Jump to content
BigWesMorgan

Aston Villa post match thread 2-1

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

First post since the final whistle, purposefully so. I was way to salty and sulky last night.

Well done you for showing restraint! I know what you mean but personally I needed to vent, as diplomatically as possible, just to get it out my system. I consider the forum an ideal place to do it, rather than take it out on the random items of lounge knick-knacks/decoration. I was not a pleasant person come the final whistle.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rodgers has done great so far but my concern at the minute is that he's been up against bin men in Scotland for 3 seasons with no real pressure on his side as they were comfortably better than the opposition and most of the time teams turned up against Celtic already beaten. We've looked our best this season against teams that are of a similar mind set to those teams in Scotland. Where Rodgers has really struggled has been motivating his team and getting them up for the 'pressure games' any time a team has come at us this season we've looked like Rabbits in headlights and Rodgers needs to address that because we can all see that if the heads drop in this team for a sustained amount of time it has the potential to derail our season.

 

Saying that I have no reason yet to believe Rodgers won't fix this - we are still having a great season its just a shame the semi finals played out as they did.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of understandable frustration but some of the criticism of players is a joke.

 

Their keeper produced three world class saves, not reaction saves from close in where you could argue that the striker could have done better.  Maddison twice and Youri did everything right with shots that were going right in the corner - nothing we can do but applaud the lad.  Some of our players didn’t have their best game in a City shirt but to say that they don’t care enough is ridiculous.

 

The handball is baffling and I would love to hear Dermot’s take on it but I doubt there will be a Ref Watch on Sky today so I guess we have to suck it up.  Hopefully Lee Mason will decide he owes us one on Saturday.

 

I am as gutted as anyone this morning but I don’t think it feels as bad as it would have done in 97,99 or 2000 because we still have so much to play for.  As numerous people have said this is a very young team and while 2000 did feel like the end of an era this is only the beginning.

 

My hope is that Brendan, Kolo etc can use this to spur on the lads for Chelsea on Saturday and that we can do our bit by making sure that the KP is absolutely rocking.  

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CUJimmy said:

Lots of understandable frustration but some of the criticism of players is a joke.

 

Their keeper produced three world class saves, not reaction saves from close in where you could argue that the striker could have done better.  Maddison twice and Youri did everything right with shots that were going right in the corner - nothing we can do but applaud the lad.  Some of our players didn’t have their best game in a City shirt but to say that they don’t care enough is ridiculous.

 

The handball is baffling and I would love to hear Dermot’s take on it but I doubt there will be a Ref Watch on Sky today so I guess we have to suck it up.  Hopefully Lee Mason will decide he owes us one on Saturday.

 

I am as gutted as anyone this morning but I don’t think it feels as bad as it would have done in 97,99 or 2000 because we still have so much to play for.  As numerous people have said this is a very young team and while 2000 did feel like the end of an era this is only the beginning.

 

My hope is that Brendan, Kolo etc can use this to spur on the lads for Chelsea on Saturday and that we can do our bit by making sure that the KP is absolutely rocking.  

 

 

Using the handball decisions already given this season by VAR as a benchmark it was an absolute disgrace no penalty was given last night.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Using the handball decisions already given this season by VAR as a benchmark it was an absolute disgrace no penalty was given last night.

There seems to be a suggestion  that they looked at the wrong incident but I can’t see anyone coming out and admitting that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you take the game apart any analyse everything, it's minor details which are costing us games. Maddison's first effort goes in and we win comfortably. Our mental resolve needs to be worked on, ability wise we're absolutely flying, but it is that mentality, the ability to keep grinding away, that is simply what Villa did... They kept on plugging away at what they were doing and eventually it paid off, largely thanks to our wastefulness in front of goal and a shocking penalty decision. 

 

These fine margins can be worked on, and when we come through that process we will be a much better side. The irony being we will probably batter them at our place in the league. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CUJimmy said:

There seems to be a suggestion  that they looked at the wrong incident but I can’t see anyone coming out and admitting that.

I've read that (on the Mercury and Guardian comments, so possibly the same person) and I don't think it's the case.

 

It's true that the initial TV replays showed a later incident but the VAR replays showed the correct one. Which incident the VAR bods reviewed, well, who can say but you'd kinda hope they looked at the first incident, the Nakamba one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Every game is defined by small margins.
 

It’s that 1% difference the elite sportspeople and sports teams strive to get. That’s what sets them apart from others. That’s what makes them champions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing we really missed yesterday was Praet consistently presenting himself as an option for the pass, something Maddison and Tielemans don't do nearly as often.  Too many times Evans and Soyuncu were left dribbling the ball almost to the halfway line with no one seemingly interesting in being available for a pass, forcing them to hoof it over the top.

Edited by Deeg67
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Deeg67 said:

One thing we really missed yesterday was Praet consistently presenting himself as an option for the pass, something Maddison and Tielemans don't do nearly as often.  Too many times Evans and Soyuncu were left dribbling the ball almost to the halfway line with no one seemingly interesting in being available for a pass, forcing them to hood it over the top.

Our midfield needs to get better at providing passing angles for the back 4. One of our biggest Achilles heels is our inability to beat a sustained high press.

 

Only other option is the Liverpool style quick switch of play between full backs, but Chilwell and Ricardo aren't good enough ball strikers to do that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, martyn said:

Our midfield needs to get better at providing passing angles for the back 4. One of our biggest Achilles heels is our inability to beat a sustained high press.

 

Only other option is the Liverpool style quick switch of play between full backs, but Chilwell and Ricardo aren't good enough ball strikers to do that.

Exactly this mate great post we can't deal with the high press and Liverpool and Man city have shown other teams how to deal with us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were the better team and they got lucky.  I don't know where 4 minutes stoppage time came from - I reckon it should only have been about 2 minutes, in which case we'd have gone to penalties and probably won.

The penalty shout was strange.  They seemed to show 2 replay clips on TV.  The first one wasn't a handball and the second one was, so I wonder if the wrong bit of play was analysed.  Weird.

Anyway, Villa will have a long journey to Wembley then watch their team get spanked by Man City and have all that nasty traffic going home again.  I don't envy them that!

Link to post
Share on other sites

All a mess and we should have won .

But wilf had an awful lot to do last night and ricardo going forward left us very exposed on the left where they did most of their good work.Ran out of energy a bit and struggled to get the ball out into midfield at times.

Re two goals first one started when Chilly came out second best in a scrappy high ball situation ,ball broke to them  and it did look like kasper could have done better.

Second goal I saw coming when the lad got the ball Gray was quite close to him but for some reason(he may have though the danger was down the wing) he backed off gave the lad time to take a few steps and looked up picked his pass.

Tough night but they should be raging  for Chelsea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chapero82 said:

Can I just say when I post we won’t score during a match thread, I’m not being pessimistic the reason I do it is because when I do say it we normally score a few minutes later, it’s a superstition of mine so please ignore it lol 

Why on earth didn't you do it a bit more yesterday then? :nigel:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...