Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Starmer Next Labour Leader

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

Anyway...

If it's Burgon we all shout Sweaty Burgon as he dehydrates himself through PMQs.
Lisa Nandy looks like a shepherd dressed up to meet the Queen

If it's Starner, we're ****ed. 

Are you a fvcking horse?

Nice reminder to make sure I watch the Christmas specials at some point over the next two weeks. Cheers.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, MattP said:

Amazing how people see things isn't it? As a Tory voter I'd be picking Starmer as the Labour leader as it would pretty much confirm to the country.they are a middle class party of London - although I agree he's the most competent of the lot. (Not saying much in this day and age)

The talent pool is drained though, how does a political party manage to lose Akan Johnson and Andy Burhham whilst gaining Richard Burgon and Chris Williamson? Mental. All these nutters you kicked out of the party over the last three decades have all rejoined since 2015. Race does look between Starmer and RBL though.

Biggest problem for Labour is that Scotland is gone, it either goes independent or it just returns a shedload of SNP MP's - to win a GE you've got to now win England and Wales, I think in only 1997 have they ever done that.

Hard to judge how Starmer would be perceived. There's the obvious risk that he's closely associated with anti-Brexit politics.....but where will Brexit be in 5 years time? A great success? A massive failure? A non-issue? We can all guess....

I had assumed that Starmer came from a posh background, but apparently his Dad was a toolmaker and his Mum a nurse - surprised me, that. Then look at Boris - upper-middle class, if not upper class, MP for London, former London mayor, super-posh southerner....doesn't seem to do him much harm, does it? So, maybe if the policy platform and personality are right, the class/region matter less?

Massive shame that Johnson didn't stand for leader in 2010. I expected to be a keen Burnham supporter in 2015 but thought he had a very poor leadership campaign - seems to have perked up again now, but I assume the likes of him and Sadiq will try to stay put as mayors until the national party's prospects look more promising.

As for Burgon, I think I'd prefer to have Jimmy Savile or Fred West as leader / deputy leader, dead or alive. :D

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

As I say though, I think that's way less of an issue than people think for an electorate who've just elected the person they have. Plus, Starmer admitted in that Guardian interview he doesn't play up his roots - if he became leader I think that would be played up for him whether he wanted them to be or not. The guy is the very model of what can be achieved in a socially mobile country.

I like Burnham as a bloke, but he'll still be licking his wounds for a little while after 2015. It's going to be interesting to see in future whether the recently created mayoral pathway works for Labour as it has for Johnson.

As for Williamson, his result in Derby North gave me some much needed relief on Friday morning. The fvcking ****. :D

Yes, Williamson's result was one of the few highlights for me, too.

Standing in his own seat, he finished 6th out of 6 with a few hundred votes, well behind both the Greens and the Brexit Party, never mind Con, Lab & LD. lol

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

As I say though, I think that's way less of an issue than people think for an electorate who've just elected the person they have. Plus, Starmer admitted in that Guardian interview he doesn't play up his roots - if he became leader I think that would be played up for him whether he wanted them to be or not. The guy is the very model of what can be achieved in a socially mobile country.

I like Burnham as a bloke, but he'll still be licking his wounds for a little while after 2015. It's going to be interesting to see in future whether the recently created mayoral pathway works for Labour as it has for Johnson.

As for Williamson, his result in Derby North gave me some much needed relief on Friday morning. The fvcking ****. :D

I just don't see Starmer as someone ever being PM - too wooden, too London, too Remain, too close to this last disastrous campaign. He just isn't the guy who is going to win back Bolsover and Bassetlaw. As I say the problem is he's the best candidate by a mile despite these things.

Who have Labour got who can sit on a bulldozer, hide in a fridge and dangle off a zipwire and the public response be "classic xxxxx" rather than FFS what is he doing. 

Speaking of Chris Williamson - did you see this yesterday? He's going from slightly bonkers to all out nuts.

I'll let you get who he blames for the defeat before you watch thislol

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Speaking of Chris Williamson - did you see this yesterday? He's going from slightly bonkers to all out nuts.

He has a natural role as warm-up man for Galloway. Same combination of demagoguery, amorality, extremism & opportunism, just not as bright and articulate as "Gorgeous George" (as he was apparently known among the ladies).

I wonder what happened with the crowd-funding money that he mentions. That would be an audit trail worth following. lol

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Yes, Williamson's result was one of the few highlights for me, too.

Standing in his own seat, he finished 6th out of 6 with a few hundred votes, well behind both the Greens and the Brexit Party, never mind Con, Lab & LD. lol

1 hour ago, MattP said:

The guy's a headcase. Put more literature through my door than all the other parties combined too (I got none from Labour). I'm amazed 600 people here liked him enough without a red rosette on to vote for him.

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

He has a natural role as warm-up man for Galloway. Same combination of demagoguery, amorality, extremism & opportunism, just not as bright and articulate as "Gorgeous George" (as he was apparently known among the ladies).

I wonder what happened with the crowd-funding money that he mentions. That would be an audit trail worth following. lol

I'm just reading he was the first sitting MP to manage to lose his deposit lol

I genuinely think were he still in the party he'd be throwing his hat in the ring for leader and with the current membership he'd probably stand a chance.

When the inquiry comes into this defeat for Labour his selection and time it took to get rid of him should be looked at.

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

All this 'prolier-than-thou' stuff in British politics - "my Dad was a bus driver" etc - is pretty tiresome. Reminds me of the Monty Python Yorkshiremen sketch. 

About time you threw your hat into the ring - and casually revealed that your father used to sell seaweed from King's Lynn harbour and your mother was a chambermaid at Sandringham. :whistle:

23 minutes ago, bovril said:

All this 'prolier-than-thou' stuff in British politics - "my Dad was a bus driver" etc - is pretty tiresome. Reminds me of the Monty Python Yorkshiremen sketch. 

To be fair I already knew Starmer's dad was a "toolmaker".

Edited by MattP

40 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Are you a fvcking horse?

Nice reminder to make sure I watch the Christmas specials at some point over the next two weeks. Cheers.

I watched the one where Tickel dies on election night as a warm up, as it's a personal favourite. I'll definitely have to give the Christmas specials another go over the coming days too!

I still can't see any of the actors in any other programme/film without seeing them as their Thick of It characters, particularly Ben Swain who pops up in everything. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

About time you threw your hat into the ring - and casually revealed that your father used to sell seaweed from King's Lynn harbour and your mother was a chambermaid at Sandringham. :whistle:

Are you suggesting bovril part royal?

I watched the one where Tickel dies on election night as a warm up, as it's a personal favourite. I'll definitely have to give the Christmas specials another go over the coming days too!

I still can't see any of the actors in any other programme/film without seeing them as their Thick of It characters, particularly Ben Swain who pops up in everything. 

Yeah. Very weird seeing Jamie as a nervous bent copper in Line of Duty.

• Like 1

As if staying on wasn't bad enough (I mean every day he stays it looks less and less a serious party) he's now going to still try and enforce the party whip as the leader. :unsure:

He's completely deluded, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he tries to cling on come next year.

I'm imagine we'll see more than a couple of absentions. 

24 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'd be worried about the kind of stuff from social media the press would dig up. Especially comments I made post Middlesbrough January 2013 when I said I hoped that would be the last we saw of Jamie Vardy....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I'd be worried about the kind of stuff from social media the press would dig up. Especially comments I made post Middlesbrough January 2013 when I said I hoped that would be the last we saw of Jamie Vardy....

Should be fine as long as nobody draws attention to it.

• Haha 1

“You’re so back bench you’ve actually ****ing fallen off. You’re out by the ****ing bins where I put you. Your hands. You were like a sweaty octopus trying to undo a bra” 

• Haha 3

I watched the one where Tickle dies on election night as a warm up, as it's a personal favourite. I'll definitely have to give the Christmas specials another go over the coming days too!

ITS NOT TICKLE ITS TICKEL!!

Hahaha I’ve been on Wiki quote to remind myself of some of the writing in TTOI. 

When they’re at 5 live and Emma walks in and Glenn asks if she’s had a nice dinner - “**** off Bagpuss” 

lol absolutely genius 

2 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Watching PolticsLive on BBC2 and it was cringeworthy, the Labour spokesperson really has taken very little on board, still backing Corbyn and blaming the media.

lol

That's Richard Burgon, the next deputy leader.

#backburgon