Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Talk:

1 hour ago, Gwyn said:

Wow that is intense and also congrats on the business hope it goes well for you. 

I would believe this is where ex players Are fast tracked, ala Southgate, lampard.. Also master, what does fast tracked mean, they gave them an assistant for the homework 🤔🤔😁

In my understanding their has only been one person to manage an a elite football team (Gérard Houlier) was a school teacher, has there been any since? 

Fast tracking I think can be applied to someone who is already at a high profile club. E.g. you were / are an under 23 manager for Man United and they want to make you first team manager.

As for the school teacher thing, Sarri at Juventus was a Bank Manager until he was 45! That's pretty crazy to have done that for so long and still end up at the top club in Italy. Mourinho also started as a translator for Bobby Robson at Barcelona, and hasn't done too badly since!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

There's definitely an argument for that, as every time he plays he seems like a cut above your regular midfielder in the league. He's also not had a consecutive run of games which would no doubt help him a lot, and is already performing IMO better than many players who in the did get a long run in the side such as Adrien Silva, Ayoze Perez, etc.  

But in saying that maintaining balance in any system is super important. Liverpool with Jordan Henderson I think is the best possible example of this. I personally do not rate him as a player at all, as I think he's technically quite poor. BUT for Liverpool as a team they always play so much better when he's involved and whilst he does a lot of the ugly work, it adds up. 

What would I do? I would try to buy a top wide forward in the January transfer window to push Barnes and Perez, and keep 4141 as the primary system with Praet still challenging for places. I would line up 442 Diamond more often though against bottom 10 teams or teams that push full backs on a lot, starting with Norwich. So I don't see Praet as a starter in 4141, but I do see him as a starter in 442 Diamond, if that makes sense. I prefer 4141 in terms of overall team balance and game control but recognise that teams like Everton and Watford parked the bus and we can't use that system in every game.

Fair enough.  I disagree with your ultimate conclusion, but fair enough.

I would also note that I think Praet would probably be better playing as a wing than either of the guys playing there now, if you wanted to stick with the 4-1-4-1...

Not sure what others saw, but I thought we actually looked more dangerous and created more clear cut chances after we switched back to 4-1-4-1 and we were also defensively more solid. When we attack, we basically have 3 upfront (supported just behind the line by 2 more) vs 2 (plus 1) in the diamond. 

Having the diamond alternative is a good option to have though in our pocket.

Edited by Tom12345

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

Not sure what others saw, but I thought we actually looked more dangerous and created more clear cut chances after we switched back to 4-1-4-1 and we were also defensively more solid. When we attack, we basically have 3 upfront (supported just behind the line by 2 more) vs 2 (plus 1) in the diamond. 

Having the diamond alternative is a good option to have though in our pocket.

I think you’re right, but to manage the squad, it was a great way to get some more minutes for different players. We didn’t lose too much of our edge with the diamond though. 

• Like 1

On 13/12/2019 at 22:51, Leeds Fox said:

I think you’re right, but to manage the squad, it was a great way to get some more minutes for different players. We didn’t lose too much of our edge with the diamond though. 

16 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

We were ahead 3-1 with the diamond.  That's what I saw.

Diamond not working against Norwich at the moment ...

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

Diamond not working against Norwich at the moment ...

Yep starting with it cost us the 3 points. Norwich got too much joy through Aarons and Bryam overloading us with their wide forwards. Cantwell easily the best player on the pitch first half. The game was too open and they were far too dangerous. 

Fair play to Rodgers he changed it quickly but then it cost us time and subs and Gray and Barnes couldn’t get into the game. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.coachesvoice.com/england-leicester-premier-league-james-maddison/

James Maddison is one of a new breed of young English midfielders breaking through. Alongside Jack Grealish, Mason Mount and Phil Foden, Maddison leads the way in a group of talented attacking midfielders who are more comfortable between the lines than many of their predecessors in the national team.

He has been huge for Leicester City since his transfer from Norwich City in the summer of 2018, and after playing a key role as they finished fifth in the Premier League in 2019/20, he was rewarded with a new four-year contract. Their manager Brendan Rodgers believes there is also more to come. “James is a very important player for us,” Rodgers said. “He is that type of player that wants to get better. I’ve seen him develop and grow both in his personality and game. He’s definitely on the path to being one of the top players.”

• Thanks 1

A diamond of wilf, praet, youri and Maddison is genuinely the most balanced midfield in the league. 

The issue is that it only works against certain formations.  You could argue currently our best option would be this formation. Our need for another high quality winger is huge. 

If we fluff our signings and have to watch rodrigo play for Leeds it’s going to be enfuriating 

A strange system designed to accommodate two strikers in the modern game. Might have caught a few teams on the hop when it was first implemented but lack of width  makes it relatively easy to exploit.

Edited by l444ry

https://www.statsperform.com/resource/evolution-or-revolution-leicester/

EVOLUTION OR REVOLUTION – LEICESTER

Evolution or Revolution is a new series from Stats Perform looking at which teams need only a few tweaks ahead of the 2020/21 season and which require a fundamental reboot. After an impressive first half of the season, Leicester faded badly after the Premier League returned. Jamie Kemp looks at the reasons why and how Brendan Rodgers can prepare his side to once again challenge for a Champions League spot.

By: Jamie Kemp

The thing I digested from this article is this piece here below. Which clearly demonstrates our problems against the top six.

We lost 7 with 2 draws and only 1 Win. Not really good enough for a team hoping to crack the top 6.

We won't out pass them or out muscle them like Watford did to Liverpool. So how do we improve the stats.

Despite having NDiddi in our team the system is not working against the better teams. We need to stop Teams further up field,by winning the ball earlier thus

preventing them getting close to our Goal. To do this we need at least another strong physical player alongside NDiddi. I see this as a must.

Otherwise we are going to continue to give chances to the opposition. Which means we need to score 2 or more per game and

I can't see that happening too often either.  The signings are hugely important this window if we are to improve.

Leicester’s record against their closest competitors is validated when looking at the Expected Goals (xG) data from these games. Across the 10 clashes with fellow top-six sides, their opponents’ chance creation was twice as high as Brendan Rodgers’ team.

5 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

The thing I digested from this article is this piece here below. Which clearly demonstrates our problems against the top six.

We lost 7 with 2 draws and only 1 Win. Not really good enough for a team hoping to crack the top 6.

We won't out pass them or out muscle them like Watford did to Liverpool. So how do we improve the stats.

Despite having NDiddi in our team the system is not working against the better teams. We need to stop Teams further up field,by winning the ball earlier thus

preventing them getting close to our Goal. To do this we need at least another strong physical player alongside NDiddi. I see this as a must.

Otherwise we are going to continue to give chances to the opposition. Which means we need to score 2 or more per game and

I can't see that happening too often either.  The signings are hugely important this window if we are to improve.

Leicester’s record against their closest competitors is validated when looking at the Expected Goals (xG) data from these games. Across the 10 clashes with fellow top-six sides, their opponents’ chance creation was twice as high as Brendan Rodgers’ team.

Then we do what Puel did and start Choudhury.

11 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Then we do what Puel did and start Choudhury.

Yes, I would but not in a defensive midfield role. I'd still prefer us to sign a Tall strong mobile midfielder to partner NDiddi.

I'd use Choudhury in a free role in front of NDiddi and A N another. with Maddison and Tielemans providing the attacking treat behind Vardy.

Choudhruy is still young and lacks both the height and the discipline for the defensive role in my opinion. I have seen him play for the under 23s where he had a free role and he was excellent at it. A similar role for us breaking up the midfield play of the opposition with NDiddi and Another backing him up and feeding Maddison, Tielemans Barnes, or Perez.

In short he would do the dirty work needed that Maddison and Tielemans don't do because it's not what they're good at.

This would make us a stronger defensive unit but also a more potent attacking force, when we can switch the play quickly from defense to attack.

By moving Maddison and Tielemans into the 10 and 8 roles they're better placed to apply their skills to opening up teams while offering real skill in the oppositions half of the field.

I understand what Brendan was trying to do with Maddison, But the Team suffered as a whole because we lost his attacking threat. Plus he's not mobile enough to transition quickly from defense to attack as evidenced after Christmas. A total waste of his best talents which is skill on the ball and committing defenders.

We'll just have to wait and see who we sign and were Maddison starts. I'll be annoyed if he starts in a deep role alongside NDiddi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

Yes, I would but not in a defensive midfield role. I'd still prefer us to sign a Tall strong mobile midfielder to partner NDiddi.

I'd use Choudhury in a free role in front of NDiddi and A N another. with Maddison and Tielemans providing the attacking treat behind Vardy.

Choudhruy is still young and lacks both the height and the discipline for the defensive role in my opinion. I have seen him play for the under 23s where he had a free role and he was excellent at it. A similar role for us breaking up the midfield play of the opposition with NDiddi and Another backing him up and feeding Maddison, Tielemans Barnes, or Perez.

In short he would do the dirty work needed that Maddison and Tielemans don't do because it's not what they're good at.

This would make us a stronger defensive unit but also a more potent attacking force, when we can switch the play quickly from defense to attack.

By moving Maddison and Tielemans into the 10 and 8 roles they're better placed to apply their skills to opening up teams while offering real skill in the oppositions half of the field.

I understand what Brendan was trying to do with Maddison, But the Team suffered as a whole because we lost his attacking threat. Plus he's not mobile enough to transition quickly from defense to attack as evidenced after Christmas. A total waste of his best talents which is skill on the ball and committing defenders.

We'll just have to wait and see who we sign and were Maddison starts. I'll be annoyed if he starts in a deep role alongside NDiddi.

I agree, against big teams we should still be lining up with a 3 man midfield, with Ndidi holding and Choudhury advanced forwards. I think Maddison might actually be more useful than Tielemans in the threeman midfield against higher pressing teams though, as he is more press-resistant than Tielemans. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I agree, against big teams we should still be lining up with a 3 man midfield, with Ndidi holding and Choudhury advanced forwards. I think Maddison might actually be more useful than Tielemans in the threeman midfield against higher pressing teams though, as he is more press-resistant than Tielemans. 

Definitely, Too much is expected of NDiddi and it's not really fare to him either. He's trying to be everywhere across the midfield and is left vulnerable at times.

I really think Choudhury could do a great job just breaking up play in the opposition Half with Maddison and Tielemans even Perez for support.

At the moment we only stop teams really on the edge of our own area which is always dangerous. This is why we lose out to the better teams as shown by the stats.

Maddison does have a bit more bite in him than Tielemans so yes again you are right, But I still think his best work is in the advanced position where he can thread little balls through, get shots away, win free kicks and penalties. And he goes over so easily that defenders are scared of him. plus he can hold the ball well in tight situations.

All or most of this is lost by giving him a defensive role.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A web seminar hosted by Jesse Marsch, the head coach of RB Salzburg, talking about pressing traps, counter pressing, etc. Really really interesting because we use quite a similar style to his and it will explain a lot of what you see when we play.

Marsch is a great coach actually and it will be interesting to see where he ends up, because he's the type that would be a very good fit here, as he is great at developing young players. Methinks though that he ends up at Leipzig after Naglesman goes to Madrid or similar.