Jump to content
Collymore

What's wrong with this world? 39 dead

Recommended Posts

On 25/10/2019 at 11:43, Parafox said:

Not necessarily. If he was solely taking the trailer on an onward journey and the trailer was sealed when he picked it up in Felixstowe and had a fake manifest document declaring a fake cargo, he wouldn't have been able to open the doors without breaking the seal and to do that would potentially be a disciplinary offence, risking the loss of a contract/earnings. He would have had faith in the paperwork being genuine.

 

My guess is he was fulfilling a contract to deliver the trailer and believed it to be a legitimate deal.

Mmm, seems I was very wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/10/2019 at 01:56, ozleicester said:

The privileged lives we lead are a dream to enormous parts of the rest of the world, like all human beings, these people strive for a better life.

 

Our greed and governments leave them with virtually no option but to risk their lives.

Meanwhile 

Image result for public schoolboys uk

Scruffy lot.... B.Johnson would be proud...!!:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Too wealthy and privileged to care about appearances... or other people.

Commi..!!    

I hid my redbook , in My facist-girlfriends tights..!! It strangled all my Political ambitions..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

So did the driver open the lorry see all the bodies and then call the police? I’m trying to work out what he was thinking surely he knew he was effectively handing himself in by doing that? Unless he was planning on pleading ignorance

 

Innocent until proven guilty, of course, but....

 

They've charged him with 39 counts of manslaughter, not murder - and with conspiracy to traffic people, assisting unlawful immigration and money laundering.

Sounds as if they think he was involved in a conspiracy to bring them in, but it went wrong. Manslaughter because he & others were allegedly involved in recklessly endangering life, which unintentionally caused the deaths?

 

If that was the case, he might have been genuinely shocked & called the police on finding the bodies - if he'd just signed up to make some cash by bringing in illegal migrants? He'd only had the container for half an hour or so, hadn't he?

A couple of days ago, they mentioned that his partner is pregnant with twins and he has a £300,000 house....that's high potential outgoings on kids/mortgage. Maybe he was offered money he "couldn't refuse just to bring in a few migrants"?

 

A horrible situation, whatever happened. I hope they get all those involved - and I don't imagine this bloke was the main organiser or the one getting most of the cash for risking the lives of desperate people....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

 

Innocent until proven guilty, of course, but....

 

They've charged him with 39 counts of manslaughter, not murder - and with conspiracy to traffic people, assisting unlawful immigration and money laundering.

Sounds as if they think he was involved in a conspiracy to bring them in, but it went wrong. Manslaughter because he & others were allegedly involved in recklessly endangering life, which unintentionally caused the deaths?

 

If that was the case, he might have been genuinely shocked & called the police on finding the bodies - if he'd just signed up to make some cash by bringing in illegal migrants? He'd only had the container for half an hour or so, hadn't he?

A couple of days ago, they mentioned that his partner is pregnant with twins and he has a £300,000 house....that's high potential outgoings on kids/mortgage. Maybe he was offered money he "couldn't refuse just to bring in a few migrants"?

 

A horrible situation, whatever happened. I hope they get all those involved - and I don't imagine this bloke was the main organiser or the one getting most of the cash for risking the lives of desperate people....

 

Being charged is not the same as being found guilty. Obviously the police have enough evidence to charge given that he is the driver and is therefore responsible for the load being carried. The law changed a few years ago to make the driver of a truck carrying immigrants responsible for trafficking prior to any ongoing investigation which might ultimately result in a not guilty if that driver can prove he had no prior knowledge. 

The inclusion of money laundering, conspiracy to traffic people and assisting unlawful immigration are all things that the police will chuck at this because all are implicitly linked in the act of people trafficking.

Time alone will tell. I still have a feeling the driver was ignorant of the fact and became suspicious for whatever reasons. After all, it was him that called the emergency services.

Intriguing.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Except it appears, in this instance, that is not the case, They weren’t victims being brought here to work in sweatshops or into a life of prostitution, it appears they paid for illegal entry in this country. 

Did they pay or were they repaying debt?

And you're making assumptions based on the story of one Vietnamese family when there is no confirmation about their daughter or the origins of anybody in the back of the lorry.

 

Edited by HappyHamza
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

 

Innocent until proven guilty, of course, but....

 

They've charged him with 39 counts of manslaughter, not murder - and with conspiracy to traffic people, assisting unlawful immigration and money laundering.

Sounds as if they think he was involved in a conspiracy to bring them in, but it went wrong. Manslaughter because he & others were allegedly involved in recklessly endangering life, which unintentionally caused the deaths?

 

If that was the case, he might have been genuinely shocked & called the police on finding the bodies - if he'd just signed up to make some cash by bringing in illegal migrants? He'd only had the container for half an hour or so, hadn't he?

A couple of days ago, they mentioned that his partner is pregnant with twins and he has a £300,000 house....that's high potential outgoings on kids/mortgage. Maybe he was offered money he "couldn't refuse just to bring in a few migrants"?

 

A horrible situation, whatever happened. I hope they get all those involved - and I don't imagine this bloke was the main organiser or the one getting most of the cash for risking the lives of desperate people....

 

Maybe he was contracted to pick up a refrigerated trailer and deliver it somewhere. I’m not sure but I think they’re sealed and only supposed to be opened where they’re delivered to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, HappyHamza said:

Did they pay or were they repaying debt?

And you're making assumptions based on the story of one Vietnamese family when there is no confirmation about their daughter or the origins of anybody in the back of the lorry.

 

And a priest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/10/2019 at 20:26, whoareyaaa said:

apparently the women in the truck had text a relative telling her that she was sorry surely they should have called the police or something if they had access to phones? either way its tragic, as with the world with live in atm. 

They were foreign so may not have known the number etc but even if they did manage to ring 999 what do they say? Which constabulary deals with it? Surely if you're stuck inside the back of a lorry you don't know where you are..

 

The text message was awful to read though, after translation it read something about struggling to breath.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Fox92 said:

They were foreign so may not have known the number etc but even if they did manage to ring 999 what do they say? Which constabulary deals with it? Surely if you're stuck inside the back of a lorry you don't know where you are..

 

The text message was awful to read though, after translation it read something about struggling to breath.

If your location is on they can find you quite quickly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...