Jump to content
simFox

Corona Virus

Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Message added by Mark

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

ANTIBODY TEST APPROVED

A new antibody test which checks if people have already had coronavirus is said to be 99 per cent accurate.

The tests has been certified for use across Europe.

Accurate antibody tests could be game-changing for countries under lockdown, and would allow experts to look at how many people have already had the virus, and potentially let people out if they have immunity.

 

:punk::thumbup::appl:

 

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Source: The Sun

:mad::facepalm::frantics:

 

I am so conflicted right now :unsure:

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Definitely not mate, shame it's not the 100k but fair play to them for being able to get 80k up and running.

 

 

ANTIBODY TEST APPROVED

A new antibody test which checks if people have already had coronavirus is said to be 99 per cent accurate.

The tests has been certified for use across Europe.

Accurate antibody tests could be game-changing for countries under lockdown, and would allow experts to look at how many people have already had the virus, and potentially let people out if they have immunity.

 

Source: The Sun

Don't say that too loud, the government bashers will dispute any source that isn't The Guardian or The Independent

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

 

Easy to say we should have started it earlier, but we didn't and we are already seeing people fed up and some people openly admit they are going crazy. If this lockdown gets extended again I've got to admit I'm going to be struggling, it's starting to really get to me now.

If we risked further spread because British people find it difficult to stay indoors for a prolonged period of time then the nation is more spoiled and selfish than I realised. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Let's be honest this Government could cure Covid and Cancer and people would still moan.

"Yeah but why didn't you cure cancer and Covid sooner?" etc etc

 

49 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Depends how you ask the question. If you ask somebody a loaded question they'll put their guard up. If you ask a question that allows them to explain the situation then you'll more likely get an informative answer.

This applies to everything, football included. There are ways and means of getting good answers.

Sometimes you need a robust line of questioning, sometimes a gentle prod achieves better results.

 

(In my early reporter days, it was all about being confrontational. Age brought wisdom in that respect.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bovril said:

There are cities in Europe that are more densely populated than London, like Athens. I think the number of people that have died there is about 100. Some people are slightly in denial. 

We don't know enough about this virus to say why people are dying yet. It could be genetics, it could be your ethnic background, it could be the temperature of the country. Greece's population is about 10 million too is it not? I'd imagine it's easier to keep the spread of this down if you have a population that's 6 times smaller than ours.

 

EDIT: And again, it's not all come out yet how these deaths are being recorded. All this information is needed and when it is, we can then say if our Government made a hash of everything.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bovril said:

There are cities in Europe that are more densely populated than London, like Athens. I think the number of people that have died there is about 100. Some people are slightly in denial. 

 

England is the most densely populated country in Europe.  Paris the most densely populated city apparently.

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/2967374/England-is-most-crowded-country-in-Europe.html

 

It's not the full picture but it must have some bearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

"Yeah but why didn't you cure cancer and Covid sooner?" etc etc

 

This applies to everything, football included. There are ways and means of getting good answers.

Sometimes you need a robust line of questioning, sometimes a gentle prod achieves better results.

 

(In my early reporter days, it was all about being confrontational. Age brought wisdom in that respect.)

I'm not sure about the cancer but it seems we weren't really prepared for a viral pandemic both in resources and quick decisions that are necessary, such as stopping incoming travel, even though we've had warnings about such events i.e. SARS 2002, and  taxpayer funded research  centres whose purpose is to advise the government on what measures to take in the event of a pandemic, prior to a pandemic taking place, instead of what appears to be making it up as we go along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We don't know enough about this virus to say why people are dying yet. It could be genetics, it could be your ethnic background, it could be the temperature of the country. Greece's population is about 10 million too is it not? I'd imagine it's easier to keep the spread of this down if you have a population that's 6 times smaller than ours.

 

EDIT: And again, it's not all come out yet how these deaths are being recorded. All this information is needed and when it is, we can then say if our Government made a hash of everything.

I think we do!

 

Forgot to add the link, but read this and it seems that this is the source of government advise on covid-19.

 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sars/

Edited by yorkie1999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, murphy said:

 

England is the most densely populated country in Europe.  Paris the most densely populated city apparently.

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/2967374/England-is-most-crowded-country-in-Europe.html

 

It's not the full picture but it must have some bearing.


Well no as it doesn’t count the rest of Great Britain for one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kopfkino said:

But Athens isn't a global transport hub or a key global financial/business hub nor anything like the size of London. Seems daft to think comparatively individual or a very limited set of variables because it's quite obvious that Athens isn't London.

 

It's seems pretty clear that the lockdown came too late and that, as Germany did, more heed should have been paid to what was happening in Italy. I'd worry about anyone that doesn't accept that but most of the comparatives used are wank.

True, but then of course you could argue that the fact London is such a global transport hub and so susceptible to such a thing means our comparatively slow response was even stupider. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I'm not sure about the cancer but it seems we weren't really prepared for a viral pandemic both in resources and quick decisions that are necessary, such as stopping incoming travel, even though we've had warnings about such events i.e. SARS 2002, and  taxpayer funded research  centres whose purpose is to advise the government on what measures to take in the event of a pandemic, prior to a pandemic taking place, instead of what appears to be making it up as we go along.

SARs was infinitely easier to head off.

Its mortality rate was (relatively) extremely high, it was contagious when presenting symptoms, not before, and certainly not when asymptomatic.

Coronavirus yes, but different kettle of fish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bovril said:

True, but then of course you could argue that the fact London is such a global transport hub and so susceptible to such a thing means our comparatively slow response was even stupider. 

 

Yes of course, at any point between northern Italy locking down and our lockdown they should have done far more particularly as the UK was susceptible to it spreading in large numbers, that much is clear now and was advocated by some at the time. 

 

The interesting modelling, as a counterfactual, would be what effect announcing a lockdown on any of those days before actual lockdown would have made to deaths but with a big nod to the role of luck in this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

SARs was infinitely easier to head off.

Its mortality rate was (relatively) extremely high, it was contagious when presenting symptoms, not before, and certainly not when asymptomatic.

Coronavirus yes, but different kettle of fish.

This is true, but don't you think someone should have asked the question, apart from Hollywood, what if sars came back in a slightly mutated form and was a bit more contagious, what we gonna do about it, how should we prepare. In fact, after this is done, will we be taking the threat of corona virus' a bit more seriously, and if we do, why didn't we do that in the first place. Is it better to be pro-active or, as we are now re-active. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but, it's not really hindsight when the warning signs were there is it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

SARs was infinitely easier to head off.

Its mortality rate was (relatively) extremely high, it was contagious when presenting symptoms, not before, and certainly not when asymptomatic.

Coronavirus yes, but different kettle of fish.

Yeah. Covid is so dangerous because people can spread it when they're not ill and it's so deadly on a global scale exactly because most people only get mild symptoms and it's not that deadly on an individual scale if that makes sense? Which is the biggest problem about this above all else.

 

R number is great in theory, but it doesn't take into account how ill you get which massively affects how a virus will spread as well.

 

I.e. Ebola is incredibly deadly (around 50% mortality rate) and incredibly contagious (R value of 2), but we're never likely to get an Ebola pandemic in practice because as soon as people get it they're laid out flat and are far too ill to leave their homes, so it's not easy to spread it from household to household or out in the open. So often with respiratory contagious illnesses, the deadlier it is, the easier it is to contain.

 

It's why the deadliest respitory pandemics tend be stuff like flu or this where most people get mild symptoms and are still well enough to go out and about making it spread like wildfire.

 

Things like bubonic plague, malaria or Zika virus are obviously the exceptions because they're spread by fleas or mosquitoes rather than through human's coughing or breathing.

 

SARs wasn't a good comparison point, because it's much more deadly than COVID and people knew when they had it and that they'd be contagious pretty quickly and were likely not in any shape to leave the house even if they wanted to flout quarenteen - so even though it had a basic R number higher than COVID it was much easier to contain or to die out naturally through lack of new hosts available.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:


Well no as it doesn’t count the rest of Great Britain for one.

That's because it was counting and comparing countries. Not island nations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, murphy said:

 

England is the most densely populated country in Europe.  Paris the most densely populated city apparently.

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/2967374/England-is-most-crowded-country-in-Europe.html

 

It's not the full picture but it must have some bearing.

I think there are a lot of different factors that have had a bearing on the spread in this country and population density is certainly one. Also I think how well our transport system is connected has also been a major factor. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Yeah. Covid is so dangerous because people can spread it when they're not ill and it's so deadly on a global scale exactly because most people only get mild symptoms and it's not that deadly on an individual scale if that makes sense? Which is the biggest problem about this above all else.

 

R number is great in theory, but it doesn't take into account how ill you get which massively affects how a virus will spread as well.

 

I.e. Ebola is incredibly deadly (around 50% mortality rate) and incredibly contagious (R value of 2), but we're never likely to get an Ebola pandemic in practice because as soon as people get it they're laid out flat and are far too ill to leave their homes, so it's not easy to spread it from household to household or out in the open. So often with respiratory contagious illnesses, the deadlier it is, the easier it is to contain.

 

It's why the deadliest respitory pandemics tend be stuff like flu or this where most people get mild symptoms and are still well enough to go out and about making it spread like wildfire.

 

Things like bubonic plague, malaria or Zika virus are obviously the exceptions because they're spread by fleas or mosquitoes rather than through human's coughing or breathing.

 

SARs wasn't a good comparison point, because it's much more deadly than COVID and people knew when they had it and that they'd be contagious pretty quickly and were likely not in any shape to leave the house even if they wanted to flout quarenteen - so even though it had a basic R number higher than COVID it was much easier to contain or to die out naturally through lack of new hosts available.

That was kinda my whole point. The only real similarity is that they are both Coronaviruses and present similar sort of symptoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...