Just now, st albans fox said:

Two things 

watford away play differently

watford back in December were shite

oh and a third ...the player had no confidence back then .......

They don’t play that differently. All season home or away they’ve sat back soaked up the pressure and tried to hit teams on the break. Fair comment about the confidence but Chilwell was awful defensively today. I’m a big fan of Chilwell but Sarr isn’t that special. Basic movement and a bit of pace left Chilwell bewildered defensively today, a department I would suggest is normally good for him.

10 minutes ago, Hales said:

Both Madders and Brendan said after the match that 5 minutes before he scored he had been in a similar situation and passed and they told him to pull the trigger and have a go! He was a lot better going forward this time and seemed keen to get forward. Confidence issue I guess? Glad Brendan and the others players are encouraging him on. That goal will be a massive confidence boost. We need him to make those pacy runs forward especially now Ricardo is missing the other side.

..had not heard that interview!!!

It is quite evident that Chilwell can up his game in this area, it is just a way of seeing the game a bit more positive and open minded.

His crossing in the game wasn't the best but it was decent considering how tall Watford are, we shouldn't really have been trying to use crossing so much. I thought he was decent until the goal, which was just spectacular. If he can chip in 3 or 4 of those in a season I think he will be just fine.

Hopefully he can build some confidence from that.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Here we have a young lad, come up through the youth ranks, almost universally highly rated, England regular, being tipped for multimillion pound moves to some of the biggest clubs in Europe, yet our fan base appear to focus on every tiny error and make out like even the greats don’t make them.

Demarai Gray? :ph34r:

3 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

They don’t play that differently. All season home or away they’ve sat back soaked up the pressure and tried to hit teams on the break. Fair comment about the confidence but Chilwell was awful defensively today. I’m a big fan of Chilwell but Sarr isn’t that special. Basic movement and a bit of pace left Chilwell bewildered defensively today, a department I would suggest is normally good for him.

Pearson has changed their tactics up a fair bit I would say.

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

We have the weirdest fan base in the world, I’m sure of it. It’s like we are always looking for negatives.

Here we have a young lad, come up through the youth ranks, almost universally highly rated, England regular, being tipped for multimillion pound moves to some of the biggest clubs in Europe, yet our fan base appear to focus on every tiny error and make out like even the greats don’t make them.

He is 22, he will have lapses in concentration, he will make mistakes. But what he is, is an outstanding full back, offers a lot going forwards and is more than capable at the back. Watch him, rewatch that game and you will see how well he reads the game.

We as a fan base really need to sort this out. It’s not helpful, and it’s not just one player I’ve seen almost everyone in out squad mauled by supporters on social media, players booed as they come on - how the **** does this help us as a team or make players want to join us/ stay with us.

This isn’t to say we can’t have a meaningful discussion with constructive criticism, I would have preferred Albrighton taking corners yesterday is a conversation point Maddison is shit and needs to learn how to take a corner is just crap.

The only thing I note from your post is a lot of bias because of his age.

Here we have a young lad

come up through the youth ranks

He is 22

No way you make that post if he was 29 and didnt come through the ranks.  That is my issue really, the bias towards players who come through the youth teams.

Edited by Chrysalis
33 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

The only thing I note from your post is a lot of bias because of his age.

No way you make that post if he was 29 and didnt come through the ranks.  That is my issue really, the bias towards players who come through the youth teams.

Of course his age is a factor, I know it’s not the popular opinion on here, but, young players improve. 
We have got an outstanding player who will only get better.

of course you cut him more slack than a 29 year old who is at the peak of his abilities.

Do you think Chelsea are paying 50 million plus for a 29 year old? 
If you look at the crap aimed at Chilwell, Barnes earlier this season, Choudhury, King, Moore, Schlupp we could argue we have a bias on here against our players who come through the youth team, which I find rather weird compared to other teams support.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Pearson has changed their tactics up a fair bit I would say.

I would agree but clearly the fundamental basics of their game remain exactly the same. Hardly like he’s waltzed in and got them play tiki taka.

• Like 1
On 21/06/2020 at 03:17, Aus Fox said:

Of course his age is a factor, I know it’s not the popular opinion on here, but, young players improve. 

of course you cut him more slack than a 29 year old who is at the peak of his abilities.

If you look at the crap aimed at Chilwell, Barnes earlier this season, Choudhury, King, Moore, Schlupp we could argue we have a bias on here against our players who come through the youth team, which I find rather weird compared to other teams support.

I dont think there is any bias against, the problem is for those players, if someone dares criticise then an army comes out to defend them and it drags things out so you get many, many more posts on the subject, whilst if e.g. someone makes a bad post about albrighton, not much fuss is made. 

This season I have laid criticism to at various points, Tielemans, Vardy, Chilwell, Barnes, Perez, Kasper, Morgan.  With Chilwell and Barnes the army came out, the others no one barely batted an eye lid :)

For me if someone is good enough to make the first team, then they get treated the same, no slack given.  

I think there is a clear disconnect here, some expect youth team players to be given slack as a matter of course, and when it isnt given, it is treated as bias.

Even the people defending Chillwell openly admitted his form dropped for a lot of games this season, so thats your answer as to why he had some criticism on here.  He played reasonably well in the past game and scored a good goal, and I expect he hasnt had any since that game, people dont criticise for no reason, there is always a reason.

Barnes was wasting chance after chance for a lot of games, as well as been lazy defensively, so there was reason for that as well.  He started improving just before the break, so the timing of the break was unfortunate for him.

It is interesting though that you think only those two players have had any bad feedback, as if you turned your head the other way for the other players.

On 21/06/2020 at 10:17, Aus Fox said:

Improvement comes with age and experience, especially young defenders.

Fuchs peaked at 28. I would love to have Chillwell in our side 25-29.

• Like 4

Rio Ferdinand actually said for his position he has not hit his peak at his age. Yes he has improvements to make but is potentially 4-5 years away from that peak. He has the raw talent he just needs coaching more on his positioning and footwork. He also needs the confidence and encouragement to shoot when forward which it sounds like he is getting from Brendan and the team. I think it's his time to shine with this now Ricardo is out.

47 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

He barely put a foot wrong against Watford though

Yes, that’s true, but that doesn’t change the fact that almost none of those descriptors apply to him.

Guest An Sionnach

To me Chilwell is not a key player , we will do just fine without him , having said that I still believe we we get more out of him in a more advanced position. The key to our continued success is achieving dominance in midfield and that means Maddison and Tielemans imposing themselves more consistently. They are high class players but they have to show the character, fight and determination as well.