Jump to content
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

Recommended Posts

I’m a Nike girl. Used to run in the Lunarglide 9’s, currently in Epic React Flyknit And have just purchased the Zoom Rival Fly 2. I refuse to spend a lot of money on trainers.

 

Brooks don’t suit me but are a very popular brand. I’ve got an amazing pair of Saucony Liberty ISO’s which are great for short distances.

 

I go by fit and feel. If you can, order a few different pairs and see which you get on best with. Brooks have a 90 day return policy even if you’ve worn them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, waddadamadda said:

I’m a Nike girl. Used to run in the Lunarglide 9’s, currently in Epic React Flyknit And have just purchased the Zoom Rival Fly 2. I refuse to spend a lot of money on trainers.

 

Brooks don’t suit me but are a very popular brand. I’ve got an amazing pair of Saucony Liberty ISO’s which are great for short distances.

 

I go by fit and feel. If you can, order a few different pairs and see which you get on best with. Brooks have a 90 day return policy even if you’ve worn them. 

Yeah looked at Brooks but never tried them. I remember having that camera on the treadmill and the assistant telling me asics were suited to my step/foot so have just tended to go with them. 

 

Last time I bought a decent pair I lost one of them moving house just weeks after getting them so hadn't bought a new decent pair since! 

 

I still hold hope it may turn up one day. Probably after I bin the other one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Collymore said:

What running shoes people got?

 

I normally go cheap Kalenji from Decathlon but I've just treated myself to some Asics Gel Cumulus 21 (not sure if they're that good but had good reviews and just in my budget) 

 

I'm planning on keeping the running going so thought a good incentive would be some decent trainers. 

I have some Adidas swift which are my usual gym trainers. Nice and comfy but in big nige white. Used them outside for my smaller runs. 

 

I also have some sketchers escape trail shoes which I usually use for longer walks/trail walking. They are not quite as comfy but feel more supportive as I've tried to up my distances running.

 

I'm in the same thing that if I really start to enjoy it I'll have to get some better outdoor ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, slymunn said:

I have some Adidas swift which are my usual gym trainers. Nice and comfy but in big nige white. Used them outside for my smaller runs. 

 

I also have some sketchers escape trail shoes which I usually use for longer walks/trail walking. They are not quite as comfy but feel more supportive as I've tried to up my distances running.

 

I'm in the same thing that if I really start to enjoy it I'll have to get some better outdoor ones.

"Big Nige whites"

 

no need for reflective clothing or lights at night then, just be careful running near airport runways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Collymore said:

"Big Nige whites"

 

no need for reflective clothing or lights at night then, just be careful running near airport runways. 

Thats the problem...could get away with them indoors :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Collymore said:

What running shoes people got?

 

I normally go cheap Kalenji from Decathlon but I've just treated myself to some Asics Gel Cumulus 21 (not sure if they're that good but had good reviews and just in my budget) 

 

I'm planning on keeping the running going so thought a good incentive would be some decent trainers. 

Brooks Revel. Started with the Revel 2 and had a couple pairs, now I've currently got two pairs of the Revel 3s, one near the end of its life cycle and another newer pair which I'm rotating in. Found a style I get on well with so happy to keep going back to them, and they're one of the cheaper models to pick up so thats a bonus :).

I've also got a pair of Merrell VaporGlove 3, they're a 'barefoot' style minimal shoe which I bought on a whim as I was having a few issues with shin splints and wanted to try something which would force me to use slightly different muscles. Seems to have worked - I only use them for the 'filler' days on my running streak though, so they're limited to 1-3 miles at a time.

 

Just today ordered a pair of Brooks Hyperion (the older version though, not the super-expensive new model) as something a bit lighter and faster as a racing shoe. Obviously no races coming up, but I want to try getting that Sub20 5k so thought I'd see how something a bit lighter feels :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Collymore said:

What running shoes people got?

 

I normally go cheap Kalenji from Decathlon but I've just treated myself to some Asics Gel Cumulus 21 (not sure if they're that good but had good reviews and just in my budget) 

 

I'm planning on keeping the running going so thought a good incentive would be some decent trainers. 

I have always been an Asics person, had them from the start and always got on well with them. When I got trail shoes I went for New Balance and they are super comfortable, I just don't get to use them much as I mainly do road running. My recent roadshoes broke the trend as I went for Brooks and got on OK with them. However, doing a bit of research now there wasn't much choice. I wanted the New Balance 1080's as they had good reviews and I like NB based on my trail shoes. In the end I settled back to b(Asics). Same as yourself, I got some Asics Gel Cumulus 21's for around £90. Just about to christen them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I have always been an Asics person, had them from the start and always got on well with them. When I got trail shoes I went for New Balance and they are super comfortable, I just don't get to use them much as I mainly do road running. My recent roadshoes broke the trend as I went for Brooks and got on OK with them. However, doing a bit of research now there wasn't much choice. I wanted the New Balance 1080's as they had good reviews and I like NB based on my trail shoes. In the end I settled back to b(Asics). Same as yourself, I got some Asics Gel Cumulus 21's for around £90. Just about to christen them.

Mine are getting delivered on Saturday, I went for the midnight blue.

 

Let me know how you get on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Collymore said:

Mine are getting delivered on Saturday, I went for the midnight blue.

 

Let me know how you get on. 

Like I said, I have always enjoyed Asics and got on with them. That was confirmed on my 10K run earlier, a good shoe. I think when I had gait analysis done once they suggested the Gel Nimbus to me and as far as I am aware, the Gel Cumulus is very similar but for the slightly smaller budget. I don't like buying shoes at £100+. There are plenty of good ones in sales and just generally lower priced.

 

Anyway, I was happy with my first run in them. Mine are Tokyo blue or something like that but to be honest, I don't mind the colour. As long as they are comfortable.

 

Might keep a lookout for more deals over the next weeks to get a second pair of shoes to rotate with. As I said above, really keen to try some NB roadshoes as the trail ones are super comfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2020 at 19:06, Collymore said:

What running shoes people got?

 

I normally go cheap Kalenji from Decathlon but I've just treated myself to some Asics Gel Cumulus 21 (not sure if they're that good but had good reviews and just in my budget) 

 

I'm planning on keeping the running going so thought a good incentive would be some decent trainers. 

Brooos Ravenna 10 at present seem to suit my feet and running style. Very comfortable and stable for my ankles etc

 

I also have a pair of Saucony Trail trainers also which feel very similar to Brooks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Been out for 7 miles today (1.11:44)

Best 5k at 31.01

Best 10k at 1.03:14

Didn't feel particularly knackered during or after.

Surprisingly for me for a walk/run my 1k times were pretty similar (usually they're wide apart) 6.07 quickest, 6.31 slowest

What that means if anything I don't know but mentally and physically I feel great.

 

3zl2in.jpg

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2020 at 19:06, Collymore said:

What running shoes people got?

 

I normally go cheap Kalenji from Decathlon but I've just treated myself to some Asics Gel Cumulus 21 (not sure if they're that good but had good reviews and just in my budget) 

 

I'm planning on keeping the running going so thought a good incentive would be some decent trainers. 

 

different strokes for different folks…. I like Brooks and also have some nice enough adidas boost which are good and snug 

 

only tip is get road shoes for road and off roaders for off road 
 

 

On 29/04/2020 at 20:28, Collymore said:

. I remember having that camera on the treadmill and the assistant telling me asics were suited to my step/foot so have just tended to go with them. 

I’m sure others will weigh in with opinions, but, unless you have a particularly over/ under pronated step…. I get the feeling this is marketing

Edited by Wolfox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

 

different strokes for different folks…. I like Brooks and also have some nice enough adidas boost which are good and snug 

 

only tip is get road shoes for road and off roaders for off road 
 

 

I’m sure others will weigh in with opinions, but, unless you have a particularly over/ under pronated step…. I get the feeling this is marketing

I thought the same beforehand but the bloke explained the science quite well and the shoes he was pushing weren't that expensive so I kind of trusted it. 

Edited by Collymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking forwards to jumping on a gait analysis treadmill. 
 

It’ll be interesting to see what he makes of my running style after a mangled right ankle with torn ligaments (reduced movement), damaged left knee which had pins and wire to reconstruct it. Then a recently healed torn MCL. 
 

I’m assuming he’ll advise me to get a bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

@Collymore - meant to add - get some proper running socks 

 

They seem to help - no idea why!

Cheers mate. I did actually get a decent pair off Amazon when I got the shoes so sorted. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

New high score! Also; I’m in complete agony.

 

37FC5D4C-5FFD-438E-9B2D-E067AD66628A.thumb.png.2712f28fccc378b9f65097b3e57b684c.png

Humblebragging at it's best right there :D

 

Seriously though, good going :appl:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Humblebragging at it's best right there :D

 

Seriously though, good going :appl:

I have to say I encountered tons of problems. First two hours I ran without stopping which was great, but after that point my mouth was so dry I had to get a drink. Managed to get some water from a Holland and Barret of all places (!), but after drinking it and resting for 5 minutes I basically couldn't get going again, and had to walk / dramatically drop the pace. My joints were just really stiff and painful and I find this happens once I stop.

 

I seriously wonder how people do long distance running? I guess I could bring a bottle of water with me, but hate the idea of running around carrying it. I try and bring as little with me as possible, music player, key to get home and debit card in case I need to buy a drink. I am literally in the best shape I have been in for probably 7 years but still a long way away from being able to do 26 miles for a Marathon! I'll be honest, after running really well last week and during the week, I thought there was an outside chance I could pull it off today, but as you can see I noped out of that one pretty badly.

 

Still as you say definitely worth a not-so humblebrag ha ha ah!

 

 

Edited by StriderHiryu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

New high score! Also; I’m in complete agony.

 

37FC5D4C-5FFD-438E-9B2D-E067AD66628A.thumb.png.2712f28fccc378b9f65097b3e57b684c.png

Your distances are insane Anil!! I'm in awe tbh lol

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I have to say I encountered tons of problems. First two hours I ran without stopping which was great, but after that point my mouth was so dry I had to get a drink. Managed to get some water from a Holland and Barret of all places (!), but after drinking it and resting for 5 minutes I basically couldn't get going again, and had to walk / dramatically drop the pace. My joints were just really stiff and painful and I find this happens once I stop.

 

I seriously wonder how people do long distance running? I guess I could bring a bottle of water with me, but hate the idea of running around carrying it. I try and bring as little with me as possible, music player, key to get home and debit card in case I need to buy a drink. I am literally in the best shape I have been in for probably 7 years but still a long way away from being able to do 26 miles for a Marathon! I'll be honest, after running really well last week and during the week, I thought there was an outside chance I could pull it off today, but as you can see I noped out of that one pretty badly.

 

Still as you say definitely worth a not-so humblebrag ha ha ah!

 

I bought one of these on someone's recommendation on here:

 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bag-trail-5-l-black-bronze-id_8555358.html

 

Bags - BAG TRAIL 5 L BLACK/BRONZE EVADICT - Hydration packsTRAIL RUNNING EQUIPMENT Bags - BAG TRAIL 5 L BLACK/BRONZE EVADICT - Bags

 

Great bit of kit and you don't realise you're wearing it. Holds up to 5l of water in a pouch down the back and your phone, key, card etc go in the front pocket.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I bought one of these on someone's recommendation on here:

 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bag-trail-5-l-black-bronze-id_8555358.html

 

Bags - BAG TRAIL 5 L BLACK/BRONZE EVADICT - Hydration packsTRAIL RUNNING EQUIPMENT Bags - BAG TRAIL 5 L BLACK/BRONZE EVADICT - Bags

 

Great bit of kit and you don't realise you're wearing it. Holds up to 5l of water in a pouch down the back and your phone, key, card etc go in the front pocket.

 

 

Thanks! A friend just recommended something like this to me too. I will check it out!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I have to say I encountered tons of problems. First two hours I ran without stopping which was great, but after that point my mouth was so dry I had to get a drink. Managed to get some water from a Holland and Barret of all places (!), but after drinking it and resting for 5 minutes I basically couldn't get going again, and had to walk / dramatically drop the pace. My joints were just really stiff and painful and I find this happens once I stop.

 

I seriously wonder how people do long distance running? I guess I could bring a bottle of water with me, but hate the idea of running around carrying it. I try and bring as little with me as possible, music player, key to get home and debit card in case I need to buy a drink. I am literally in the best shape I have been in for probably 7 years but still a long way away from being able to do 26 miles for a Marathon! I'll be honest, after running really well last week and during the week, I thought there was an outside chance I could pull it off today, but as you can see I noped out of that one pretty badly.

 

Still as you say definitely worth a not-so humblebrag ha ha ah!

 

 

You can't seriously plan on doing 20 miles with a drink being an after thought lol

 

I think 6 is about the maximum I could get away with without water and then I'd need to be hitting the isotonic/salts after 10 miles with energy gels probably any further than that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...