Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Starmer Next Labour Leader

Guest MattP
On 08/01/2020 at 17:22, Bilo said:

The reality is that if, as looks likely, Starmer becomes leader the LP becomes a serious party again. 

No more scraping the barrel for a Shadow Cabinet, (I'm looking forward to Benn vs Raab and Cooper vs Patel,) probably jettisoning the real swivel-eyed Corbots who think the Canary, Novara Media and Skwawkbox are serious news outlets and, on that subject, the likes of Aaron Bastani, Ash Sarkar et al become utterly irrelevant again. 

You think there is a chance people like Benn and Cooper walk back into the cabinet? Optimistic I'd say.

Did anyone see Andrew Neil last night with Clive Lewis? lol

He blamed the election result on the system, Tony Blair, Brexit, racism and a few others - guess who wasnt to blame?

Edited by MattP

Labour MPs Rebecca Long Bailey, Lisa Nandy and Jess Phillips have secured support to run in the party's leadership contest.

The MPs for Salford and Eccles, Birmingham Yardley and Wigan join Sir Keir Starmer on the ballot paper to replace Jeremy Corbyn.

Candidates need 22 Labour MPs or MEPs to nominate them before Monday.

Emily Thornberry and Clive Lewis have also declared they are running, with Barry Gardiner considering joining.

However, Ms Thornberry - the shadow foreign secretary - has only secured seven nominations so far, while Mr Lewis - a shadow treasury minister - has four.

There is also a contest to become deputy leader after Tom Watson stepped down in December.

The new leader and deputy leader will be announced on 4 April.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Labour MPs Rebecca Long Bailey, Lisa Nandy and Jess Phillips have secured support to run in the party's leadership contest.

The MPs for Salford and Eccles, Birmingham Yardley and Wigan join Sir Keir Starmer on the ballot paper to replace Jeremy Corbyn.

Candidates need 22 Labour MPs or MEPs to nominate them before Monday.

Emily Thornberry and Clive Lewis have also declared they are running, with Barry Gardiner considering joining.

However, Ms Thornberry - the shadow foreign secretary - has only secured seven nominations so far, while Mr Lewis - a shadow treasury minister - has four.

There is also a contest to become deputy leader after Tom Watson stepped down in December.

The new leader and deputy leader will be announced on 4 April.

Nominations: Starmer 59, Long Bailey 26, Phillips 22, Nandy 22, Thornberry 7, Lewis 4.....according to the Mail.

That leaves only about 63 MPs yet to nominate, by my reckoning.....and presumably some will nominate nobody and others will want to get behind a candidate with a chance.

So, I reckon Thornberry & Lewis have had it and we might have our final 4....

Gardiner is a funny one. He's strongly identified with Corbyn these days, but was a junior minister under Blair, opposed Brown's succession as PM, nominated David Miliband in 2010 & didn't nominate anyone in 2015 or 2016, according to Wiki.....:blink:

Given his role as a prominent Corbyn apologist, though, surely he can only get on the ballot if Long Bailey pulls out or a lot of her supporters switch to him (DK if they're allowed to do that - probably are, I imagine). 

15 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Nominations: Starmer 59, Long Bailey 26, Phillips 22, Nandy 22, Thornberry 7, Lewis 4.....according to the Mail.

That leaves only about 63 MPs yet to nominate, by my reckoning.....and presumably some will nominate nobody and others will want to get behind a candidate with a chance.

So, I reckon Thornberry & Lewis have had it and we might have our final 4....

Gardiner is a funny one. He's strongly identified with Corbyn these days, but was a junior minister under Blair, opposed Brown's succession as PM, nominated David Miliband in 2010 & didn't nominate anyone in 2015 or 2016, according to Wiki.....:blink:

Given his role as a prominent Corbyn apologist, though, surely he can only get on the ballot if Long Bailey pulls out or a lot of her supporters switch to him (DK if they're allowed to do that - probably are, I imagine). 

I can see those 63 all voting for Thornberry

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

Surely many of them will be supporting your campaign - with Diane Abbott as Deputy Leader to serve under you?

As the far right are now in full force, I have decided to take my anti-x views and re-ignite the BNP.

We have received substantial funding from @MattP and @DANGEROUS TIGER

Dianne Abbot and Kieth Vaz have been welcomed to be my deputy's.

53 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

As the far right are now in full force, I have decided to take my anti-x views and re-ignite the BNP.

We have received substantial funding from @MattP and @DANGEROUS TIGER

Dianne Abbot and Kieth Vaz have been welcomed to be my deputy's.

So you're going to be sandwiched between Vaz and Abbot, well, you've got my vote just for the Lols :beer:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tuna said:

lol

A genuine shame.

Looks like we could only have four in the final race, annoying as Lewis and Thornberry in the hastings would have been great for the Tories.

19 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

tbh Long Bailey could do with a "joke" candidate if she's to have any hope, can't be seen as the "Corbyn" candidate. 

We'll see. Being a "Corbyn" candidate will actually win her a lot of votes in the ballot of Labour members and affiliated supporters. 

Clive Lewis is bonkers, he's going full Baroness Warsi on his own party. Everything and everyone appears to be racist unless he gets the nominations needed.

Not a good day for Jess Phillips either.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7877565/Jess-Phillips-suspends-one-key-aides-posting-offensive-antisemitic-tweets.html

If that was happening under your nose for some considerable time you probably aren't the candidate to sort out the antisemitism problem.

Looking like a three horse race, Starmer way out in front with RBL and Nandy as outside chances. 

5 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

It's time Labour disbanded and just joined the Lib Dems. 

If you lot weren't so weird you would probably have managed to replace Labour as the main left wing party in the country by now.

If you can't even increase your MP's whilst Corbyn is in charge of then its probably time to pack up anyway.

42 minutes ago, MattP said:

If you lot weren't so weird you would probably have managed to replace Labour as the main left wing party in the country by now.

If you can't even increase your MP's whilst Corbyn is in charge of then its probably time to pack up anyway.

Nothing to do with being "weird" (if we are weird then how do you describe Labour?) More to do with FPTP and the way the media handles it. 

2 hours ago, MattP said:

By that, do you mean if the Lib Dems actually stood for anything other than the modern perversion that is middle class faux liberalism? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MattP said:

lol

Emily Thornberry will join four other candidates on the ballot to become the next Labour leader, after winning the support of enough MPs and MEPs.

The shadow foreign secretary passed the threshold of 22 backers less than 10 minutes before nominations closed.

She was helped by Clive Lewis quitting the race - with several of his backers switching to back her candidacy.

Sir Keir Starmer, Rebecca Long Bailey, Lisa Nandy and Jess Phillips had already qualified for the next stage.

The deputy Labour leader post is also vacant after Tom Watson stood down from Parliament.

ll five candidates - Angela Rayner, Ian Murray, Dawn Butler, Rosena Allin-Khan and Richard Burgon - have secured enough nominations to get onto the ballot paper.

21 minutes ago, davieG said:

The deputy Labour leader post is also vacant after Tom Watson stood down from Parliament.

ll five candidates - Angela Rayner, Ian Murray, Dawn Butler, Rosena Allin-Khan and Richard Burgon - have secured enough nominations to get onto the ballot paper.

Allin-Khan has always been impressive whenever I’ve seen her speak on safe standing 

Not surprised Lewis didnt make it, very surprised Emily Thornberry got the numbers. She must be desperate to stay in the shadow cabinet to put herself through even more humiliation. 

Richard Burgon got the numbers to be in the deputy race lol Amazing.