Jump to content
General Smuts

Championship Manager 01/02

Recommended Posts

Is anyone else still playing this absolutely legendary game?

 

cm0102.jpeg

 

Growing tired of the Football Manager series and having less and less free time to dedicate to it, I stumbled across https://champman0102.co.uk/ where you can download the official game for free. The heroes over at this site have also made available seasonal data updates to the database so you can play different seasons. For example - available from here is the current 2019/20 season squads meaning you can play the old familiar CM01/02 game with the current squads.

 

Finally having some free time over Christmas I've be dragged right back to my glory days and having been smashing out half a season a day like you used to be able to do. It's genuinely fantastic and I can't recommend getting involved highly enough. In my first save I've taken Kidderminster Harriers from the National League North all the way to the Prem buying U21s on freebies and selling them on for huge profits a few seasons later. I've just started my first Premier League season and I'll post some screenshots later to show how I'm getting on.

 

On the Champ Man 01/02 forum I'm a moderator in the Official Challenges section #humblebrag. Link is here if you want to see the challenges already posted. This one might be of particular interest.

 

I'm considering starting a new game once I'm done with my Kidderminster save and thought some from here might be interested in a friendly competition and a bit of a challenge. It's a very simple and classic challenge - The Alphabet Challenge. Everyone starts off as unemployed and apply for every job available, then take the first job they are offered. From there you tick off every letter of the alphabet by winning the league in the top tier of any country! For example winning the Prem with Leicester would tick off 'L' and then you'd move on to another club once offered another job. If that was PSV, you'd tick off 'P' once you'd won the Eredivisie and so on until you've completed all 26 letters of the Alphabet. If you want to be particularly hard core you'd could start at A and make your way in order to Z.

 

Anyone interested in joining in post your progress below and I'll keep tabs on who has won what. 

 

Looking forward to seeing how much involvement this gets and how people get on!

 

 

Oct-2019-screenshot-2.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird you should post this.

 

Randomly, I was having a reminisce about the CM games just this morning, looking through screenshots from all the games from when I started playing back in the days of CM2. Brings back memories of hundreds of enjoyable hours with which I could have been bettering myself. :ph34r:

 

CM01/02 is by far my favourite of all the CM/FM games, too. Eldar Hadzimehmedovic (didn't even need to look that up, the spelling is burned into my mind) is still a hero of mine. Tsigalko. Samba. Aghahowa. Bakircioglu. Great times, man.

 

Looks like this is available for Mac so I might give it a go. Playing FM has become a full-time job, so I had to bin it off.

 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, but must have spent hundreds of hours playing that in my teens and early 20s. 

 

Taking Rushden & Diamonds into the Premier League was my standout achievement!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

CM 00/01 and 01/02. Amazing. Loved a little edit, too, to pump smaller clubs full of money just to see how far they could go.

 

I took R&D to the PL, too (no editing money, Max Griggs was the MAN!) The achievements with the smaller teams was always better. Signing Leon Kelly for £8,000 and scoring a hatful of goals. Paying £85,000 for George Weah or getting Igor Cvitanovic for a free. Searching the free transfers and finding a gem, selling someone you'd bought for 10x more.

 

Finished playing with a 25-year stint as Sydney Utd boss nearly five years ago now. Still have a ridiculous amount of .txt docs with the stats, transfers etc, fixtures and screenshots when I saved everything I did (maybe my equivalent of wearing a suit for a cup final)

 

God I could go on and on and on (believe me, I want to) Ended up stopping because it was consuming my life. Literally waking up and rolling out of bed onto the laptop. Getting home and straight onto the laptop.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I downloaded it about a year ago, took Scarborough to winning the prem multiple times and champions league a few times, then all of a sudden the game stopped working after a laptop update and wouldn't work at all after that even after downloading it again.

Great game though. This, 97/98 and football manager 2007 are my faves by far.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm playing touch on the tablet but tempted to try this. 

 

I had some mad games when I was at University. 

 

 

I took Cisco Roma from the bottom of Italian football to Serie A, I can't remember which game it was but it may have been 2007. I went to watch them in real life and was given a pendent that they exchange before games lol I may have made a training top with badge and initials (Christ that was sad) They don't even exist any more.

 

Eventually jumped ship and went to A Madrid for big bucks. Incredible save that was. 

Edited by Lako42
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Does it work straight away on modern PCs. If so I might have a crack. Got a long train journey tomorrow that this would be perfect for

 

 

sort of. There's a few hoops to jump through. Took me a bit of time to get set up but it's all there on the website that Smuts mentioned. Step by step instructions. If I can manage it, it can't be too difficult!
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/01/2020 at 16:03, General Smuts said:

Is anyone else still playing this absolutely legendary game?

 

cm0102.jpeg

 

Growing tired of the Football Manager series and having less and less free time to dedicate to it, I stumbled across https://champman0102.co.uk/ where you can download the official game for free. The heroes over at this site have also made available seasonal data updates to the database so you can play different seasons. For example - available from here is the current 2019/20 season squads meaning you can play the old familiar CM01/02 game with the current squads.

 

Finally having some free time over Christmas I've be dragged right back to my glory days and having been smashing out half a season a day like you used to be able to do. It's genuinely fantastic and I can't recommend getting involved highly enough. In my first save I've taken Kidderminster Harriers from the National League North all the way to the Prem buying U21s on freebies and selling them on for huge profits a few seasons later. I've just started my first Premier League season and I'll post some screenshots later to show how I'm getting on.

 

On the Champ Man 01/02 forum I'm a moderator in the Official Challenges section #humblebrag. Link is here if you want to see the challenges already posted. This one might be of particular interest.

 

I'm considering starting a new game once I'm done with my Kidderminster save and thought some from here might be interested in a friendly competition and a bit of a challenge. It's a very simple and classic challenge - The Alphabet Challenge. Everyone starts off as unemployed and apply for every job available, then take the first job they are offered. From there you tick off every letter of the alphabet by winning the league in the top tier of any country! For example winning the Prem with Leicester would tick off 'L' and then you'd move on to another club once offered another job. If that was PSV, you'd tick off 'P' once you'd won the Eredivisie and so on until you've completed all 26 letters of the Alphabet. If you want to be particularly hard core you'd could start at A and make your way in order to Z.

 

Anyone interested in joining in post your progress below and I'll keep tabs on who has won what. 

 

Looking forward to seeing how much involvement this gets and how people get on!

 

 

Oct-2019-screenshot-2.jpg

 

 

Karl you ****er. 

 

Downloading this later.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Does it work straight away on modern PCs. If so I might have a crack. Got a long train journey tomorrow that this would be perfect for

 

 

5 hours ago, Ashley said:

Karl you ****er. 

 

Downloading this later.

Hahaha! You pair of heroes.

 

It's the bollocks.

 

Woolers - only takes a few minutes to download. All there on the website - step by step instructions. Idiots guide. You should be fine.

 

Finished 5th in the Prem in my first season there with Kidderminster Harriers in 2024. Neymar just turned me down on a free transfer at 33. Lionel Messi just left Leicester on a free after a disappointing spell where he couldn't displace Kelechi Iheanacho or Callum Wilson in the first team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

BUMPY

 

Started playing this last month. Managed Chester City for eight seasons. Edited them a rich sugar daddy, ground shared with Liverpool and won the Prem on a small net spend but quit cos the stress was too much and I'd won everything I could.

 

Into my fifth season at Inter Milan (no editing.) Roma are just so ridiculously OP it's not even worth it at times. Barely lose and barely even concede goals. I've built a team for the future hoping Roma are all old and tired in a couple of years. (Current starting XI in a 2-1-3-1-3 formation: Toldo, Lucio, Ferdinand, Gattuso, Donati, Van Der Vaart, Zanetti, Joe Cole, Palermo, Ronaldinho, Defoe)

 

Couple of things: Moukoko is a money grabbing arse, do not like him despite being a legend of the game. The whole protected contract thing is an absolutely ballache. I spent £8m on a 17 year old midfielder at Chester, three years later he refuses to sign a new deal, goes unprotected, lose him for £5m. Rubbish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/01/2020 at 17:18, Tuna said:

Nope, but must have spent hundreds of hours playing that in my teens and early 20s. 

 

Taking Rushden & Diamonds into the Premier League was my standout achievement!

 

CM 97? Andrew mainwaring up front until the championship, Mads Jorgenson, Simon Davies, Sigporrson up top champ onwards, RB from cheltenham, Ashley Williams champ onwards, there was a whole team you could sign for peanuts and win the champions League with!

Link to post
Share on other sites

CM93 was my first time playing. Took Preston to multiple domestic and European titles.

 

CMItalia was the best version. Start with Juventus (vialli in the team which shows its age) and sign cantona who'd score like two Messis.

Edited by Toddybad
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toddybad said:

CM 97? Andrew mainwaring up front until the championship, Mads Jorgenson, Simon Davies, Sigporrson up top champ onwards, RB from cheltenham, Ashley Williams champ onwards, there was a whole team you could sign for peanuts and win the champions League with!

 

Of course Mainwaring, I remember him where did he come from I'm sure it was a Welsh club Newport maybe?

 

Was Michael Duff the Cheltenham right back - Jamie Victory (left back) another good one from Cheltenham you could get either for 25K or something like that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Been trying to find a way of playing Premier manager 98 for free. Not very clued up on these sort of thimgs

Download it here: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/premier-manager-98-bj6

Follow these instructions from the comments:

Quote

Hi folks!
If anyone is having problems saving their game, here is a solution I figured out:
I'm playing PM98 on Windows 10. The problem is that the virtual drive for reading the ISO file has no memory so the game thinks there is no memory on your hard drive.

1. Open ISO file.
2. Copy all files and folders into a new folder on your desktop.
3. Create a folder within the new folder called 'TACTICS'.
4. Mount the ISO file but run the game from the copied files in your new folder.
5. Play the life out of this beautiful game.

Hope this helped :)

For part 4 they mean you should double click the ISO to mount it (or right click it then select "mount" from the menu, this is the digital equivalent of popping a disc in the CD tray) then go to your new folder and run the .exe file.  I've not tried it but that all sounds right to me.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

@foxfanazer I've given it a quick test run and it seems to work fine.  Don't forget to make the tactics folder, I did and it would't let me save my game but now that I've made one it doesn't have any issues.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Class game 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

@foxfanazer I've given it a quick test run and it seems to work fine.  Don't forget to make the tactics folder, I did and it would't let me save my game but now that I've made one it doesn't have any issues.

Yeah I'm just dumb lol

 

Not sure where I'm going wrong but it just says game can't be started, you need the original prem manager 98 CD rom in your cd drive. 

 

Thanks for your help though. There's no way you could've dumbed it down any more for me lol

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Yeah I'm just dumb lol

 

Not sure where I'm going wrong but it just says game can't be started, you need the original prem manager 98 CD rom in your cd drive. 

 

Thanks for your help though. There's no way you could've dumbed it down any more for me lol

 

 

It sounds like you've not mounted the iso correctly, which version of windows are you running?

 

 

unmounted.thumb.png.6de9f3f55ba5fdad3cc5b2d65164e001.png

Above is the unmounted iso file (Disc Image File) along with the folder containing all the files I copied from it.

If you right click on the iso you should get the option to "mount", once selected the 'disc' will appear as though it's in a DVD drive, seen below:

mounted.thumb.png.5b2ddfec233d5dff1d792a2c39931706.png

Now you want to go into the folder with your copied files (it doesn't have to be called game, it can be anything) and run the pm98 executable.  That should be that.

 

EDIT: This may even be an unnecessary extra step, I just tried running it with no disc mounted for a laugh and it actually works still.  I think all you really need to do is copy all the files out of the iso into a new folder, create the empty "TACTICS" folder within that new folder so you can save games, then run the executable.

Edited by Carl the Llama
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...