Jump to content
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

Recommended Posts

Heya!  Just sent a request to join.  I use strava as a running journal, so I always try to post a little bit of description on what was going on that day.  That helps me as I look back on my progress.  Also, I've used the app on my apple watch on a treadmill and it's actually been very accurate, I'd say it stays within a 3-4% variance at max with what the treadmill distance says.  I'm on an everyday running streak of 278 days now and currently doing a training program for my first marathon in April and my first 50k in May.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Fox of WA said:

Heya!  Just sent a request to join.  I use strava as a running journal, so I always try to post a little bit of description on what was going on that day.  That helps me as I look back on my progress.  Also, I've used the app on my apple watch on a treadmill and it's actually been very accurate, I'd say it stays within a 3-4% variance at max with what the treadmill distance says.  I'm on an everyday running streak of 278 days now and currently doing a training program for my first marathon in April and my first 50k in May.

Impressive! I think my longest streak is 6... lol

 

Which marathon and 50k have you entered? I've got my first marathon in April as well (Manchester) and whilst I've not done a fixed-distance ultra before I have ran a 24-hour race last year - ending with ~50miles - and have another 24hr in June.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Xen said:

Impressive! I think my longest streak is 6... lol

 

Which marathon and 50k have you entered? I've got my first marathon in April as well (Manchester) and whilst I've not done a fixed-distance ultra before I have ran a 24-hour race last year - ending with ~50miles - and have another 24hr in June.

Well I’m in Washington state USA. The marathon is in Bend Oregon and the 50k is not far off from there at a place called Lost Creek Trail. It’s a once around circuit race around a lake there in the hills with something like 1000 foot elevation change I think. Nothing too crazy as far as technical trails but it will be really pretty views. I’ve always thought those 24 hour races were cool but I honestly don’t understand them. How does that work? Was yours a relay? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fox of WA said:

Well I’m in Washington state USA. The marathon is in Bend Oregon and the 50k is not far off from there at a place called Lost Creek Trail. It’s a once around circuit race around a lake there in the hills with something like 1000 foot elevation change I think. Nothing too crazy as far as technical trails but it will be really pretty views. I’ve always thought those 24 hour races were cool but I honestly don’t understand them. How does that work? Was yours a relay? 

Yeah, I realised you might be US-based after posting :) 

Sounds like a great race! Don't think I've ever done a proper trail race, so need to look for one to add to the calendar at some point.

 

Not sure if they all work the same, but the one I did last year was a 10k loop, and it's just a case of how many laps can you do in the time limit. You're free to stop and rest at the campsite by the start/finish for as long as you want between laps, so you don't have to be out on course for the full 24 hours. Plenty of people there were doing relays as well (one person out on course at any given time, but otherwise you can do as many/few laps as you want before handing over the baton). My 24hr this year is at the same location, but an 8k loop instead of a 10k.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been roped into doing a half marathon in April so figured I should get started lol Not done any running in a couple of years but I'm only 21 so hopefully won't find it too difficult to get up to speed with it.

 

Downloaded the app this morning and did a quick 3k run to see if I could manage that, and it went alright. Doing 5k park run on Saturday so that will be the 1st test. Requested to join but I think I'll be last on the leaderboard for a while aha

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

count me in. 

 

i don’t run very far or very fast but i’ve been having a go for 6 months seen as i do no other exercise, smoke, drink most days and eat shit in work about 4 days a week. 

 

not gonna be trying to break any records aha, mainly just jog a few times a week to try and not die before i’m 40. a little leaderboard etc will help me a bit to get up and go a bit more often hopefully. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Steeplechase?

added a little extra to my morning run…. Naturally I vaulted it in one…

 

5 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

No he is branching off from that . . . 

Badum tish!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed 30 mins 29 seconds on my first park run. Started at the back so could probably have knocked a minute or 2 off that but it wasn't the time that I was that bothered about. Managed to complete it without being absolutely knackered at the end so pretty pleased with how it went.

 

However the thought of having to do 4 park runs in a row to do the half marathon is a bit daunting lol

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Marmite said:

I am training for the Manchester Marathon

so aiming to do around 20-30 miles a week. 
 

I have sent a request to join 

Got it….  Up to 16 runners now…. Think we did just shy of 300 club km last week!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ian W LCFC said:

Managed 30 mins 29 seconds on my first park run. Started at the back so could probably have knocked a minute or 2 off that but it wasn't the time that I was that bothered about. Managed to complete it without being absolutely knackered at the end so pretty pleased with how it went.

 

However the thought of having to do 4 park runs in a row to do the half marathon is a bit daunting lol

You’ll get your fitness quite quickly…. In 3-4 weeks you could be doing 10km…. Then inch up to 12-14km and you’re nearly there!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Think the higher mileage has finally caught up with me and I've picked up a niggle in my IT Band, same side I've had issues with before. Not really surprising as I'm running double what my usual weekly mileage was, but still frustrating nonetheless. Skipped yesterday's speedwork and I've got a rest day today anyway, so RICE-ing it and ton of foam rolling/stretching to try and keep it at bay.

can run on it as-is if needed (although obviously that doesn't help recovery) so fingers crossed I'll be able to get out running again asap. Longest run of marathon training planned for this weekend to look forward to, if my knee is up to it.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I could barely run a mile or two a year ago but I've got better over the past year.

Always on the treadmill, never outside, because... well, because I make excuses - my phone will be uncomfortable in my pocket, I need a drinks bottle but don't want to carry it etc

Had a bizarre one off experience last year when I ran 7 miles without stopping (on the treadmill) but can't get anywhere near that again.

I do think I might get a better buzz running outside but just cant bring myself to do it.

I don't record my running or fitness on any app (but understand why others do).

I don't enjoy running really but I know it's good for me and it helps with the mental issues I have about my weight and body.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest.

Keep on running!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...