Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Leicester banked £80m lump sum from Manchester United for Harry Maguire - and Brendan Rodgers is preparing to spend it

Leicester banked £80m lump sum from Manchester United for Harry Maguire - and Brendan Rodgers is preparing to spend it

Manchester United paid a huge £80 million lump sum for Harry Maguire, it has emerged.

United shattered the world record transfer fee for a defender in August by signing Maguire from Leicester, in a deal which was eventually agreed at a total of £85m.

And it can be revealed that United were so intent on recruiting the England international that they paid almost all of the fee up front.

Many transfer deals at high cost are paid in instalments, with further money triggered on appearances, but Leicester banked around £80m for the centre-half in one huge payment.

Brendan Rodgers, the Leicester manager, will target a new centre-half in January as he prepares to spend some of the cash generated from the Maguire sale.

Manchester United shattered the world record transfer fee for a defender by signing Harry Maguire
Manchester United shattered the world record transfer fee for a defender by signing Harry Maguire Credit: getty images

Rodgers and Leicester’s recruitment team are ramping up their plans for the transfer window and will pursue defensive cover as they move to strengthen the squad.

Maguire was sold to United three days before the transfer window closed and Leicester were priced out of moves for Bournemouth’s Nathan Ake and Burnley’s James Tarkowski.

Çağlar Söyüncü, the Turkey international, has made an excellent start to the season alongside Jonny Evans but Rodgers is keen to bring in another centre-half to compete with club captain Wes Morgan.

Ake or Tarkowski are expected to be targeted again in January, but Leicester could look for a cheaper option or even a loan deal when the window reopens.

Serbian centre-half Filip Benkovic may be made available for loan by Rodgers in January, after failing to make a first-team appearance so far this season.

Leicester will also move to trim the squad, with Nampalys Mendy likely to be one fringe player who can go.

Kelechi Iheanacho, the £25m striker, could be cleared for a loan move in January if Leicester manage to sign another forward at a sensible price.

Rodgers has guided Leicester to third in the Premier League with their next game at Southampton on Friday night.

He said: “There’s no doubt we can get better, but you can’t wave the magic wand. It’s creating the mentality, creating the condition every day to work and improve. 

“The players are doing that, the mentality is getting better and that is the exciting thing I have with this group, there is so much more to come from them.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Actually hope we dont. Evan's has been superb and well we all know about the size of a certain turk.

Should that form hold up, wes is more than capable of the odd game and we still haven't seen benkovic and if anyone knows if he is good enough it should be Rodgers.

I'd be happy to hang on to the cash until we know our place for next season. 

That or sign a provern wide man or serious competition for a certain mr vardy. Although both are far harder to do.

Do we really need to sign another centre-half for the price of the fees quoted for Ake and Tarkowski in the summer? It'd completely negate how well we did to get so much for Maguire if we went and spent that. I don't doubt we could do with another body in that position if Benkovic is deemed not quite ready, but that money would surely be better invested on a winger?

*Not sure how well Benkovic will take to being called a Serb!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Not necessarily, people forget he is a year younger than Soyuncu and Caglar had a couple seasons in the Bundesliga under his belt by that point - a much higher level than any Benkovic has played so far in his career. 

I’m sure Rodgers will see his potential from working with him so closely last season at Celtic, but he still may not be ready to compete for a place in the Prem week in week out yet. 

Maybe another centre back isn’t a bad shout, especially if Morgan hangs his boots up after this season. If we do push for this European place and get it, we’ll need 3 quality centre backs at least in the squad. Evans isn’t getting any younger either, we’ve seen the benefits of planning for the future already in recent times. 

Wouldn't surprise me if Benkovic still has issues with his ankle, seems to be a regularly occuring injury and he hasn't even played for the U23s since August

Not like he would have got any playing time at the moment over Evans or Cags anyway, maybe the Luton game but I doubt he was fit for it and Morgan is probably ahead of him in the pecking order anyway

4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Benkovic still has issues with his ankle, seems to be a regularly occuring injury and he hasn't even played for the U23s since August

Not like he would have got any playing time at the moment over Evans or Cags anyway, maybe the Luton game but I doubt he was fit for it and Morgan is probably ahead of him in the pecking order anyway

He has hasn't he? Didn't he play the other night?

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

I’ve seen a lot of fans desperate for a new winger, but of the current 4, but who should be at expense for a new signing? Surely we can’t keep 5 wingers happy? 

Striker one is difficult too, how do you get someone who is a good goalscorer and is happy to be second choice behind Vardy, any ideas who we could go for?

Gray – and (unfortunately, because he's a hero) we really ought to look to upgrade on Albrighton.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Langston said:

He has hasn't he? Didn't he play the other night?

Just had a look and he did indeed play the other night against Spurs, so looks like he is back from whatever was keeping him out

If he is going to get a chance before January I guess it will be against Burton in the cup

Total bullshit lol. Why would we spunk the greater part of £80 million on a 3rd choice centreback when Benkovic clearly has a lot of talent and blew away the SPL and Europa. Percy absolutely pulling things from his arse. If the £80 million lump sum thing is correct, however, we absolutely ruined Man Utd on that deal. 

20 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Can we just take a second to appreciate what a ****ing unbelievable deal that was?

Top, Rudders and Susan played a ****ing blinder. £85m UP FRONT is phenomenal business.

We’re so lucky to have them. 

..very suspicious that statement!!!

No club pays up the fees in one lump sum. The Glaziers use United as a receptacle for bad debts, so why should they pay £85m upfront!!!!

Curious to what people think about the credibility of Percy in regards to Leicester.

Don't know what to think right now. Sounds like a lot of BS but I don't want insult the guy.