Jump to content
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

Recommended Posts

I’m off work this week, so my plan is to get 5k in every day.

 

Lets see how that goes!!! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/05/2020 at 01:58, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Went out on Saturday trying to do 10k in under an hour.

Pushed myself harder than I have before (got three new PBs along the way) but fell just short of the main target.

Frustrating... so damn close!

 

10K - 1:00.04 ... aggghhhhhhhh, four seconds FFS

5K - 29.48

1mile - 9.08

 

Made progress in last month/six weeks (my 10k PB in mid April was 15 minutes slower) so trying to keep positive.

Thanks to my old mate @Izzy for the footwear advice, it's made a massive difference.

Have you got new trainers or are you now wearing the right shoe on the right foot and the left shoe on the left foot? :thumbup:

 

In all seriousness, footwear makes a massive difference as I've found recently, especially with longer distances. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed to smash out a sub 30 minute 5k today, felt like my organs were going to fall out of my arse at the end though tbh. 
 

I’m up to 72km this month (not just running, some walks in there too) so I’m keen to try and hit 100k by June 1st. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Manini said:

Managed to smash out a sub 30 minute 5k today, felt like my organs were going to fall out of my arse at the end though tbh. 
I’m up to 72km this month (not just running, some walks in there too) so I’m keen to try and hit 100k by June 1st. 

Great work mate, keep us posted.

This thread gives me hope re exercise when I need a kick up the backside.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using Nike Run to track mine at the moment otherwise I'd be onboard. Running with the Mrs at the moment so most times/distances are up to her, but I did manage to get a 5k in on my own last weekend in 25.32 that I was reasonably happy with. Still a minute and a half or so to come out of that I think.

 

Running on Bournemouth beach in the evening at the moment is blissful, perfectly clear and not too hot. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horrible 15km today, not sure why I went for it but followed a nice country path out to one of the nearby villages, route back into town was tough. Had a number of occasions where I seriously thought about walking and the last climb was a mental and physical f**ker. Not sure I'll be venturing around those kind of distances again anytime soon. :facepalm:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Horrible 15km today, not sure why I went for it but followed a nice country path out to one of the nearby villages, route back into town was tough. Had a number of occasions where I seriously thought about walking and the last climb was a mental and physical f**ker. Not sure I'll be venturing around those kind of distances again anytime soon. :facepalm:

Good effort anyway bud, go shorter for a while and try a longer run in a week or two whilst you build up again? 
 

I stupidly went for a 9 mile run today after doing a 10 mile run yesterday. Shit a brick I was not surprisingly very tired today.

 

my own fault but then again I am working the next 6:7 days I think and need to run when I can (with child care issues thrown in for good measure).

 

anyway seriously give yourself a pat on the back for just having a go, sometimes that’s enough 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Good effort anyway bud, go shorter for a while and try a longer run in a week or two whilst you build up again? 
 

I stupidly went for a 9 mile run today after doing a 10 mile run yesterday. Shit a brick I was not surprisingly very tired today.

 

my own fault but then again I am working the next 6:7 days I think and need to run when I can (with child care issues thrown in for good measure).

 

anyway seriously give yourself a pat on the back for just having a go, sometimes that’s enough 

Cheers mate, I think I'll stick to the shorter stuff and throw a longer run in every 2 weeks. 19 miles across two days is real good going, I doubt I'll be able to walk tomorrow let alone run!

 

I know what you mean about getting the runs in when you can, the feeling of accomplishment is definitely worth it as well.

 

Thanks again, appreciate it!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Training plan called for my first-ever session of hill sprints today. Only 4x15sec so nothing too bad, but bloody hell the heat made it so much worse. The only hill near me which is steep enough for that sorta thing happens to be right out in the open by a few farmers fields with zero shade - I don't cope well with the sun directly on me like that so I was already feeling rough on the way to the hill before I'd even done the hard part lol 

Adding in a bit of speedwork is definitely helping with motivation to keep the streak (day60 today) going - mostly easy-effort running was starting to get a bit repetitive so its nice mixing things up. Hopefully get that 5k time down a bit more over the next few weeks, too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gradually building up to a 10k. Did 8k yesterday, running through Oadby, Stoughton and Evington in 44 mins. 
 

Aiming to do 10k in sub 60 mins which should be achievable 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Aiming to do 10k in sub 60 mins which should be achievable 

It's my holy grail right now.

Missed out by four seconds the other day and thought I was on for it yesterday but failed by 27 seconds, still my second best effort.

Always have to look for positives though:

 

1k PB - 5.17 

1 mile PB - 8.58 

2 miles PB - 18.40

 

Those were all at the start of my run so maybe I blew my gasket too early.

Strange really because they were on an upward gradient and then I was huffing/puffing on the more downward last 5k.

I'm still new to all this and trying to work out WTF I'm actually doing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/05/2020 at 21:58, DB11 said:

That's sad news. I think they should look more at an advertising based model than a subscription based on personally. Have it that if you pay for premium it removes ads, etc. That way they'd make money off free users and still have a premium revenue stream. That said it seemed like they tried something similar and it didn't work out. But whilst I get that they need to make money, this isn't the way to do it for me, and given that their user numbers and usage must have shot through the roof during lockdown times, it says to me there is something fundamentally wrong with their business if they aren't making money right now given that it should be a boom time for a company who app is based around running!

 

I've only started using the app over the last few months (since lockdown) and I think it's good but not great. I would continue to use it but can't see any merit to going premium, even if they take features away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did a few laps of the local park yesterday evening and managed to hit PBs for 1 mile, 2 miles, and 1km. I have hit a quicker mile before in something like 5m:46s, but that was going almost vertically downhill from Kibworth to Market Harborough so I'm happy to almost hit sub 6 minutes on a flat surface. 

 

An old school friend of mine runs Half Marathons in 1h:15m and a full in sub 3 hours, which puts my 1h:39m and 3h:58m PBs in to perspective; I often see his runs come up on Strava when he hits sub 6 minutes time after time on longish runs, I'm not sure he knows it but I have both admiration and hatred for him :D.  

 

 

Screenshot_20200519-202550_Strava.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Did a few laps of the local park yesterday evening and managed to hit PBs for 1 mile, 2 miles, and 1km. I have hit a quicker mile before in something like 5m:46s, but that was going almost vertically downhill from Kibworth to Market Harborough so I'm happy to almost hit sub 6 minutes on a flat surface. 

 

An old school friend of mine runs Half Marathons in 1h:15m and a full in sub 3 hours, which puts my 1h:39m and 3h:58m PBs in to perspective; I often see his runs come up on Strava when he hits sub 6 minutes time after time on longish runs, I'm not sure he knows it but I have both admiration and hatred for him :D.  

 

 

Screenshot_20200519-202550_Strava.jpg

Well done, that's awesome to be making progress. Is that what you are after? Getting quicker?

 

Personally my goal is to lose weight, got a little bit of "puppy fat" that I am trying to get rid of which is so stubborn to shift! But it seems like some insane running is starting to make some progress here, though I feel like I am reaching the point of diminishing returns already.

 

In general I am getting faster, but I can have huge changes in pace without really thinking about it. Earlier in the week I ran at a pace of 6:53 a mile for two hours, covering over 16 miles in just under 2 hours which must be my best run of the year. But then yesterday I ran for 2 hours and had a pace of 9:18 per mile. So talk about a massive difference. But not too concerned about the pace, just enjoying the runs and seeing the benefits of doing it. Plus with this gorgeous weather it is nice to take a break at the end of it and relax a bit. But be careful! Highest temperature of the year expected today so will be tough going if you are out today I imagine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

It's my holy grail right now.

Missed out by four seconds the other day and thought I was on for it yesterday but failed by 27 seconds, still my second best effort.

Always have to look for positives though:

 

1k PB - 5.17 

1 mile PB - 8.58 

2 miles PB - 18.40

 

Those were all at the start of my run so maybe I blew my gasket too early.

Strange really because they were on an upward gradient and then I was huffing/puffing on the more downward last 5k.

I'm still new to all this and trying to work out WTF I'm actually doing.

Absolutely.

 

I'm a novice at this, I was happy enough with the time for my 8k but was pretty knackered by the end of it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Well done, that's awesome to be making progress. Is that what you are after? Getting quicker?

 

Personally my goal is to lose weight, got a little bit of "puppy fat" that I am trying to get rid of which is so stubborn to shift! But it seems like some insane running is starting to make some progress here, though I feel like I am reaching the point of diminishing returns already.

 

In general I am getting faster, but I can have huge changes in pace without really thinking about it. Earlier in the week I ran at a pace of 6:53 a mile for two hours, covering over 16 miles in just under 2 hours which must be my best run of the year. But then yesterday I ran for 2 hours and had a pace of 9:18 per mile. So talk about a massive difference. But not too concerned about the pace, just enjoying the runs and seeing the benefits of doing it. Plus with this gorgeous weather it is nice to take a break at the end of it and relax a bit. But be careful! Highest temperature of the year expected today so will be tough going if you are out today I imagine.

Cheers! Yeah, ideally. I've always been able to run and run and didn't really struggle in the two marathons I've ran in terms of endurance, but I've never been out and out quick. I've lost motivation for longer runs at the moment, anything over an hour eats too much in to my day alongside work and general life admin. Hopefully I'll find time/motivation for that again soon though.

 

Glad to hear you're getting their with your goal! Weight loss is so difficult, particularly for just a few pounds, so I think you just need to stick at it. You'll always have the odd plateau along the way.

 

That's really impressive over 16 miles, congrats man. Absolutely, I'm just enjoying soaking up the lovely weather and getting out of the house for a few hours a week. It's lovely seeing more runners out and about too, it's so good for your mental and physical health. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Cheers! Yeah, ideally. I've always been able to run and run and didn't really struggle in the two marathons I've ran in terms of endurance, but I've never been out and out quick. I've lost motivation for longer runs at the moment, anything over an hour eats too much in to my day alongside work and general life admin. Hopefully I'll find time/motivation for that again soon though.

 

Glad to hear you're getting their with your goal! Weight loss is so difficult, particularly for just a few pounds, so I think you just need to stick at it. You'll always have the odd plateau along the way.

 

That's really impressive over 16 miles, congrats man. Absolutely, I'm just enjoying soaking up the lovely weather and getting out of the house for a few hours a week. It's lovely seeing more runners out and about too, it's so good for your mental and physical health. 

Two marathons! Damn that's super impressive!

 

I know what you mean about running taking too long. That's why usually I wouldn't do as much but because I no longer have a commute to and from work and I really hate being cooped all day that I've ended up subconsciously running further. As you say it's fantastic for mental health and I think that if I wasn't running I would have already gone insane a long time ago. Lockdown is depressing!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Two marathons! Damn that's super impressive!

 

I know what you mean about running taking too long. That's why usually I wouldn't do as much but because I no longer have a commute to and from work and I really hate being cooped all day that I've ended up subconsciously running further. As you say it's fantastic for mental health and I think that if I wasn't running I would have already gone insane a long time ago. Lockdown is depressing!

Yeah, done the Leicester and Brighton and was due to do Paris in April. It's been rearranged for October, but i'm working on the basis that it won't go ahead and therefore I don't need to train for it lol

 

Makes total sense, the more spare time I have the more I run/walk too. Definitely with you on the going insane without running too. I get quite a few friends question my love of running as they find it incredibly tedious, whereas I find lifting weights equally tedious, but each to their own I guess! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sly said:

I went out yesterday morning to do a 5k. 
 

I ended up doing 12k, which is the furthest I’ve done to date. I wasn’t quick and by the end I was having to walk / run as my body was aching like crazy. However I was super happy when I got home! 

How weird is it that on those last couple of K you feel like you’d rather be anywhere in the world doing anything else and you question why the **** you bothered, but then as soon as you’re home and you’ve got your breath back and you look at your stats, you feel like you could get back out there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Manini said:

How weird is it that on those last couple of K you feel like you’d rather be anywhere in the world doing anything else and you question why the **** you bothered, but then as soon as you’re home and you’ve got your breath back and you look at your stats, you feel like you could get back out there. 

It’s funny you should say that, as I felt like going again last night! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Guiza said:

Yeah, done the Leicester and Brighton and was due to do Paris in April. It's been rearranged for October, but i'm working on the basis that it won't go ahead and therefore I don't need to train for it lol

 

Makes total sense, the more spare time I have the more I run/walk too. Definitely with you on the going insane without running too. I get quite a few friends question my love of running as they find it incredibly tedious, whereas I find lifting weights equally tedious, but each to their own I guess! 

Have you ever thought about doing an ultra? I’m 2 marathons down (should’ve been 3 & 4 this year but that’s looking unlikely) however I’m doing 100K straight through next year. I was meant to be doing it this coming weekend and was about to up my training when all this current craziness kicked in.  Managed to defer it so at least I’ve got something to work towards again.  I’m actually holding out hope for a small scale ultra still going ahead in September so I’ll do that instead - it’s only 35 miles so not too taxing. 
 

Feeling a bit ‘meh’ about running at the moment. Trying to enjoy it without having anything to train for. My club have set up a couple of time trial routes so we can aim for our standard times but I miss racing. I’ve lost 30-60 seconds a miles and it’s so frustrating!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...