Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
treer

Jamie he is that good

14 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

You forgot to mention one key stat the amount of games he's played compared to the others at this level and yet he is still up there in the stats with the players you are mentioning in a lesser side and with a lot less game time.

by the time he has finished he might not be bottom of the list and I would argue he belongs on that list anyway.

Good night.

No I didn't forget to mention one key stat.....

Please Notice the part of my post that said goals per minutes ratio. Which will be the best metric for comparison as it ignores total games and produces an average.

Vardy averages a goal every 163 minutes. Which is the worse of the names mentioned.

A long way behind Aguero on a goal Evey 106 minutes or Henry a goal every 121 minutes.

Good night to you.

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 1

when I was a kid, a few years after my childhood hero Lineker had left, I put my Lineker VHS  in and realised what a player he was and mourned that I’d probably never see the like again in a Leicester shirt. It took some time but Vardy eventually turned up. It took time not because of the club or it’s struggles, it took time because strikers like Vardy come along once in a generation or two, not for us but for any club, Vardy will go down not only as a legend for us but due to a cult following amongst other clubs fans he’ll go down as a premier league great. 

And lets not not forget Vardy is a big game player, not some flat track bully. And he’s all ours.

oooh Jamie Vardy.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Henry for me but I agree there is a strong case for Shearer as there is strong case for Aguero too he has scored more than 30 goals in 6 premier league seasons and averages a goal every 106 minutes.

Sadly Vardy's case for being the greatest ever premier league striker isn't as strong. It's just not. Hence why he doesn't belong on said list.

The case winning argument I have for Shearer though really is 260 Premier League goals. No-one else even close to that. That's also missing 23 from pre-prem branding. 283 Top Flight league goals. 

8 hours ago, Babylon said:

You can’t compare because I don’t remember Henry or Aguero bottom of the table for 3/4 of a season or in relegation threatened midtable teams. 

Considering the teams he’s been working in, his numbers are nothing short of unbelievable.

Precisely.

Minutes per goal is a flawed metric for this conversation given the relegation battle of a newly promoted team. He scored 4 goals that year.

This is the issue with stats. Without solid interpretation they can mislead.

Cant believe the amount of knicker twisting going on in this thread lol. If somebody believes Vardy is right up there then that's fine. Don't get into an argument about it ffs.

Don't use stats like goals per game/minute ratios as a be all and end all reason for greatness. The team you play in makes a massive difference to this stat. 

The fact is Vardy is a brilliant striker, one who will be remembered for many reasons such as his 11 game consecutive scoring streak (potentially breaking it again) and being the lead striker in a team that did the unthinkable.

Not to mention Vardy's path to the Premier League. Everyone knows the story. 

For me, Vardy is one of the greatest strikers in the Premier League era, that doesn't mean I think he is top 3 or top 5 etc. Who's to say what number of great strikers there has to be, there could be 20 :dunno:. I'm not basing that on simply goals and assists either, I base that on his own individual story and how he has propelled a team from mediocrity to Premier League Champions and now looking good at being Liverpool's nearest challengers this season.

What a player we took a punt on

• Like 4

If you could have an all time premier league 23 man squad, with 4 strikers would he come into the conversation?

Shearer and Henry are undoubtedly the starting pair, who gets the other two spots?

Aguero, Owen, Drogba, Van Nistelrooy, Wright, Kane, Vardy, Ferdinand, Fowler?

Anyone else come into the conversation?

He's deffo top 10 and our number one ever.  I'll tell you what though, if he'd have been discovered at an earlier age and had a slightly different career path I think he might just have been the greatest ever PL striker. He's a phenomenon. He does also hold the record for consecutive goals too and is one of only two players to hit 8 in a row twice so he's easily one of the greatest ever but it's hard to say THE best ever. 

Either way he's certainly world class right now and in the top 10 (I would say top 6) PL strikers in history which when you think about where he came from is fvcking mental. X 

19 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

If you could have an all time premier league 23 man squad, with 4 strikers would he come into the conversation?

Shearer and Henry are undoubtedly the starting pair, who gets the other two spots?

Andy Cole for sure - in his Newcastle days he was a fantastic player, Van Persie and Hasselbaink too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Henry for me but I agree there is a strong case for Shearer as there is strong case for Aguero too he has scored more than 30 goals in 6 premier league seasons and averages a goal every 106 minutes.

Sadly Vardy's case for being the greatest ever premier league striker isn't as strong. It's just not. Hence why he doesn't belong on said list.

Henry is the greatest in the EPL for me also, that would matter not a jot to me though if I were a Leicester fan.

Wherever Vardy ranks in that list (he's one of the best in EPL history anyway, whatever way you look at it) doesn't matter, he's already immortal, a legend in Leicester fans eyes and that's all that matters.  However good Henry, Bergkamp, Shearer, Ronaldo, etc, etc are Leicester fans wouldn't for one minute swap Vardy now or retrospectively for any one of the aforementioned and that's the telling factor.

His god like and immortality status among Leicester fans really strikes a chord with me as we had a similar icon, in a similar vein in Henrik Larsson, someone who at his peak could have left and went anywhere (knocked back Man Utd twice for example) but never and that when you combine with the goals, success, memories etc really makes it the most beautiful thing in modern day football where so much is dictated by money to the point mercenaries are aplenty.

• Like 4

Also, as far as I can see from Wikipedia Shearer's Blackburn and Newcastle finished..... 4th, 2nd, 1st, 7th, 2nd, 13th, 13th, 11th, 11th, 4th, 3rd, 5th, 14th and 7th during his time with both teams.  Quite a few seasons there where he wasn't playing for an amazing team and he still scored freely.

I love Vardy, he is my favourite ever player but it does not make any of us less of a fan if we think that, objectively, it's probably hard to to argue he is THE GREATEST EVER.  Put it this way, if Vardy held the record for most PL goals ever with over 14 years at the very highest level would you be arguing that he was not the best ever because another striker scored nearly as well over a shorter time period at a "worse" club?

Edited by RumbleFox

Spotted on Football365 Winners and Losers (and of course this is in the Winners category)… 

Jamie Vardy and Coleen Rooney
I’m not saying it’s all a conspiracy that goes to the very top, but since Coleen outed Rebekah Vardy on Twitter her husband has scored in eight Premier League matches in a row. A grand plan masterminded by boyhood Everton supporter Wayne Rooney to motivate Vardy and stop Liverpool winning the league? Not for me to say.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Lol that was a great win but people are getting a bit carried away. Bare in mind he has only scored 20 premier league goals in 2 seasons out of 5 so far. Hes one of the most iconic players of his generation and the best player in our clubs history. But not sure he's up there with the greatest ever premier league strikers like Drogba, Henry, Aguero, Shearer etc.

Also wasn't Cantona more of skillful number 10 Dennis Bergkamp type than a prolific goal scorer?

The players you mentioned all played for clubs that dominated perhaps apart from shearer who is still the benchmark imo.

7 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

you’ve literally forgotten the name, wayne rooney 

Yeah, bit mad that Rooney hasn't popped up in those mentioned - there's a good argument to be made that his 09/10 season was the best ever from a striker in the Premier League era. Suarez in 13/14, Shearer in 94/95, Henry 03/04 all incredible but Rooney that season was unreal, I think it's a bit of a shame that because his decline was *so* sudden people forget just how bloody good he was. 

It's not through any bias - but as good as Kane's figures are, I don't think he's influenced the league (for want of a better term) as much as any of those. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

But that’s what makes Vardy a freak - not at a big club but still stacking up the goals. 

He will be remembered in a similar way to Matt Le Tissier with most fans saying "what could have been if he joined a big club"  We are forever doomed to be condescended. 

The difference is Vardy is a premier league winner and more trophy's could be coming! 

I see Vardy as one of the best players in the history of the premier league, it's unfair to compare his stats to another player while he only played in six PL seasons, he might not be the most all time pl scorer but Vardy way of playing, being the most dangerous striker, his intelligence and pace and having a unique style of play, you can't simply find all that in someone else, i put him above Mane, Henri, Drogba, but under Ronaldo

All I want to say is, he has to be the FIND of the CENTURY in football terms.

Picked up as a 25 yr old from non league for 1mil. Been with us ever since and leading the goal scoring charts in the EPL and with us sitting second in the table.

People may talk about a whole bunch of other players - say in our case like Maddison, Ricardo, Soyuncu or even Evans - and they are proving to be bargains, but they were professionals, more known playing in top leagues already.

Mahrez and Kante may come close but there is nothing short of a miracle in terms of finding Vardy and the success he has had since. 

Legend.

• Like 1

https://onefootball.com/en/news/amongst-the-elite-this-leicester-players-second-coming-puts-him-within-europes-best-en-28341931

“Before the weekend only Lionel Messi and Robert Lewandoski had scored more league goals than Vardy in 2019. Though a brace against Villa, with the Pole failing to score, means that only the six-time Ballon d’Or winner has found the back of the net more often this year.

This season in the top five European leagues it is just Ciro Immobile who has outscored the Premier League’s front runner. Lazio’s Italian poacher is only a single goal ahead of his English counterpart on 17, though he has contributed to 47per cent of his sides Serie A goals this term, six per cent more than Vardy. It means that when factoring in UEFA’s coefficient, the Foxes striker is just one strike away from going joint-level in the race to bag the European goal-scoring prize.”