Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Starmer Next Labour Leader

4 hours ago, Strokes said:

All the hallmarks of the next Dianne Abbott.

4 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

Whilst Abbott's Mathematics and general clumsiness is funny, she seems to know she's a figure of fun.

Burgon is next level hilarious though as he actually thinks hes a top level politician and manages to make himself look a complete moron as he's often rewritten history in his own head - these two lines were in interviews less than a week apart lol

18 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

Whilst Abbott's Mathematics and general clumsiness is funny, she seems to know she's a figure of fun.

Burgon is next level hilarious though as he actually thinks hes a top level politician and manages to make himself look a complete moron as he's often rewritten history in his own head - these two lines were in interviews less than a week apart lol

He so gaffe prone it’s unreal, it’s like the gift that keeps on giving.

They elect him and they’ll stay exactly where they are.....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

After careful consideration, I can exclusively reveal my current list of preferences for Labour Deputy Leader.....

1. Angela Rayner

2. Rosena Allin-Khan or Ian Murray

3. Rosena Allin-Khan or Ian Murray

4. Robert Huth

5. @Strokes

6. Mr. Blobby

7. @MattP

8. Noel Edmonds

9. Dawn Butler

10. A doner kebab with salad and extra chillies

11. Richard Burgon's fart

12. Richard Burgon

Pleased I’m ahead of Mr Blobby the bloody fascist.

Edited by Strokes

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Stay comfy Jezza lol

If Lab, Con & LD are down 6% between them, who are all those votes swinging to? SNP/Plaid? Greens? Late surge for the Brexit Party because they haven't got Brexit done yet?  :dunno:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

After careful consideration, I can exclusively reveal my current list of preferences for Labour Deputy Leader.....

1. Angela Rayner

2. Rosena Allin-Khan or Ian Murray

3. Rosena Allin-Khan or Ian Murray

4. Robert Huth

5. @Strokes

6. Mr. Blobby

7. @MattP

8. Noel Edmonds

9. Dawn Butler

10. A doner kebab with salad and extra chillies

11. Richard Burgon's fart

12. Richard Burgon

lol

I had a look at the nominations for Burgon and it was exactly who I expected, Dan Carden, Diane Abbott, John McDonnell, Claudia Webbe (losing Vaz actually looks a blow if this is the replacement) Jon Trickett, Ian Lavery.

So the Corbynista choice appears to be Long-Bailey/Burgon rather than Rayner. If we get the latter we could have another Corbyn/Watson situation politically but with the hope a personal friendship can hold it together??

Good article in the Indy 

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-leadership-nominations-richard-burgon-jeremy-corbyn-keir-starmer-a9282031.html

I think the longer time goes on the more madder the Corbyn era will be seen historically, it's pretty incredible to think he only got on the ballot paper as some MP's felt sorry for him despite knowing his complete incompetence and history of associating with appalling people. 

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

If Lab, Con & LD are down 6% between them, who are all those votes swinging to? SNP/Plaid? Greens? Late surge for the Brexit Party because they haven't got Brexit done yet?  :dunno:

Bloody good point. I dont know this but is "undecided" now an option again given we aren't in an election period??

2 hours ago, MattP said:

I think the longer time goes on the more madder the Corbyn era will be seen historically, it's pretty incredible to think he only got on the ballot paper as some MP's felt sorry for him despite knowing his complete incompetence and history of associating with appalling people. 

I seem to remember it was Andrew Smith, the (moderate) Oxford MP, who gave the final MP support, just minutes before the deadline, to ensure there was a broader choice of candidate. 

Just now, Manini said:

How much of that do you reckon will be down to Momentum upping the pressure Matt? 

Very little at the minute as the contest has barely started. I'm amazed to be honest, at this point I thought Starmer would be on 50+ purely on his support base and already high profile and then that would drop as they attacked him.

Hope you are on RBL @Strokes at 5/2 - won't be that now.

Just now, LiberalFox said:

That can't be serious surely?

Yep. Survation as well who have nailed the last two elections.

I'm tempted to mock up a fake one with Richard Burgon leading the deputy race but if @Alf Bentley ended up back in hospital after reading it I'd never forgive myself!

3 hours ago, MattP said:

Very little at the minute as the contest has barely started. I'm amazed to be honest, at this point I thought Starmer would be on 50+ purely on his support base and already high profile and then that would drop as they attacked him.

Hope you are on RBL @Strokes at 5/2 - won't be that now.

Yeah I stuck £50 on it, if those were the odds you quoted at the time that’s what I’m on.

Labour leadership: Candidates seek union backing in next phase of contest
15 January 2020

Ms Nandy has won the backing of the National Union of Mineworkers
Labour leadership hopefuls are seeking the backing of unions and local parties as the contest's next stage begins.

The five contenders need the support of 5% of local parties or at least three affiliates - two must be unions - by 14 February to make the final ballot.

The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said it would be backing Lisa Nandy.

And SERA, an environmental campaign group affiliated to the party, has said it is supporting Sir Keir Starmer, who already has the backing of Unison.

Other unions, such as Unite and the GMB, have yet to make up their minds.

Jeremy Corbyn's successor as Labour leader will be announced on 4 April. He is stepping down after Labour's defeat in December's general election, its fourth election defeat in a row.

In the first phase of the contest, Sir Keir won the backing of most MPs and MEPs, well ahead of Rebecca Long-Bailey, Ms Nandy, Jess Phillips and Emily Thornberry. Clive Lewis pulled out after failing to secure enough support.

'Crucial moment'
The NUM said it was backing Wigan MP Ms Nandy because "she represents a coalfield community and has stood with us in our fights for justice and regeneration".

The union, whose membership has shrunk considerably since its heyday in the 1970s and 1980s, said it was "confident she is the leader who can take Labour back into government once again".

In an interview with the BBC's Andrew Neil, Ms Nandy said Labour members would have to make the "brave choice" and not "play it safe" when it came to electing their next leader.

She said she had fought many battles before entering Parliament and since, making her a good candidate to be next prime minister.

She said she would abolish tuition fees, renationalise Royal Mail and renew Trident - Britain's nuclear deterrent - "if it was coupled with a strong commitment to multi-lateral disarmament".

Ms Nandy also said she did not support another Scottish independence referendum, saying: "I think this country has had enough of referendums."

Elsewhere, in a speech on Wednesday, Ms Nandy criticised Mr Corbyn for his response to Russia's alleged involvement in the poisoning of British citizens in Salisbury in 2018, saying he was "completely wrong" to have called for dialogue after the events.

"At a crucial moment, we hesitated in condemning an authoritarian regime... that used chemical weapons on the streets of the UK," she said.

She also said the UK should refuse to sign a trade deal with the US unless it signs back up to the Paris climate deal, which President Trump withdrew from in 2017.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, davieG said:

Labour leadership: Candidates seek union backing in next phase of contest
15 January 2020

Ms Nandy has won the backing of the National Union of Mineworkers
Labour leadership hopefuls are seeking the backing of unions and local parties as the contest's next stage begins.

The five contenders need the support of 5% of local parties or at least three affiliates - two must be unions - by 14 February to make the final ballot.

The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said it would be backing Lisa Nandy.

And SERA, an environmental campaign group affiliated to the party, has said it is supporting Sir Keir Starmer, who already has the backing of Unison.

Other unions, such as Unite and the GMB, have yet to make up their minds.

Jeremy Corbyn's successor as Labour leader will be announced on 4 April. He is stepping down after Labour's defeat in December's general election, its fourth election defeat in a row.

In the first phase of the contest, Sir Keir won the backing of most MPs and MEPs, well ahead of Rebecca Long-Bailey, Ms Nandy, Jess Phillips and Emily Thornberry. Clive Lewis pulled out after failing to secure enough support.

'Crucial moment'
The NUM said it was backing Wigan MP Ms Nandy because "she represents a coalfield community and has stood with us in our fights for justice and regeneration".

The union, whose membership has shrunk considerably since its heyday in the 1970s and 1980s, said it was "confident she is the leader who can take Labour back into government once again".

In an interview with the BBC's Andrew Neil, Ms Nandy said Labour members would have to make the "brave choice" and not "play it safe" when it came to electing their next leader.

She said she had fought many battles before entering Parliament and since, making her a good candidate to be next prime minister.

She said she would abolish tuition fees, renationalise Royal Mail and renew Trident - Britain's nuclear deterrent - "if it was coupled with a strong commitment to multi-lateral disarmament".

Ms Nandy also said she did not support another Scottish independence referendum, saying: "I think this country has had enough of referendums."

Elsewhere, in a speech on Wednesday, Ms Nandy criticised Mr Corbyn for his response to Russia's alleged involvement in the poisoning of British citizens in Salisbury in 2018, saying he was "completely wrong" to have called for dialogue after the events.

"At a crucial moment, we hesitated in condemning an authoritarian regime... that used chemical weapons on the streets of the UK," she said.

She also said the UK should refuse to sign a trade deal with the US unless it signs back up to the Paris climate deal, which President Trump withdrew from in 2017.

That would make for an interesting standoff.