clubs outside the top 1 or 2 in all the major leagues sell an important player every summer and Leicester are no different. It's a necessary evil in today's game and there are a clutch of clubs who use it to their advantage, season in season out, clubs like Dortmund, Atletico Madrid, etc, etc.  Liverpool even done it with Coutinho and you could argue selling him allowed them to strengthen the positions that allowed them to properly challenge for the league and also win the Champions league.

 

Ricardo shows that there are players out there to be got at reasonable prices if you look hard enough.  I'll say it again if you were to sell Chilwell for £50m+ and source a left footed version of Ricardo you've got a very obvious upgrade there.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the moneys right sell . I look at Chilwell in a similar vein to Maguire . They are not a bad player but vastly overrated . We sold Maguire for £80 million and his replacement  Cag’s makes us look a much better team defensively . I think similar would happen on selling Chilwell . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

I must be the only person who still really rates Chilwell then :D don't think there's a price I would sell him for. Need to set a precedent to the big clubs that our lads aren't for sale. We had Man U's pants down with Maguire so that's a different case

I rate him, but he'll never be at Ricardo's level for example, because he'll never be as proficient in the final third (alright never say never, but we've not seen a single sign that he will in the pattern of his development at any point). So I wouldn't be upset to see him sold for a huge wedge of cash (Maguireesque overvalutation) under certain circumstamces, assuming we bought a really good replacement. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MPH said:

 

We moved harry on because we had a ready made replacement. Same can not be said for chillwell.

...we really did not you know!!!

There were numerous options out there to replace Maguire and we were rumoured to be looking for an adequate replacement.  Had we not completed the Maguire deal so late in the summer, we would have gone for a replacement. The fact that so far Soyuncu has performed superbly in the role is merely a bonus. Sometimes you just get lucky!!!!!!

   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we really did not you know!!!

There were numerous options out there to replace Maguire and we were rumoured to be looking for an adequate replacement.  Had we not completed the Maguire deal so late in the summer, we would have gone for a replacement. The fact that so far Soyuncu has performed superbly in the role is merely a bonus. Sometimes you just get lucky!!!!!!

   

Caglar and Benkovic will both be better than Maguire who, so far at Man Utd, is looking distinctly average. That’s why we bought them. We just had to man up and give one or both a go. I’m glad we did. Great business and Harry jumped on to a sinking ship. Unlucky. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jacnah said:

Not convinced the evidence supports this assertion. Leicester, by most accounts, were looking to bring in a replacement but didnt want to pay the prices we had just inflated. The fact that Cags has done so well seems to have come as a pleasant and very welcome suprise 

 

 

if you speak to a manager or scout, they will say every time they have a position they want to improve they discuss and enquire about several different options. the reality is we could have bought any of the prem defenders we were linked with as we had the money to, but we chose not to so i would say the evidence DOES support the assertion. if you think the notion that the manager and owners were caught unprepared by Maguire’s departure and had to settle for Soyuncu and HOPE he didn’t mess up then i’d have to respectfully disagree. i think a lot of though and analyzing went into the decision and they concluded it was the best option. Again, we had the finances to buy any of the players we were linked with but we chose not to.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We have no idea what plans the club have, 

id be very surprised if this club will accept the plan to go into next season with two new LBs . it would be a risky move as their are some very good right sided players in this league .

 

This club seems far too organized for that as is evidenced by the foreknowledge shown in buying caglar  a year in advance and giving him a year to settle in  and preparing for Maguires departure 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we really did not you know!!!

There were numerous options out there to replace Maguire and we were rumoured to be looking for an adequate replacement.  Had we not completed the Maguire deal so late in the summer, we would have gone for a replacement. The fact that so far Soyuncu has performed superbly in the role is merely a bonus. Sometimes you just get lucky!!!!!!

   

I agree that we were looking for a replacement, and that Soyuncu wasn't meant to step up to the first team so soon, but the reason we didn't get someone else in was because there was no value in the market. I think the same thing would have happened if Maguire had gone at the beginning of the transfer window and we tried to buy a replacement at the end. Everyone knew we had £80m burning a hole in our pocket, and put their prices up massively. £50m for Tarkowski?! £75m for Ake?!! Just not worth it. Possibly could have got either for around half those prices if we hadn't just got a world record fee for a defender.

 

Anyway, I'm delighted that it turned out the way it did. I genuinely think Soyuncu is already the better player, and will only get better. I'd love it if we get to keep him for a long time, but he's that good, it will be difficult to hold onto him for too long. He will fetch a lot, though, maybe even compared to Maguire's fee.

 

Maguire's a good player, but he was always playing alongside someone more experienced than him here. He's struggling at Man Utd partly because the whole set up is a rotten mess from top to bottom, but also because they bought him to be a leader in defence, and he's not that player. Not yet, anyway. I don't blame him for going to a big club and doubling his money, but I can't help smiling that we're better off and Man Utd are tanking.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Pretty much most clubs outside the top 1 or 2 in all the major leagues sell an important player every summer and Leicester are no different. It's a necessary evil in today's game and there are a clutch of clubs who use it to their advantage, season in season out, clubs like Dortmund, Atletico Madrid, etc, etc.  Liverpool even done it with Coutinho and you could argue selling him allowed them to strengthen the positions that allowed them to properly challenge for the league and also win the Champions league.

 

Ricardo shows that there are players out there to be got at reasonable prices if you look hard enough.  I'll say it again if you were to sell Chilwell for £50m+ and source a left footed version of Ricardo you've got a very obvious upgrade there.

As much as I admire Atletico, Ajax and Porto's business model they don't have such a cushty tv deal. Making a huge sale for them can be like doubling their revenue in a year, it's not quite the same for us. Chelsea lost Hazard and Everton lost Gueye last season but they're anomalies over the last 3 years. When did United or Arsenal last have to sell anybody of note? Wolves, West Ham and Bournemouth, all mid table regulars haven't needed to sell either. 

 

It makes sense to sell players for an inflated fee and reinvest it but as a club right now there's more to us than a heathy balance sheet, we could sell Chilwell and sign a better player but it's all if, buts and maybes. Fuchs is going at the end of the season, scrabbling around for two left backs in a window is obviously more difficult than one. There's risks associated with constantly selling off great assets. It's more complicated than saying Southampton declined solely because they kept selling players but had they been more resilient, they wouldn't have such a poor squad now. I don't disagree there are better leftbacks out there than Chilwell but if we sold him for say £60m; we're gonna have to spend probably £30-£40m on the replacement, is this worth it for us? It's an unnecessary risk in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Home grown local Lad. His Mum probably still does his washing why would he want to leave. If we got Champions league that only leaves one thing, Money. A big silly Contract at Stupid United.

They have more money than sense.

 

Hes not local and has no affiliation to leicester as a fan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we really did not you know!!!

There were numerous options out there to replace Maguire and we were rumoured to be looking for an adequate replacement.  Had we not completed the Maguire deal so late in the summer, we would have gone for a replacement. The fact that so far Soyuncu has performed superbly in the role is merely a bonus. Sometimes you just get lucky!!!!!!

   

Part of me thinks this, and part of me thinks that we’re getting pretty good at playing this game, and that we were just stressing how much selling Maguire would hurt in order to pump up his value, while actually having the intention of using Soyuncu all along.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

He's been at the football club for 10 years since he was 11 year old boy. I'd like to think he's got a bit of an affiliation to the club and area in all those years. 

Yep, this.

Andy King isn't a local lad but I'm sure he bleeds Leicester blue.

Likewise The Birch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Yep, this.

Andy King isn't a local lad but I'm sure he bleeds Leicester blue.

Likewise The Birch.

The birch is too old to remember when he didn’t live in the foothills of braggie park !
 

im sure chilly loves the club but his career will have been mapped out by his agent and even if we make the CL, he may still want to go.  However, we would likely refuse and given his affiliation to the club, he wouldn’t probably agitate (for a year anyway!)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...