Sign in to follow this  
davieG

The Campaign to Re-Open The Ivanhoe Line

https://ivanhoeline.org/?fbclid=IwAR1AjoGcNwNfgQcuVq87RvviuQ8jyW2xrIMBffv64ASQ0XmkSj-61MUWHqo

About the Ivanhoe Line

Prior to 1964 the railway line was a direct passenger link between Burton on Trent and Leicester, but it was closed to passenger services under the Beeching Closures.
Now the area around is growing faster than in many other areas of the UK and a passenger railway is needed urgently.

At present the line is run only for slow-speed freight, mainly ballast trains from Bardon Quarry.  It is our intention to lobby for the realignment and upgrading of the track bed to allow light passenger trains to run a 1/2 hour peak service.

• Like 2

Will never happen, even though it makes sense for commuters and will alleviate the pressure on the A50/A46 into and around Coalville and  Leicester.

They will cite cost as being prohibitive.

The northbound link from the Ivanhoe line to the Midland Mainline was removed and built on years ago. Any train service would have to head south, then reverse back north to Leicester. Not impossible to deal with but blocks the mainline for a short time. Freight trains already have to do this though. 

15 hours ago, The Syrup said:

The northbound link from the Ivanhoe line to the Midland Mainline was removed and built on years ago. Any train service would have to head south, then reverse back north to Leicester. Not impossible to deal with but blocks the mainline for a short time. Freight trains already have to do this though. 

Would there not be enough room to put a northbound curve in by Saffron Lane stadium? I'm guessing there used to be one there?

7 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Would there not be enough room to put a northbound curve in by Saffron Lane stadium? I'm guessing there used to be one there?

I think the whole of Freemens Common sits on where the northbound curve was (or would need to be)

image.thumb.png.38e136910e1ba7accae11c5e307f91a7.png

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

I think the whole of Freemens Common sits on where the northbound curve was (or would need to be)

image.thumb.png.38e136910e1ba7accae11c5e307f91a7.png

I'm no rail engineer obviously, but would there not be room for a single track curve to the immediate east of the athletics track?

28 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I'm no rail engineer obviously, but would there not be room for a single track curve to the immediate east of the athletics track?

Not enough room for a northbound curve on what land is now available. I think the old curve would have come off the mainline around where it says Halfords Putney Rd in the image above. This has been talked about for decades, even when the first part of the Ivanhoe line opened to stations like Syston, Barrow and Sileby. Big investment needed for what is a minor branch line., probably better off investing in more frequent bus services to that part of the county.

• Like 1

It would be a great idea as the area the line passes through is well populated and a railway would probably reduce the travel time from Leicester to Burton to 40-45 minutes, allowing for several stops at intermediate stations. Don't know what the time for the bus is but it would certainly be much more than that as at busy times it can sometimes take over half an hour just to get out of Leicester by road.

Map attached which shows the area as it was in 1952. With a north facing curve exactly where Syrup says.

Map courtesy of the National Library of Scotland web site.

Ivanhoe.PNG

• Like 3

They could re-open the line on cheap if they wanted I guess. Reverse trains at the junction to Leicester so no north curve required, minimal track work could be done as the line is already used by freight trains heading to the quarries, although this might result in a low speed limit and might be bumpy. Some branch lines are starting to introduce 'new' class 230 trains, refurbished tube trains from the 70s that can be fitted with engines or batteries. Much cheaper than new builds. New stations can be basic (like Syston), just a short platform and a bus shelter. 

Class 230 ex-tube trains in action below

• Like 4