Jump to content
Steven

How modern football became broken beyond repair

Recommended Posts

For me the likes of Claridge and that era was how great football used to be when he played for us under O'Neill compared to how it has become now - a money making monopoly to suit the rich few - despite all what we've achieved since the aforementioned days! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

bollocks

 

you sound like one of those people who say "well i'm not doing anything illegal so i don't have to worry" as our liberties are eroded in the name of "security"

Well that made sense (to two of you).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/02/2020 at 11:35, davieG said:

Yes the overseas revenue. I guess if we qualify for the CL they'll feel justified.

 

The only real chance of breaking into the top 6 in a serious way will be to qualify for the CL at least 2 years on the trot, the 2nd Year is always the killer because you need massive resources to compete in 4 competitions and maintain a top 4 position, bear in mind also that if we're in the CL then there's at least 3 big 6 teams that are not and so they are in a better position to challenge for a top 4 place that 2nd season.

 

 

Would it also be the case that we can't spend any money earned for playing in the Champions League until summer 2021 or we'd be in breach of FFP? So significantly strengthening the squad for CL football can't happen until we've already played in the competition, by which time we're potentially not playing CL football in 2021/22 because we didn't have a deep enough squad to compete in Europe and the Premier League in 2020/21?

 

Or have I misunderstood that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Excessive money broke football. It made players think that they are Gods who can act like spoilt children, it made teams cheat in order to bring more in, it removed some fans from the stadiums. Money is the root of the problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/02/2020 at 12:13, Pliskin said:

We fell in love with a bunch of iconic chaps who often went on the piss after a match. We fell in love with the clanking of the filbert street turnstiles, the over sized fox leisure kits, when footballers were balding northerners like Shearer, and Brazil were the only thing allowed to show boat, and tackles were late and hard. 

 

Football has been dying since those with no interest in the sport started investing in it, kids are coming through the ranks playing on pristine surfaces wearing £200 boots, there no fight, no battle anymore which is what makes Vardy a modern day legend considering his background.... bring back mitre boots and the magic sponge. 

Be honest with yourself. You’re getting older and believe everything was better when you were young. The mind filters out the bad memories and leaves us with warm tinted good ones but don’t be fooled.

You may have been happier back then, but that’s not the same as football being better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/02/2020 at 15:54, Guy said:

For me the likes of Claridge and that era was how great football used to be when he played for us under O'Neill compared to how it has become now - a money making monopoly to suit the rich few - despite all what we've achieved since the aforementioned days! 

Oh those good old days when Man Utd and Chelsea outspent everyone instead of Man City. It wasn’t much different my friend and I’m fact smaller clubs are finishing higher up the idea in recent years.

But you were young, less weary or cynical back then and now you’ve seen it all before and a less wide eyed.

Edited by Mr Weller
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Would it also be the case that we can't spend any money earned for playing in the Champions League until summer 2021 or we'd be in breach of FFP? So significantly strengthening the squad for CL football can't happen until we've already played in the competition, by which time we're potentially not playing CL football in 2021/22 because we didn't have a deep enough squad to compete in Europe and the Premier League in 2020/21?

 

Or have I misunderstood that?

Sounds about right.

 

Whilst our domestic Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules were designed with some good intentions.  ie trying to make sure the likes Hereford Utd, Aldershot, Darlington, Bury etc (or anyone else for that matter) don't bankrupt themselves.

 

I think the UEFA so-called FFP rules are just there to protect their rich closed-shop elite.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Football is more popular than at any time since the post war boom. The English Premier League is the most successful and entertaining in the world. Grounds are safer and more family friendly and relative to wages ticket prices have fallen in the last 10 years.

As for Leicester, the club is easily the strongest and most successful it’s ever been. The O Neil era was great at the time because it was the first properly successful period since the early 60s but taken overall, the team is now far better and Claridge would be the first to admit it.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

It all changed when Gazza started crying in 1990. The girls loved it and the marketing men loved it even more.

 

This is when they realised football could appeal to the whole family and they started to repackage it as mainstream entertainment. Everything else has followed from that.

Edited by PaddyS
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

Football is more popular than at any time since the post war boom. The English Premier League is the most successful and entertaining in the world. Grounds are safer and more family friendly and relative to wages ticket prices have fallen in the last 10 years.

As for Leicester, the club is easily the strongest and most successful it’s ever been. The O Neil era was great at the time because it was the first properly successful period since the early 60s but taken overall, the team is now far better and Claridge would be the first to admit it.

I wouldn't deny that modern football is theoretically more popular, richer, safer, faster, skilful, cleaner, nice shiny seats and perfect pitches, and every other so-called positive adjective you can think of?

 

But is it more enjoyable? more fun?  better?      I'm not so sure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2020 at 08:24, Mr Weller said:

Oh those good old days when Man Utd and Chelsea outspent everyone instead of Man City. It wasn’t much different my friend and I’m fact smaller clubs are finishing higher up the idea in recent years.

But you were young, less weary or cynical back then and now you’ve seen it all before and a less wide eyed.

Not really, I suppose it's all more polished and professional nowadays for us - certainly when compared to our more 'journeyman' orientated  teams doing well and upsetting the odds - such as we truly were when under Martin O'Neill in the mid 90s-2000! Halcyon days :-) That said, I agree that the hierarchy has changed very little in the short 20-25 years since then. I was late 20s-early 30s age during the O'Neill era which was young I guess!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2020 at 09:56, SemperEadem said:

Think I only have a year or two left at it for me. Year on year getting priced out.

Our season ticket prices have remained the same for years now. If paid for monthly over the year I think they are very reasonable compared to some other clubs or some other forms of entertainment. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Our season ticket prices have remained the same for years now. If paid for monthly over the year I think they are very reasonable compared to some other clubs or some other forms of entertainment. 

 

 

Pornhub?

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2020 at 09:56, SemperEadem said:

Think I only have a year or two left at it for me. Year on year getting priced out.


Is the price of football going up year on year? Or are your financial priorities changing? 
 

Away tickets (for example) are affordable. Travel prices aren’t anything to do with football. 
 

Season tickets have been frozen for a few year and general sale tickets aren’t extortionate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:


Is the price of football going up year on year? Or are your financial priorities changing? 
 

Away tickets (for example) are affordable. Travel prices aren’t anything to do with football. 
 

Season tickets have been frozen for a few year and general sale tickets aren’t extortionate. 

I disagree with you here.

 

Yes maybe it's the other factors that come with the day that really hit me hard, mainly the price of travel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

I disagree with you here.

 

Yes maybe it's the other factors that come with the day that really hit me hard, mainly the price of travel.


I do agree with you that it can be an expensive day. I have to travel to home and away games when I can get a ticket and go (work depending). I always make a day of it and go out before and after, sometimes stay over if it’s Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool. Ends up costing a fair bit but I can’t blame modern football for that. 
 

I won’t disagree on home tickets either, I’m lucky enough to be able to get hold of unwanted season tickets for the odd game at around face value. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2020 at 08:35, PaddyS said:

It all changed when Gazza started crying in 1990. The girls loved it and the marketing men loved it even more.

 

This is when they realised football could appeal to the whole family and they started to repackage it as mainstream entertainment. Everything else has followed from that.

The above comment re - Gazza may be tongue in cheek but is not far from the truth. The 1990 World cup, even though we were crap until the later stages,changed the average non football supporters attitude to the game, this coupled with the inevitable introduction of all seater stadiums in the wake of Hillsborough & obviously the advent of Sky TV.

The law changes in the 1994 World cup leading to mass yellow cards for the first time led to less fouling & more diving/cheating the ref which has never gone away.

By the time Baddiel & Skinner appeared in Euro 1996, when England were in truth, far better than in 1990, football was on a corporate incline.

We now have a situation where post match debate can often be more about the failings of technology than the merits & excitement of the game.

 

But I still love it. No matter how much the game changes, nothing can take away the passion & pure joy of watching football & from a Leicester fans point of view the events of the past few years outweighs anything the football bureaucrats have done to change the game we love.

Edited by boots60
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/02/2020 at 07:33, Markyblue said:

Yea, the beatles, the stones , the who , motown verses x factor manufacturerd crap tough call.

Motown was also manufactured. But granted, it was incredibly good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...