Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
StriderHiryu

Merih Demiral

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I don't know, I'm still leery of it. He'll know he's good enough to go to most any club and start, will he take several years of really fighting for his position happily? I'm not sure. 

 

Also, I should admit I have a bit of a personal bias against him given his particularly militant love for Turkey. Soyuncu at least has been very low-key about whatever his political opinions are. I have tried to separate that bias from my opinion on him signing for us, though.

Many people in this country would behave similarly in the same situation.

I remember how opposition fans taunted Ardiles and Villa at the time of the Falklands War, including our own.

I am not excusing this sort of this behaviour, by the way. I am no nationalist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Him and Cags playing week in week out together would be ideal. He is his ideal partner as he has very similar attributes to Jonny Evans. He’s slightly more reliant at this stage of his career on his athleticism, which is to be expected seeing as he is only 21. I’d be very happy if we got him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t help but think how desperate so many were to have us dump huge money on a Maguire replacement rather than give Soyuncu a chance. Maybe we’re in the same boat with Benkovic now?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I can’t help but think how desperate so many were to have us dump huge money on a Maguire replacement rather than give Soyuncu a chance. Maybe we’re in the same boat with Benkovic now?

We need to replace Wes though too? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rachhere said:

We need to replace Wes though too? 

Yeah, but 30 million plus is a lot for a Wes replacement. And if we drop that on a new CB,  no way Benkovic gets regular time short of injury emergencies. Do you think Soyuncu would be starting if we’d dropped 35 million on a center back this summer?

Edited by Deeg67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Yeah, but 30 million plus is a lot for a Wes replacement. And if we drop that on a new CB,  no way Benkovic gets regular time short of injury emergencies. Do you think Soyuncu would be starting if we’d dropped 35 million on a center back this summer?

30 million is the new 10 million its massive amount of money for a PL player now days. We need to replace Morgan as with Soyunca, Evans and Benkovic we would only have 3 CB which is not enough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we want to sustain top 4/Europe on a regular basis, we are going to need quality throughout the squad who are prepared to rotate and have games out when needed. Wes is out of contract in the summer, Evans is phenomenal but has always been prone to a knock at other clubs, and Benkovic clearly isn’t ready yet. If we can do this it’s certainly a great option. Cags, Demirel and Benkovic (if he can find form and fitness) are three young, talented defenders you can build around long term

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He looks like an absolute mad ****. Imagine lining up with Soyuncu, Evans and this geezer at the back in a 3. We’d have opposition strikers shitting themselves before they’ve even stepped foot on the pitch. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

We need to also consider that we could lose soyunchu or benkovic to loan or transfer so we defo need a high quality CB in the squad. 

 

CB is the most important position to fill. 

I agree that we need a squad CB of good quality but I don't think its priority. RW needs sorted. Perez isn't effective there and Gray is unreliable. Absolute number one issue for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I agree that we need a squad CB of good quality but I don't think its priority. RW needs sorted. Perez isn't effective there and Gray is unreliable. Absolute number one issue for me. 

I agree with this but I guess that sometimes you have to take your chance when a player becomes available rather than looking for someone in a specific position and then not getting him. I.e. if we've been given some signs that a top young CB is available/ interested in coming then we take that opportunity rather than missing out, even if that position isn't a priority. If that makes any sense?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Yeah, but 30 million plus is a lot for a Wes replacement. And if we drop that on a new CB,  no way Benkovic gets regular time short of injury emergencies. Do you think Soyuncu would be starting if we’d dropped 35 million on a center back this summer?

This isn’t 2011 mate we can’t go pick up James Collins or Roger Johnson for £3million

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30m to replace arguably our best ever defender in terms of what he did for the club is pittance.

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I can’t help but think how desperate so many were to have us dump huge money on a Maguire replacement rather than give Soyuncu a chance. Maybe we’re in the same boat with Benkovic now?

 

You can't help think of something that didn't happen? You should get some help with that.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, enmac said:

Many people in this country would behave similarly in the same situation.

I remember how opposition fans taunted Ardiles and Villa at the time of the Falklands War, including our own.

I am not excusing this sort of this behaviour, by the way. I am no nationalist.

There's a difference between that and going out of your way to organise a military salute in your national team for the special occasion of the beginning of the invasion of another country.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

30m to replace arguably our best ever defender in terms of what he did for the club is pittance.

 

He's only 21 as well and rated enough to be signed by Juventus and many Turks think he is better than Soyuncu.

 

Benkovic's lack of progress is a strange one and reading between the lines the club don't trust him yet to be part of the first team squad for whatever reason.

 

We have Morgan who is third choice and any type of absence from the first choice CB's will be a huge concern, we also might potentially lose a CB to a transfer in the summer so for me if you can get someone of Demiral's quality in then take that opportunity. We won't have to be concerned about the potential of a long term injury later in the season to Evans or Soyuncu.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gerard said:

 

He's only 21 as well and rated enough to be signed by Juventus and many Turks think he is better than Soyuncu.

 

Benkovic's lack of progress is a strange one and reading between the lines the club don't trust him yet to be part of the first team squad for whatever reason.

 

We have Morgan who is third choice and any type of absence from the first choice CB's will be a huge concern, we also might potentially lose a CB to a transfer in the summer so for me if you can get someone of Demiral's quality in then take that opportunity. We won't have to be concerned about the potential of a long term injury later in the season to Evans or Soyuncu.

To go into next season with Wes probably moving to the coaching staff leaving us with Soyuncu, Evans, Demiral and Benkovic looks like a strong set of players.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like we're also making a big commitment to Cags by actively looking to bring in a couple of his compatriots (Demiral and potentially Calhanoglu), hopefully to make him feel even more settled. He's a massive asset for us so I'm all for bringing in some more top notch Turkish talent to keep him happy.

 

In other news, Juve are likely to insist on a buy-back clause aren't they? Am I right in thinking that they're big on buy-backs whenever they sell a promising player, or am I thinking of a different club? That could be a massive sticking point.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sdb said:

Juventus splashing £30m on a CM. They're usually pretty tight with transfer money so hopefully that makes Demiral a more likely mover. 

 

We defo need another CB. I agree a top winger would be great too, but we have 4 decent wingers. At CB we have 2 excellent players, one about to hit 35 and one who cant get a game. CB is the priority, even if it's not as exciting as a free scoring winger (which wont be easy to find). 

Think Emre Can is being flogged off that's why, also Rabiot hasn't settled there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

 

You can't help think of something that didn't happen? You should get some help with that.

You must have been reading a different board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...