Sign in to follow this  
StriderHiryu

Merih Demiral

52 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Loan.

Do you if it was a loan with a view to a permanent or just a straight loan Abrasive?

18 hours ago, lcfcnsk said:

This is the option I’m most interested in. Seems the most adaptable to the premier league, out of all the foreign cb’s we’ve been linked to.

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

It's not yet January, are we allowed to have yet made a bid? 

Think you can bid any time and even agree a fee, they just can’t be registered until the window opens, something like that 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mehrez said:

Think you can bid any time and even agree a fee, they just can’t be registered until the window opens, something like that 

Yes, that was my understanding. Could be wrong but it is unlikely :ph34r:

50 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Don't fancy a third choice centre back for "upwards of 30 million pounds" to be honest. Especially not one that will be "too good for the bench" there's no telling how he'll react to an extended layoff, especially seeing as he's coming from a club where he's mostly benched. Much prefer Ben White :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Don't fancy a third choice centre back for "upwards of 30 million pounds" to be honest. Especially not one that will be "too good for the bench" there's no telling how he'll react to an extended layoff, especially seeing as he's coming from a club where he's mostly benched. Much prefer Ben White :ph34r:

White is easily going to be north of £20m though and far less proven that Demiral. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

He wouldn't really be 3rd choice, though. He'd come straight in as a rotation option with Evans, almost as a 2.5th choice, and whoever is in better form at the time would get the nod. Then from next season, there will be plenty of game time to satisfy everyone with domestic and european football. And if in the meantime there are any injuries, we'll be glad for the top-tier cover.

We had Evans, Maguire and Morgan as choices 1-3 last season, yet we still went out and spent roughly £20m apiece on Soyuncu and Benkovic. That worked out pretty well.

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

He wouldn't really be 3rd choice, though. He'd come straight in as a rotation option with Evans, almost as a 2.5th choice, and whoever is in better form at the time would get the nod. Then from next season, there will be plenty of game time to satisfy everyone with domestic and european football. And if in the meantime there are any injuries, we'll be glad for the top-tier cover.

We had Evans, Maguire and Morgan as choices 1-3 last season, yet we still went out and spent roughly £20m apiece on Soyuncu and Benkovic. That worked out pretty well.

Benkovic doesn’t currently look like money well spent ???

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Benkovic doesn’t currently look like money well spent ???

He looked great when he started his loan at Celtic and hit a bump in the road after his injuries. Looked decent enough in the u23s, and if we had enough options at CB he'd probably have gone out on loan again. Not the best transfer, but he's still young so I wouldn't write it off as a flop just yet.

But my point was that we're not afraid to spend money on backup defenders, and its proven to work well in the past (going solely on last season, a 50% success rate is pretty damn good). Can definitely see us doing similar again for Demiral, with the key difference being that whilst Soyuncu/Benkovic needed a year (or more) to get up to speed, Demiral could come in and be ready from day 1.

I get the impression that it's a fitness issue and not a talent issue with Benkovic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

White is easily going to be north of £20m though and far less proven that Demiral. 

I know, I agree. Just think that Demiral wouldn't sit on the bench waiting for Evans to cark it for very long without there being some issues.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I know, I agree. Just think that Demiral wouldn't sit on the bench waiting for Evans to cark it for very long without there being some issues.

3-4-1-2 and/or CL football will change things.

1 hour ago, Xen said:

True, but at the time, we had no idea how good Evans was, a pretty good idea that Maguire was gone the next summer, and knew Morgan was basically finished. That's maximum one slot filled "long term" in Evans.

Now we either have two of the absolute best centrebacks in the league, or two excellent centrebacks whose interplay and chemistry is what raises them up a level, plus Benkovic who could still turn out to be very good. That's 2, potentially 3 centrebacks who should be staying here for as long as we can keep them, not to mention the level of Evans and Soyuncu has legitimately been elite together. Introducing Demiral as a 2.5th option could potentially result in infighting and drama of the sort you see all the time at Man City (i.e. Gundogan and getting Gametime, Sané, Mahrez) which can result in players leaving at inopportune times and leverage going to the players when negotiating contracts. Bedding someone less proven but with a lot of "potential" becomes much more feasible as they have less expectations, at least to begin with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

3-4-1-2 and/or CL football will change things.

I don't know, I'm still leery of it. He'll know he's good enough to go to most any club and start, will he take several years of really fighting for his position happily? I'm not sure. 

Also, I should admit I have a bit of a personal bias against him given his particularly militant love for Turkey. Soyuncu at least has been very low-key about whatever his political opinions are. I have tried to separate that bias from my opinion on him signing for us, though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xen said:

We’re definitely not rotating him with Evans straight away. Evans is so crucial to organising our defence that Brendan plays him even in the cup games. He’ll likely need a while to settle anyway - possibly same language issues as Cags.

7 minutes ago, brucey said:

We’re definitely not rotating him with Evans straight away. Evans is so crucial to organising our defence that Brendan plays him even in the cup games. He’ll likely need a while to settle anyway - possibly same language issues as Cags.

I'm not saying he'd be starting league games, but he'd at least be a viable option either off the bench to give Evans a much-needed rest. Evans is obviously one of our star players this season but we should still be able to organise a solid defense without him - at least against the lower-half sides, and if Demiral is as good as we're lead to believe he should be able to slot in nicely alongside Soyuncu.

On the language front, that shouldn't be an issue. Seems he's been learning English even longer than Caglar has (2y.o. article): https://turkish-football.com/revealed-19-year-old-man-united-target-merih-demiral-wants-play-european-giants-turkish-league-besiktas-galatasaray/

• Like 1