Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BigWesMorgan

Aston Villa post match thread 2-1

Recommended Posts

Who wants to form a queue in tying several knots in Vardy's tubes? No goals, injuries and has the touch of a first-class donkey since coming back.

 

No more kids please Jamie. The club needs you when you're not behind on your sleep or rusty after being on paternity leave.

 

Plus I may well be sticking my neck out here (and I know we're all now a little on edge after that so think before y'all speak), and I know there have been many-a scapegoat being maligned over the past couple of months, but do we really need to start looking at a long term replacement for Kasper Schmeichel? Legend as he may be, everyone has their time when they're not on top of their game anymore. His distribution causes absolute panic, punches/flaps at set pieces rather than collects and doesn't command his penalty area. Times change, maybe a new set of gloves between posts does too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope that won't derail our season. When big games like this come around, we just don't have the mentality to win them, no matter the opposition.

 

And that's what separates us from Liverpool and Man City.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EnderbyFox said:

Pathetic from Gray at the end to not put any pressure on that cross.. literally asking him to whip it in the box. Poor defending from Ricardo also. 

 

 

VAR penalty incident will get brushed under the carpet as per, VAR can do no wrong in the FA's eyes. Stone wall. 

 

1 hour ago, bennytwohats said:

Was screaming ‘get tight to him’ at the TV. Had all the time in the world to whip the ball in, absolutely criminal at this level

 

1 hour ago, tylesta said:

Why our why has gray not closed the player who crossed the ball 

 

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Yep. Me and my boys were screaming at the telly for him to close down. He has zero game awareness. 

 

1 hour ago, ForeverandEver said:


Chilwel should’ve been screaming at him to press & close him down. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️
 

Instead Chilwell Gray & Grealish looked like they were having a chin wag down that left. 


Watch it again. Gray was splitting the man in possession and the winger. 
 

Had he closed down, they’d have got a cross in from the winger. He needed Chilwell to take responsibility of the winger and not stand behind him marking nobody. 
 

Gray was going to be made a mug of regardless of his decision in this scenario. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leeds Fox said:

 

 

 

 


Watch it again. Gray was splitting the man in possession and the winger. 
 

Had he closed down, they’d have got a cross in from the winger. He needed Chilwell to take responsibility of the winger and not stand behind him marking nobody. 
 

Gray was going to be made a mug of regardless of his decision in this scenario. 

Gray can do nothing right on FT. I don't know what he's done wrong, but he is a massive scapegoat on here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bezzanator89 said:

Who wants to form a queue in tying several knots in Vardy's tubes? No goals, injuries and has the touch of a first-class donkey since coming back.

 

No more kids please Jamie. The club needs you when you're not behind on your sleep or rusty after being on paternity leave.

 

Plus I may well be sticking my neck out here (and I know we're all now a little on edge after that so think before y'all speak), and I know there have been many-a scapegoat being maligned over the past couple of months, but do we really need to start looking at a long term replacement for Kasper Schmeichel? Legend as he may be, everyone has their time when they're not on top of their game anymore. His distribution causes absolute panic, punches/flaps at set pieces rather than collects and doesn't command his penalty area. Times change, maybe a new set of gloves between posts does too.

Dean Henderson please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It'll be a laugh seeing Villa get smashed in the final and languishing around the bottom 3 for the rest of the season.

 

The more important thing for us is to learn from it, become more resilient and push on for top 4.  The players will grow stronger as a result of what has happened tonight.  We need to move on and learn from it.  These inexperienced, talented lot will have their time.  Onwards and upwards.

No good being vengeful to Villa, they did, as underdogs, what we have done to others in the past and we were ecstatic too at the time. Sometimes with talent and flair you also have to turn up with a bit of O'Neil or Pearson spirit, grit and fight, we're not entitled to anything. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely gutted. But sometimes an inferior team can gut it out, ride their luck and benefit from a goalkeeper who literally stands on his head. Villa managed it over two legs! Add in a stonewall penalty not given and it simply wasn't meant to be. We also have to acknowledge that we made a big contribution to our own demise by not taking our numerous chances. We've all seen it happen to good teams numerous times in cup competitions over the years. A bigger concern is that we are also developing a worrying habit of freezing / not turning up on the big occasions. The lack of energy and urgency in a big semi final is also hard to fathom. This we must sort out if the progress made under Rodgers is to bear fruit as we battle on in the FA Cup and in the Champions League next season. One other bright spot is that we can sit back and watch Villa getting ripped to pieces by Man City as Watford were in the FA Cup final last year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SAFC1 said:

Gutted for you’s tbh, I bet that hurts. 

Cheers mate,

working in Sunderland and watched it at Sloanes Pool hall and your boys in there wanted us to win and were cheering us on too so fair play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I felt tonight, is that whenever the player with the ball looked up, there wasn’t anyone within 20 yards of him, forcing him to make a dodgy pass or just a long ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, iamafox said:

I really hope that won't derail our season. When big games like this come around, we just don't have the mentality to win them, no matter the opposition.

 

And that's what separates us from Liverpool and Man City.

Yes!!!  But how long did they need..??   Oh and with a better fan base,who supported and gave their New squad time und a fair Share of patience...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leeds Fox said:

 

 

 

 


Watch it again. Gray was splitting the man in possession and the winger. 
 

Had he closed down, they’d have got a cross in from the winger. He needed Chilwell to take responsibility of the winger and not stand behind him marking nobody. 
 

Gray was going to be made a mug of regardless of his decision in this scenario. 

Thought that myself on the replay. Gray is clearly distracted by the fact that the winger is in space also and he hesitates. Chilwell should have gone to intercept the wide player and given Gray a shout that he had his man, Gray could then have pushed on to close down his man without worrying about the other one. Even if he doesn't get there he is putting his man under pressure and maybe the cross is rushed. 

I am not defending Gray, nor trying to lay the blame on Chilwell, but rather that they must at least share responsibility. It is all about communication and confidence in your team mates to be where they should be. 

I think that Rodgers has swapped Evans and Cags around to put Evans next to Chilwell to give him some guidance (Ricardo can look after himself no worries) as he has been a bit off recently (i think that being torn a new one by KDB and Mahrez dented his confidence). The down side to that is that Chilwell seems to be a lot narrower in defensive positions, giving too much space to opposition winger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

What I felt tonight, is that whenever the player with the ball looked up, there wasn’t anyone within 20 yards of him, forcing him to make a dodgy pass or just a long ball. 

Or two of his own on Top of him.....We walked or stood still,they ran and offered their presence,both sides of the Player with the ball,they chased down,they covered Our wings better....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just come back from the game absolutely spineless performance! Brendan has no clue how to set up in the big games! Maddison goes missing against big teams or in big games! Starting to question if we will even make it to the European competition come end of the season! Need to find an out and out striker winger and full back and this needs to happen fast!

  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, urban fox said:

Thought that myself on the replay. Gray is clearly distracted by the fact that the winger is in space also and he hesitates. Chilwell should have gone to intercept the wide player and given Gray a shout that he had his man, Gray could then have pushed on to close down his man without worrying about the other one. Even if he doesn't get there he is putting his man under pressure and maybe the cross is rushed. 

I am not defending Gray, nor trying to lay the blame on Chilwell, but rather that they must at least share responsibility. It is all about communication and confidence in your team mates to be where they should be. 

I think that Rodgers has swapped Evans and Cags around to put Evans next to Chilwell to give him some guidance (Ricardo can look after himself no worries) as he has been a bit off recently (i think that being torn a new one by KDB and Mahrez dented his confidence). The down side to that is that Chilwell seems to be a lot narrower in defensive positions, giving too much space to opposition winger.

I reckon Ricardo,gets Away with alot of shit,But its Chilwell who has to Take it.....!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rodgers at fault entirely. 4th big game in a row we have not turned up, i’d give Rodgers the benefit of the doubt for the first leg because Ndidi was out but every other game he has got wrong.

 

looked to me like we set up to nullify a relegation fodder team, hardly instilling confidence in our players to go out and perform. Barnes playing practically LWB, Tielemans LCDM with no roaming forward. The fact I wouldn’t say any single player had a bad game says it all.

 

For me the goal is on Rodgers, it’s clear gray got sent on with the instruction of watching Grealish (backs off from danger to Mark Grealish) allowing an easy cross in in the 92nd minute ffs.

 

i love Rodgers and the enjoyment he has pumped back in to watching leicester is incredible but f f s if this is the mentality we take with big games we will be what we have always mocked, serial bottlers 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted a thread/question earlier this month "not good under pressure?"

That was pre Burnley and I have to say I've seen nothing to make me change my opinion.

We need experience in midfield and some quality wide.

Young players are great (if we keep them) but it's a mix we need.

I'd be happy to see a class player in the twilight of his career with Madders and Wilf in midfield and an alternative to Perez wide.

Above all we need LEADERS, its no coincidence that we had lots in 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fuchsntf said:

I reckon Ricardo,gets Away with alot of shit,But its Chilwell who has to Take it.....!!

I thought Ricardo could also have done better with the cross TBH. dont recall him getting round the back like he usually does either.  too many players having an off day. Maybe due to their lack of years many were thinking too much about the game itself rather than just playing naturally. The movement seemed deliberate rather than instinctual and therefore easier to defend and counter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn’t care less about the stats by the way. We had 2 big chances over the two legs and scored 2 goals, everything else was half chances. 

 

Against the same opposition, at the same ground in the league we probably should’ve Scored 8. Only thing that changed was the mentality 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, E.Rose said:

23E84A8A-DB2B-4A61-A3F6-F863E46CCAF0.thumb.jpeg.2ec8ffbf9e480f1a0d69d53a39c8a20f.jpeg
😤

Also dominant stats from the first leg too. Unfortunately for us their keeper played a blinder tonight and they were able to put the ball in the net one more time than us over the two games.

 

Sometimes that's football and it hurts but we have to show character and finish the season strongly.

Screenshot_20200128-233640.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shade said:

okay this formation doesn't seem to be working, 433 is meant to be 451 in defence but often turns in to 415 with Perez tielemans barnes maddison and vardy all standing up front (I understand vardy has to), leaving massive gaps to exploit.

I know it has obviously done better than alright over the season but in this run, and this game specifically, we looked outnumbered everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

That infuriated me tonight and made me think back to CL nights when we got a tonking and still insisted on trying to pass it around our own 18 yard box, inviting pressure. It infuriated me so much I was shouting at the tv tonight in the second-half.

 

Was as plain as the nose on your face in the second-half the way to beat that press was to go direct and in behind to Vardy.

 

Rodgers needs to sort that out, never seems to learn and blindly sticks to the same principles. 

We were yelling at kasper to bang it long, first time he does it and we nearly score a goal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Has anyone posted the two leg stats yet?

 

We had 43 goal attempts to their 13.


there are more stats that irritate me but I can’t be bothered to post them.

Stats are for spurs fans 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

I know it has obviously done better than alright over the season but in this run, and this game specifically, we looked outnumbered everywhere.

We lack power and strength, they brought us down to their level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...