Jump to content
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Xen said:

When I first started with c25k and for the first year or so after 3/4 times per week worked for me - a rest day between each run gave a bit more time to recover, otherwise I'd end up with shin splints or similar. 

Over time I progressed up to 5 runs per week (skipping Monday/Friday) and settled in there for a while. For my marathon training plan I upped the mileage a lot and was going out 6 times a week with Wednesdays off, but still making sure never to have two 'hard' days back to back (workouts, long runs etc).

 

Since I stopped the marathon plan I'm now doing a run streak, so running at least a mile every day. A lot of days are just that though - a single mile - so I'm actually running less miles than I had been previously. Just a way to make sure I get out of the house for some fresh air every day, to be honest.

 

I might cut my distance down to aid my recovery then. I ran 3.8 miles last week which was a shock to the system so I might cut it down to 2 miles and see how recovery is.

 

Impressive numbers from yourself though, I can’t think of anything worse than a marathon :nigel:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ran for the first time in years. Managed 5km in about 40 minutes. Not too bad.

 

Don't have any apps or anything, so what's the crack in here? Anything to help motivate me 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Just ran for the first time in years. Managed 5km in about 40 minutes. Not too bad.

 

Don't have any apps or anything, so what's the crack in here? Anything to help motivate me 

Actually read the OP, downloaded and requested to join

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Wet Trump said:

I might cut my distance down to aid my recovery then. I ran 3.8 miles last week which was a shock to the system so I might cut it down to 2 miles and see how recovery is.

 

Impressive numbers from yourself though, I can’t think of anything worse than a marathon :nigel:

I'm inclined to agree... :sweating: Haven't actually ran one yet - Manchester was set to be my first until it got cancelled. I've done a 24hr ultramarathon though, although I spent a considerable chunk of that asleep in my tent lol 

 

Take your time with it - there's no rush at all to push yourself, let alone during this lockdown where you've got all the time in the world. Keep it steady, take walking breaks within the run if you need to and you'll find that before long the amount of recovery you need will go down. Going for walks on your 'rest' days can be super helpful too, or you could throw in some simple strength & mobility exercises (calf raises, squats etc) once in a whle. Its pretty remarkable how quickly the body can adapt to regular running so long as you don't overdo it (definitely made this mistake more than a few times myself...) :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to read about others and their exercise/running/walking.

It does make you feel you're not alone when you need some inspiration or are just struggling with a twinge or something more.

Keep it up and keep going :thumbup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Xen said:

I'm inclined to agree... :sweating: Haven't actually ran one yet - Manchester was set to be my first until it got cancelled. I've done a 24hr ultramarathon though, although I spent a considerable chunk of that asleep in my tent lol 

 

Take your time with it - there's no rush at all to push yourself, let alone during this lockdown where you've got all the time in the world. Keep it steady, take walking breaks within the run if you need to and you'll find that before long the amount of recovery you need will go down. Going for walks on your 'rest' days can be super helpful too, or you could throw in some simple strength & mobility exercises (calf raises, squats etc) once in a whle. Its pretty remarkable how quickly the body can adapt to regular running so long as you don't overdo it (definitely made this mistake more than a few times myself...) :)

I never considered running a marathon. Was playing football and rugby, never really enjoyed running as such (goalkeeper and prop forward were my positions). However, when I broke my ankle at rugby, part of my recovery was just to do a bit of running. Then I started doing more and at some point I was regularly hitting 10K, then I did my first half marathon, then more and suddenly I have done 2 marathons.

 

Right now I aim to do 3 or 4 10K runs a week. Now the weather is nicer I go for longer runs and some cycles too. However, it's all about your targets. I believe anyone can run a marathon. Don't set a time target, that's when it becomes difficult, pushing yourself to get quicker. The training for a marathon is the hardest and can be very time consuming. I want to break the 4 hour time so I need to do at least one more. Both times I ran a marathon it was hot, 23 the first one, 30+ the second. I prefer a nice 10-12 degrees. I found that when training for a marathon, and after doing one, half marathons seem a breeze. Good luck anyway.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am gutted that my marathon has been postponed to September. It would’ve been marathon number 3 (London 2018, Brighton 2019 and fingers crossed Brighton again). I actually quite like marathon training and the actual marathon as it makes you realise what you’re capable of. My 100K ultra has been postponed to 2021 so, assuming it goes ahead, I’m putting all my energy into training for Brighton.

 

I’ve reduced my mileage right down at the moment a)to reduce the chance of any niggles/injuries and b)all I need to do is keep the legs ticking over.

 

In normal life, I run 4/5 times a week with Sunday always being a longer run. Struggling with this at the moment as need to combine a cycle as Ride 100 hasn’t been postponed or cancelled yet. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I never considered running a marathon. Was playing football and rugby, never really enjoyed running as such (goalkeeper and prop forward were my positions). However, when I broke my ankle at rugby, part of my recovery was just to do a bit of running. Then I started doing more and at some point I was regularly hitting 10K, then I did my first half marathon, then more and suddenly I have done 2 marathons.

 

Right now I aim to do 3 or 4 10K runs a week. Now the weather is nicer I go for longer runs and some cycles too. However, it's all about your targets. I believe anyone can run a marathon. Don't set a time target, that's when it becomes difficult, pushing yourself to get quicker. The training for a marathon is the hardest and can be very time consuming. I want to break the 4 hour time so I need to do at least one more. Both times I ran a marathon it was hot, 23 the first one, 30+ the second. I prefer a nice 10-12 degrees. I found that when training for a marathon, and after doing one, half marathons seem a breeze. Good luck anyway.

Totally agree with anyone can run a marathon. I went from couch to marathon in 6 months. Totally screwed my first marathon as I made it all about time. Second one, mucked around a bit by stopping to speak to friends/family/strangers with dogs and had an absolute ball and knocked a ridiculous amount of time off the year before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, my 5k time is irrelevant at the moment. I doubt I’ll ever run a sub 5 minute KM, ever again. 
 

It’s been more about making my body, capable of doing it. Cardio wise, I never, ever feel tired. My body aches like crazy though from all the broken bits.  (Torn ankle ligaments, shin splints and torn MCL / ACL). It’s more or a mental challenge to get through these things now. I know my body will adapt.
 

Saying that, I’ve noticed my time has come down to 36 minutes for a 5k now. I was closer to 50 minutes 8 weeks ago. So it’s working.

 

Up to 28 minutes none stop running now. I feel I could go longer but I’m going with the program.

 

My next challenge is to avoid the fridge, whilst working at home.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just started running again after 6 months off through injury. First 10km back (only my second ever 10km) and I knocked it down from 58mins pre-injury to 50mins on a very hilly route. First 2km was a 130m climb. 
 

Always played football at an okay level twice a week and trained twice a week at least, so between playing/training I never really had time to run.

 

Getting the ‘decent’ time (much better than I expected after doing no exercise at all for 6 months) first run back has given me a bit of a boost to carry on. 
 

Does anyone else just hate the thought of going for a run, but actually really enjoy it while you’re out and when you’ve finished. For me it’s getting my trainers on and stepping out of the door which is the hardest part. 
 

Edit: I’ll download Strava and join the club! 

Edited by Leeds Fox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sly said:

For me, my 5k time is irrelevant at the moment. I doubt I’ll ever run a sub 5 minute KM, ever again. 
 

It’s been more about making my body, capable of doing it. Cardio wise, I never, ever feel tired. My body aches like crazy though from all the broken bits.  (Torn ankle ligaments, shin splints and torn MCL / ACL). It’s more or a mental challenge to get through these things now. I know my body will adapt.
 

Saying that, I’ve noticed my time has come down to 36 minutes for a 5k now. I was closer to 50 minutes 8 weeks ago. So it’s working.

 

Up to 28 minutes none stop running now. I feel I could go longer but I’m going with the program.

 

My next challenge is to avoid the fridge, whilst working at home.

I've joined the club and am looking forward to getting into running again. 

 

It's funny you should mention the body and cardio thing because I went for a 10k earlier and I felt I had a speed limit  on my body! I was tootling along at about 10:30 min/mile pace and felt I could run all day as lungs were fine but honestly, my legs just wouldn't go any faster. It felt like my hips had seized up but I've had no injuries. 

 

If a lion had been chasing me I honestly don't think I could have gone any quicker although my breathing and HR felt fine. 

 

I'm 37 and am wondering if I'm just slowing down. I've also got into cycling quite a bit so not sure if I've just trained other muscle groups that is slowing me down now. 

 

My goal is to get under 20 mins for a 5K, I was down at 23 a few years a go but was always limited by cardio. Now I feel it'll be tough to get there as I won't have the actual speed to go fast enough to break it 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I’ve just started running again after 6 months off through injury. First 10km back (only my second ever 10km) and I knocked it down from 58mins pre-injury to 50mins on a very hilly route. First 2km was a 130m climb. 
 

Always played football at an okay level twice a week and trained twice a week at least, so between playing/training I never really had time to run.

 

Getting the ‘decent’ time (much better than I expected after doing no exercise at all for 6 months) first run back has given me a bit of a boost to carry on. 
 

Does anyone else just hate the thought of going for a run, but actually really enjoy it while you’re out and when you’ve finished. For me it’s getting my trainers on and stepping out of the door which is the hardest part. 
 

Edit: I’ll download Strava and join the club! 

I spoke to  Olympic runner Aly Dixon at my Park Run once. She told me the hardest part of her training was getting out of the front door. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Collymore said:

I spoke to  Olympic runner Aly Dixon at my Park Run once. She told me the hardest part of her training was getting out of the front door. 

I find that the first few KM's can be a struggle but then you get in a zone and it's smooth. Then there are some days where it's rubbish from start to finish. A rest day can really work wonders sometimes. Also, stretching properly after runs and on days off really aids recovery although I fail on that department myself a lot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:


 

Does anyone else just hate the thought of going for a run, but actually really enjoy it while you’re out and when you’ve finished. For me it’s getting my trainers on and stepping out of the door which is the hardest part. 
 

Edit: I’ll download Strava and join the club! 

You rarely regret going for a run…. I can only think of one (when I had a nasty fall!)

 

you only regret not running!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ran my 2nd 5k this week, managed to do it in just a smidge over 30 mins, about 30.30. Really pleased that I’ve got the motivation to go out and run, I’ve never really enjoyed it in the past but finding it really beneficial at the minute. Aiming to run every day, even if it’s just a couple of miles, and then I’m going to try and push for 6km next week. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ran just over 2 miles this evening and felt much better. Quicker pace than my last run and slightly more elevation gain too.

 

I’m going to stick to 2 miles every 2/3 days and see if I can increase that over the next few weeks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First 5k using Strava, pretty pleased with my time given I was aiming for under 40mins and I hit 33mins. Not as unfit as I thought and gives me a clear improvement to hit a 30min 5k.

 

Need my legs to catch up though, can hardly walk now.🤣🤣

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just joined strava as I need some motivation without the gym. 

 

Just tried the link at the start of this thread but its saying I have to install strava. I have it on my phone but for some reason its not letting me.

 

Is there a way to search for the foxestalk club?

Edited by slymunn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, slymunn said:

I've just joined strava as I need some motivation without the gym. 

 

Just tried the link at the start of this thread but its saying I have to install strava. I have it on my phone but for some reason its not letting me.

 

Is there a way to search for the foxestalk club?

Found out how and requested to join :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My run felt awful today! I changed my shoes ...... I shan’t be using those again. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sly said:

My run felt awful today! I changed my shoes ...... I shan’t be using those again. 

Never a good idea to wear stilettos.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, slymunn said:

Found out how and requested to join :)

Had a rush of new members in lockdown….  As long as you’re not threatening @Izzy top 3 domination, you’ll be a welcome addition…!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Had a rush of new members in lockdown….  As long as you’re not threatening @Izzy top 3 domination, you’ll be a welcome addition…!

With no gym I just need something to keep motivation really. I also dont run much more than a 5k at a good pace so might try building up to a 10k :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...