Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
davieG

Rodgers' plans for U23s

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Worth noting: Claude held this view too and attended U23 games on a very regular basis.

 

Personally I think this is club driven and was one of the many reasons we brought in Rodgers, as he has the skills and experience to implement it. 

 

Either way I'm ****ing thrilled and can't wait to see more academy graduates break into the squad.

 

With the owners' focus on developing the club in all aspects ie. improving our sports science and back room setup with Pearson and building a state of the art training ground to improve the academy it makes sense that they've been wanting to do something like this. I'm sure you're right about it being one of the topics discussed prior to appointing Brendan and he must have indicated a willingness to be a part of that.

 

Honestly I've been blown away by how much of a good fit Rodgers has been for our club, a man I was completely against us getting in. I was, to say the least, dubious he'd be able to make the step up from a team like Celtic but we're not even a full year into his tenure and I think there's every chance that with enough time he might reach the same status as Pearson.  I don't say that lightly, it's about the heaviest thing I can say about a Leicester manager since Pearson is basically god.  It really feels like the owners' long term plans are coming together wonderfully right now.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fox766 said:

Without sounding really cringe and cliche and I know it's still very early in is reign. But do we think Rodgers could be our Fergie type manager. The way he talks reminds me of what Fergie did for Man Utd in the early 90's.

Wouldn't it be great if, like Fergie, Rodgers publicly announced he wanted to 'knock Liverpool off their f******* perch'

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely the way to go. It means if we have to bring someone from the 23s in as a sub . Should they be called upon they will know the system.  This will reduce errors as they know whats  expected of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Can't we find a better name? I remember the ridicule when those up the A6 went on about the Derby way. A bit cringy, we're better than that. 

 

That said, so much better developing our own. Seagrave is going to be pivitol in this. 

The Foxes Filosophy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Billy Big Balls said:

Has there been a noticeable change to the way the u23s play already? Is that why the results have improved or is it just coincidence? 

.. noticeable the way we are playing recently!! 

  When you see Darnell bringing the ball out of the back and bringing defenders out of position points to an acknowledgement of the new system being implemented. We are creating chances at will, with the movement of the forwards supported by midfielders pressing high. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Loans are good but its crucial they find the right teams to loan them to. If our players are being taught to play a certain way, we don't want them being loaned to a team who plays like Burnley for example as it would not be productive for them at all. They'd need to join a top championship team but its whether any of them are ready for that level yet. If not, they'd be better staying with the u23's. 

Yeah I’m with you on this. Knight definitely benefits from Peterborough. But apparently Ndukwu asked for a loan ages ago, was repeatedly denied and eventually sent to the Southend trainwreck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SO1 said:

"The Leicester Way" Love the sound of that!

Me too, but I’m a Cubs fan and Theo Epstein used the exact same language talking about our farm system after we won the title the same year Leicester did, and it’s turned into a debacle...  Words are just words.  They’re nice words, but being a sports fan has taught me not to get too giddy during the good times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Me too, but I’m a Cubs fan and Theo Epstein used the exact same language talking about our farm system after we won the title the same year Leicester did, and it’s turned into a debacle...  Words are just words.  They’re nice words, but being a sports fan has taught me not to get too giddy during the good times.

If you're a Cubs fan then you should know better than anyone that you have to enjoy it while you can:clap:

Provided its done right this move will give us the chance of being in the top six on a more consistent basis.

Don't think we have the cash to compete with the big boys but it sounds like we're doing everything possible to optimize our competitiveness including Moneyball.

Time will tell but it seems like the best use of our resources to go the route we are going. Surely better than throwing wads of cash at talent that might have limited resale value.

 

Words are just words to be sure. But words can also be dreams and ideas. And when that turns into reality it can sometimes feel like magic.

You know what I'm talking about.(Cubs Fan)  I know it can go the other way.

But really when it comes down to it I have no skin in the game. I'm here for the ride. Like a roller coaster.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

With the owners' focus on developing the club in all aspects ie. improving our sports science and back room setup with Pearson and building a state of the art training ground to improve the academy it makes sense that they've been wanting to do something like this. I'm sure you're right about it being one of the topics discussed prior to appointing Brendan and he must have indicated a willingness to be a part of that.

 

Honestly I've been blown away by how much of a good fit Rodgers has been for our club, a man I was completely against us getting in. I was, to say the least, dubious he'd be able to make the step up from a team like Celtic but we're not even a full year into his tenure and I think there's every chance that with enough time he might reach the same status as Pearson.  I don't say that lightly, it's about the heaviest thing I can say about a Leicester manager since Pearson is basically god.  It really feels like the owners' long term plans are coming together wonderfully right now.  

So happy you were wrong too! 

 

To be honest the long term planning at the club has been phenomenal. Success can't be achieved overnight and throwing money at it just creates it's own problems, as Sven's time here proved. Getting Pearson, Shakespeare and Walsh back was absolutely ****ing crucial to everything. Walsh's interview with The Athletic was very revealing - Vichai gave them a proper blank slate to rebuild everything from the ground up. Scouting, recruitment, physios; the upgrades to Belvoir Drive in 2011 as revealed by the Birch:

 

 

Followed by the sports science stuff after we lost to Watford in 2013: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26943611

 

And now we have one of the best training facilities around opening next summer. Chilwell, Harvey and Hamza have all come through the academy at Belvoir Drive, mainly under Puel (and Ranieri in Chilwell's case) - just imagine what we can bring forward after a few years at Park Hill under Brendan Rodgers? He's everything we need to move up to the next level.

 

It's all coming together and I'm so excited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SO1 said:

If you're a Cubs fan then you should know better than anyone that you have to enjoy it while you can:clap:

Provided its done right this move will give us the chance of being in the top six on a more consistent basis.

Don't think we have the cash to compete with the big boys but it sounds like we're doing everything possible to optimize our competitiveness including Moneyball.

Time will tell but it seems like the best use of our resources to go the route we are going. Surely better than throwing wads of cash at talent that might have limited resale value.

 

Words are just words to be sure. But words can also be dreams and ideas. And when that turns into reality it can sometimes feel like magic.

You know what I'm talking about.(Cubs Fan)  I know it can go the other way.

But really when it comes down to it I have no skin in the game. I'm here for the ride. Like a roller coaster.

Hey listen, I'd rather we be saying smart stuff than dumb stuff.  And I'm glad the organization understands the importance of consistency up and down the development chain.  I'm just not gonna get excited over public statements.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very hard to be negative about this - so I have some (not much) respect for anyone who has a negative take on this and thinks that looking after the youth and building from the ground up is a bad idea.. Just please don't go outside on Thursday if that's the sort of person you are..

Edited by trabuch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Billy Big Balls said:

Has there been a noticeable change to the way the u23s play already? Is that why the results have improved or is it just coincidence? 

They been told if they perform they play for Rodgers himself, and oddly they all finding that extra energy. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Hey listen, I'd rather we be saying smart stuff than dumb stuff.  And I'm glad the organization understands the importance of consistency up and down the development chain.  I'm just not gonna get excited over public statements.

I enjoy being excited and optimistic. It's depressing for me to think negatively about ideas in the process of becoming.

If I want that I'll read the news and watch my country fall apart in slow motion.:)

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...