Jump to content
simFox

Corona Virus

Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Message added by Mark

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

It’s really weird, I’m working harder because there are less staff, they’re off on furlough, but I’d sooner be the one working despite the increased workload.

If it ends up with redundancies at least you know who they would rather keep.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone else share my fear that the '20,000 deaths would be a good outcome' statement is already starting to look way too optimistic? Will it have to be bracketed with other classic lines such as 'the war will be over by Christmas'? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Does anyone else share my fear that the '20,000 deaths would be a good outcome' statement is already starting to look way too optimistic? Will it have to be bracketed with other classic lines such as 'the war will be over by Christmas'? 

I think the figure will be there or thereabouts, at least for this wave.
No one has any real idea what will happen when the lockdown lifts in a month or two.

 

Edited by brucey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to get a bit worried about my situation. As I've said previously I work in distribution for a "big 4" supermarket. My workplace has done very little to enable the 2m social distancing. They've basically said "you're all adults, you can do it yourselves." But whilst saying this they haven't removed targets etc, and still have a lot of staff on site. So no matter how hard i try, theres always people very close to me; we are all still working in close proximity. Although I'm in my mid 20s, I'm quite overweight and a smoker so the risk is high to me. On top of that, both my parents, who I live with, are in their 60s with various health complications. On top of that, we have to get food from our household to my grandfather in his late 90s. My workplace has people from all over the east midlands working every day. I've gone to the union who are incredibly unhelpful right now. I cant personally have any time off as my absence record is shot to pieces due to a recent serious injury. Really at a loss about what to do. Even spoken to the managers about my concerns and they just seem to laugh it off whilst sitting directly next to each other in the smoking area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kopic said:

I'm starting to get a bit worried about my situation. As I've said previously I work in distribution for a "big 4" supermarket. My workplace has done very little to enable the 2m social distancing. They've basically said "you're all adults, you can do it yourselves." But whilst saying this they haven't removed targets etc, and still have a lot of staff on site. So no matter how hard i try, theres always people very close to me; we are all still working in close proximity. Although I'm in my mid 20s, I'm quite overweight and a smoker so the risk is high to me. On top of that, both my parents, who I live with, are in their 60s with various health complications. On top of that, we have to get food from our household to my grandfather in his late 90s. My workplace has people from all over the east midlands working every day. I've gone to the union who are incredibly unhelpful right now. I cant personally have any time off as my absence record is shot to pieces due to a recent serious injury. Really at a loss about what to do. Even spoken to the managers about my concerns and they just seem to laugh it off whilst sitting directly next to each other in the smoking area.

Whilst a bit morally vacant - maybe showing symptoms and being forced to self isolate is your friend here? If work aren't being right with you. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’d take that predicted delivery with a pinch of salt, I ordered Call of Duty which also had a May delivery date, it came within days. Although the item you have ordered is probably more in demand

I ordered some grass seed yesterday. Not urgent at all and the delivery date of approx May 4th was fine. However, it turned up at lunchtime today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot of talk around an inevitable 2nd wave in wuhan but reading about the measures they've put in place I'd say the chances are very low. Everybody's phone is tracked by the government and if they've come into contact with a confirmed case then their phone will flash red and they will be ordered to quarantine for 14 days or else they'll be arrested and imprisoned. 

 

Also the questions on real Chinese numbers. Yes I think they've lied but not by a lot. They locked down early and it was a proper lock down with a complete clamp down on any form of freedom. It was highly effective but highly unethical. A lot of people died from non-covid reasons simply because they couldn't get out of their homes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

There's a lot of talk around an inevitable 2nd wave in wuhan but reading about the measures they've put in place I'd say the chances are very low. Everybody's phone is tracked by the government and if they've come into contact with a confirmed case then their phone will flash red and they will be ordered to quarantine for 14 days or else they'll be arrested and imprisoned. 

 

Also the questions on real Chinese numbers. Yes I think they've lied but not by a lot. They locked down early and it was a proper lock down with a complete clamp down on any form of freedom. It was highly effective but highly unethical. A lot of people died from non-covid reasons simply because they couldn't get out of their homes.

God I'm so glad I wasn't born Chinese. The place is a hellscape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

 

You have been pretty disingenuous here tbh. I don't seem to be able to quote both this post and the posts which you replied to on that occasion, but I made the point that it was fine to go to the park to do exercise whilst keeping your distance. That was correct then, and it still is. I was accepting that the people who were gathered in groups were doing wrong, which they were then and would be now. So you've deliberately misreprented what I said. You'll also notice that that exchange was on 22 March, the day before the lockdown. I have never claimed to be married, and I said nothing about my partner agreeing with me - you patronisingly asked if I watched the news, and I told you that my partner is a doctor so the situation is something that is discussed a lot in our household.

 

I can also recognise that there is some nuance in the fact that not everyone in London has a garden. It's very easy to sit out in a garden in a deckchair getting on your high horse about people so much as setting foot outside their house. It is not as easy as that and it is incredibly difficult and not good for one's health to stay cooped up in a small flat with no outside space for days on end.

 

Secondly you have replied with a different argument to the one I made - as you did then, with the same attitude. The mere implication of questioning the government and you've pretty much flown off the handle. That seems unhealthy. Added to the fact you've just made stuff up to have a pop at me I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

 

You asked if the government could have done anything differently, and I responded that yes, they could have done anything differently. That hasn't got anything to do with me or my compliance with the advice or directives at any stage. I am not denying that people haven't been toeing the line, I can see that they have. I'd certainly agree that people are stupid. Those are both different things to the point I responded to. The social measures and enforcement of said measures is one aspect of 'things the government could do' amongst many in combating this situation. I didn't even say they should have done anything differently in that aspect lol.

 

In your view, does meeting their own targets on testing (as well as PPE and ventilators to think of it) not count as something the government could have done differently?

 

 

 

 

I'm not going to argue with you about this anymore. If you think I've singled you out unfairly then I apologise. 

 

I'm also not sure why you've referenced a tweet that's a week old, but 14682 tests were carried out in the UK yesterday. So yes, I'm happy that the government are doing as they said they would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/04/2020 at 21:05, UpTheLeagueFox said:

He was trying to be positive.

He wasn't suggesting those who die are quitters.

We all offer up fairly meaningless platitudes from time to time.

You're a ray of sunshine aren't you lol

You know what Geoff, I’ve read your twitter and your comments on here and I think it annoys you that people don’t care enough to go out and clap for Boris and you’ve reacted by shooting people down and highlighting the horrible comments, I think the majority of people think he’s done a decent job, a little slow to react at the beginning but overall he has done what we expect from a leader, most people will highlight how the Tories have underfunded the NHS and now he needs it more than ever so a lot people will use that and but most people would rather save the clap for NHS staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, pds said:

I ordered some grass seed yesterday. Not urgent at all and the delivery date of approx May 4th was fine. However, it turned up at lunchtime today.

Probably Wanted to become rooted ,and get things Sown up ASAP in these uncertain times..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm not going to argue with you about this anymore. If you think I've singled you out unfairly then I apologise. 

 

I'm also not sure why you've referenced a tweet that's a week old, but 14682 tests were carried out in the UK yesterday. So yes, I'm happy that the government are doing as they said they would.


I mean, it’s an extra week old, so it’s now three weeks later and it’s over 10,000 short of it’s target. So really they’re not doing what they said they’d do, not in a timeframe most people would find acceptable considering the gravity of the situation.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Finnaldo said:


I mean, it’s an extra week old, so it’s now three weeks later and it’s over 10,000 short of it’s target. So really they’re not doing what they said they’d do, not in a timeframe most people would find acceptable considering the gravity of the situation.

So we haven't tested 10000 a day people like they promised? The 25k a day target was by the end of this month I thought? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

God I'm so glad I wasn't born Chinese. The place is a hellscape. 

For sure, however the phone stuff is interesting as this is likely to be one of our tactics going forward to keep levels low.

 

Is the population going to be ok handing over their personal and GPS data to the government in order to track cases?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lionator said:

For sure, however the phone stuff is interesting as this is likely to be one of our tactics going forward to keep levels low.

 

Is the population going to be ok handing over their personal and GPS data to the government in order to track cases?

Do I smell an Orwellian dystopia? 

 

I really don't like the idea of giving them any more data than they already have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

So we haven't tested 10000 a day people like they promised? The 25k a day target was by the end of this month I thought? 


Within a month if I’m not mistaken, which means the deadline is this time next week.  The figures on Monday were 16,000, yesterday’s were 14,000. So they’ve got 10,000 to make up in a week.


From Gov.uk: 

9CE42C3A-5DDF-41DC-8820-AD474D635375.jpeg
 

Edited by Finnaldo
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

So we haven't tested 10000 a day people like they promised? The 25k a day target was by the end of this month I thought? 

10k/day target set 11 March, for end of March
25k/day target set 18 March, for mid-April

100k/day target set 2 April, for end of April


EVF8_qdXsAAb-LV?format=jpg&name=large

Green bar is number of tests done

 

Edited by brucey
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Got home to a beer delivery from@The whole world smiles just because he thought I sounded like I needed a beer the other day. Legend!

 

eY6Mslhr.jpg

 

You know what, I quite fancy a beer myself.  Not sure if @The whole world smiles is on at the moment?

 

By the way, I am a doctor.

 

And a liar.

 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, brucey said:

10k/day target set 11 March, for end of March
25k/day target set 18 March, for mid-April

100k/day target set last week, for end of April


I didn’t even realise they’d upped the target to 100k p/d ffs. 
 

Unless they have a strategy which means the numbers will bump up immediately (I’m assuming this is the case otherwise I’m baffled), then they need to be a lot more honest about their capability. If they don’t come close to these target it’s going to look like an irresponsible sound bite to curry public favour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:


I didn’t even realise they’d upped the target to 100k p/d ffs. 
 

Unless they have a strategy which means the numbers will bump up immediately (I’m assuming this is the case otherwise I’m baffled), then they need to be a lot more honest about their capability. If they don’t come close to these target it’s going to look like an irresponsible sound bite to curry public favour.

I remember reading somewhere they already have enough analyser machines to do 100k/day right now. But the limiting factor is the shortage of test reagents, and trained staff to run the machines. Factories worldwide are likely already ramping up production of the chemicals. Less sure about the staff, the test processing seems quite complicated and I don’t know if it can be automated. But a couple countries seem to be managing it so maybe :dunno:

 

Edited by brucey
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brucey said:

I remember reading somewhere they already have enough analyser machines to do 100k/day right now. But the limiting factor is the shortage of test reagents, and trained staff to run the machines.


Ah right, so it’s not the tests it’s the capability to perform them that’s causing the underperformance so far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm seeing a lot of stories about school teachers (mainly science or Design Tech subjects) making a lot of equipment used for nurses and hospitals and surgeries etc. Visors, masks, general protection equipment to help out. Even kids using 3d printers to help nurses with masks so they don't get those sores or irritation behind their ears for example. 

 

Don't get me wrong it's good they're able to do this and donate it to various people/trusts/hospitals. But how has it come to this? Why are professionals not getting the right equipment in the first place? What's gone wrong in the system that this can't be provided from their work place and why do they have to rely on the goodwill of local people in their community? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Papers reckon a 3 week extension to the lockdown. 

Edited by Mike Oxlong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'm seeing a lot of stories about school teachers (mainly science or Design Tech subjects) making a lot of equipment used for nurses and hospitals and surgeries etc. Visors, masks, general protection equipment to help out. Even kids using 3d printers to help nurses with masks so they don't get those sores or irritation behind their ears for example. 

 

Don't get me wrong it's good they're able to do this and donate it to various people/trusts/hospitals. But how has it come to this? Why are professionals not getting the right equipment in the first place? What's gone wrong in the system that this can't be provided from their work place and why do they have to rely on the goodwill of local people in their community? 

That’s just what happens when the entire world needs the same item at once. Visors weren’t exactly a frequently used item in hospitals before this, so we weren’t keeping massive piles around. And they’re (meant to be) single-use so the limited stocks got depleted very quickly,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...