Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Wolves 0-0 Leicester post match thread.

Recommended Posts

I didn't see the game, but I do know form has been patchy. 

 

I think a good way to look at this is that every match is more experience, more in the bank, mistakes made and (hopefully) learnt from. It's no use expecting the finished article - that rarely ever happens. What Liverpool are doing is the exception, not the rule. 

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

 But we didn’t double up on him effectively because we were down to ten men ....so he was often left one on one with Ben ..... I’m sure that Harvey would like to be left 1 v 1, attack after attack .......

 

and he isn’t 6’6” ?

Eh. My point is that we don’t need wingers until we have players who can get on the end of a ball from the wing. It’s not exactly vardys main strength is it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Eh. My point is that we don’t need wingers until we have players who can get on the end of a ball from the wing. It’s not exactly vardys main strength is it.

It's very hard to be successful without having Wingers. That's where the space and chances are created as well as scoring goals. 

The problem we have is we don't have anyone with the exception of Harvey who is willing to go past defenders . He's still only learning his craft so I wouldn't want to blame him for anything.

We have the same problem in Midfield with none of the current players willing to commit defenders  by sucking them into a challenge. I think this might be Brendans instructions given that we

don't have the speed or  cover behind them. So instead of going forward they play sideways or backwards.

It's hard to blame Brendan also because you can only work with the squad you have and he's only had one window. This Summer will be a huge window both for us in the Transfer Market.

With the points in the bag I think we may well limp over the line into Europe as I feel we may struggle from now until the end of season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

It's very hard to be successful without having Wingers. That's where the space and chances are created as well as scoring goals. 

The problem we have is we don't have anyone with the exception of Harvey who is willing to go past defenders . He's still only learning his craft so I wouldn't want to blame him for anything.

We have the same problem in Midfield with none of the current players willing to commit defenders  by sucking them into a challenge. I think this might be Brendans instructions given that we

don't have the speed or  cover behind them. So instead of going forward they play sideways or backwards.

It's hard to blame Brendan also because you can only work with the squad you have and he's only had one window. This Summer will be a huge window both for us in the Transfer Market.

With the points in the bag I think we may well limp over the line into Europe as I feel we may struggle from now until the end of season.

.. he has had two windows!! 

He had the summer and January window and at no time gave the impression that a winger was part of his plans. 

 Do not be surprised if we go through next summer hoping for a winger and get another centre half. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/02/2020 at 23:24, Fosse93 said:

You want 'reasoned argument'? OK. 

 

Wolves have scored in EVERY home match this season, they didn't tonight. 

 

But yeah, your right, what a crap performance. 

 

Seriously, do you realise how well we're doing this season? How can you be unhappy at 3rd in the league with 12 games to go. Please let me know. Cheers. 

Yes I do realise how well we are doing this season. That doesn't preclude me from having an opinion on one particular game though does it? I just don't get your aggression?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there's too many people on here being too harsh.

 

In the run up to the game, we would have all taken a draw.  We got a draw.  In terms of the result we got exactly what was needed.  We played cautiously, most likely under the Rodgers instruction, conservative in the approach.  Likewise, they weren't particularly attacking either so a stalemate was played out.  

 

Ndidi is missing.  Without him we do not have the licence to go out and attack teams more, do that and we'll most likely concede.  

 

I seem to remember in 2015 teams had sussed us out in the second half of the season and results were a little harder to achieve.  The same can be said this season, we will just need to battle our way over the line.  We will do it, I'm sure of it.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. he has had two windows!! 

He had the summer and January window and at no time gave the impression that a winger was part of his plans. 

 Do not be surprised if we go through next summer hoping for a winger and get another centre half. 

Yes agreed he's had two Windows, But the problem has been the fringe players that haven't been moved on. We can't make big money signing until we off load some of the fringe players.

like Slimani, Silva Mendy etc. Only King has left. I expect a proper clear out in the Summer maybe 6 or 7 leaving. Then I think he will bring in 4 or 5 players. a Winger a Striker a midfielder and a full back..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only side to have knocked them over at home this season was Chelsea. Spurs sh1thoused an underserved 2-1. Liverpool scored a late winner and Man City gave up a 2 goal lead with ten men.  Whilst we were 11 v 11 on Friday night, the game was fairly balanced.  Those thinking this was a poor outcome will also be disappointed with anything less than a win on Saturday ...... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Yes agreed he's had two Windows, But the problem has been the fringe players that haven't been moved on. We can't make big money signing until we off load some of the fringe players.

like Slimani, Silva Mendy etc. Only King has left. I expect a proper clear out in the Summer maybe 6 or 7 leaving. Then I think he will bring in 4 or 5 players. a Winger a Striker a midfielder and a full back..

.. you really believe all this comes down to lack of funds!!! 

  I am sure most of the existing contracts will still be in force and the players are unwilling to leave, unless we pay them up  or they leave, for a similar deal elsewhere. 

 Silva and Slimani are at Monaco and I can't see either being taken on, as Monaco lacks the finance, to take them off our hands. 

  The players you envisage we will be looking to bring in, aren't the players that Rodgers' will be pursuing. He is very much looking on the lines of Liverpool and looking for players not in the traditional sense, in respect of designated positions. Players who can play across the front line, much more utitiity as opposed to outright wingers. 

  Just standing back and looking at what we perceive the players we need should be, I totally agree with you, but the kind of players we want are not the ones we are going to get, as it is contrary to the team Rodgers' envisage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. you really believe all this comes down to lack of funds!!! 

  I am sure most of the existing contracts will still be in force and the players are unwilling to leave, unless we pay them up  or they leave, for a similar deal elsewhere. 

 Silva and Slimani are at Monaco and I can't see either being taken on, as Monaco lacks the finance, to take them off our hands. 

  The players you envisage we will be looking to bring in, aren't the players that Rodgers' will be pursuing. He is very much looking on the lines of Liverpool and looking for players not in the traditional sense, in respect of designated positions. Players who can play across the front line, much more utitiity as opposed to outright wingers. 

  Just standing back and looking at what we perceive the players we need should be, I totally agree with you, but the kind of players we want are not the ones we are going to get, as it is contrary to the team Rodgers' envisage. 

Not funds but a combination of things. We all know the club are in a healthy place financially. Firstly, We can only have 25 senior players in the squad. We also have to operate witnin Financial fair play limits. While the fringe players are still here they obviously effect our ability to operate within  the constraints.  Moving players out both improves funds with contracts terminated while creating spaces in the Squad for new faces. It's all a balancing act .

As to the players BR will be after. Yes I agree they will have to be somewhat versatile. Certainly the forward players will have to be able to adapt to different styles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/02/2020 at 09:21, Steve Earle said:

I’m not a moaner - we’re third in the league! - but some of our failings are pretty deep seated and seem well known to our opponents. Last night we had the usual from Kasper: at least one pass per game is a potential or actual disaster; he’s shockingly bad on crosses, even in the six yard box. But his shotstopping is outstanding and of course he’s a legend!

 

Chilwell must be told time and time again to do more to stop crosses coming in. He isn’t doing more; he’s not learning. It’s cost us a few goals already this season (Burnley home springs to mind) and could have cost us yesterday.

 

Perez has wonderful feet & he can finish. Last few games he’s been excellent, but not last night. He’s too easily knocked off the ball, and too often in our last third when opponents press high.

 

Tielemans is half the player he was before the manic December fixture list seemed to suck all the energy out of him. He’s now one paced, and not mobile enough. The winter break could have fixed that, but on last night’s evidence, hasn’t.

 

Last & possibly the most serious is our use of at least partial zonal marking at set pieces. It was December 8 when we first conceded from a set piece this season, the best record in the league. Now we look like conceding off every one. Playing Leicester? Chuck your corners to where Chilwell, Maddison, Barnes or Choudhury are, get your best headers on a run into that space & bingo! Last night we somehow managed to gift their best finisher a completely free header in stoppage time from about 8 yards. It could, arguably should, have cost us a point. It will another day.

 

Brendan made a rod for his own back saying that his teams usually play better in the second half of seasons. We’re playing worse, there’s no getting away from that.

 

Good job we only have (convicted cheats & PL champions) Man C next...

 

PS - I’m looking forward to another European tour! Dilly ding!

Could not agree more. By Rodgers own words we should be getter better organized playing week in week out with the same starting 11. Sorry I don't see it. I can see we are getting worse and Rodgers does not seem to be trying anything new. I understand he may be waiting for this summer to buy a few new players to bolster a the methods he wants to play but right now is doing nothing. It is the same slow side to side football out to Chilly & Ricky who are being double teamed. Also our midfielders are not finding any space for the defenders to pass to. Vard's is getting no service whatsoever. I have said earlier 12 points from the last 10 games is not Top 3-4 form. Yes we are 3rd in the league but a couple of teams could easily go on a run and don't put money on Man City not winning their appeal regarding Champions League. A win by Chelsea tonight over Man Utd then what the gap will be 6 points. With what 12 games to go and at our current form will be an additional 12 points. Could be dangerous

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

Could not agree more. By Rodgers own words we should be getter better organized playing week in week out with the same starting 11. Sorry I don't see it. I can see we are getting worse and Rodgers does not seem to be trying anything new. I understand he may be waiting for this summer to buy a few new players to bolster a the methods he wants to play but right now is doing nothing. It is the same slow side to side football out to Chilly & Ricky who are being double teamed. Also our midfielders are not finding any space for the defenders to pass to. Vard's is getting no service whatsoever. I have said earlier 12 points from the last 10 games is not Top 3-4 form. Yes we are 3rd in the league but a couple of teams could easily go on a run and don't put money on Man City not winning their appeal regarding Champions League. A win by Chelsea tonight over Man Utd then what the gap will be 6 points. With what 12 games to go and at our current form will be an additional 12 points. Could be dangerous

 

Man City will be getting a points deduction at minimum and relegation from the prem at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MPH said:

 

Man City will be getting a points deduction at minimum and relegation from the prem at best.

No they won’t ........

 

at minimum they will be getting nothing - and the likelihood of anything happening this season is minuscule anyway 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

No they won’t ........

 

at minimum they will be getting nothing - and the likelihood of anything happening this season is minuscule anyway 

 

 

 

they are fast tracking the appeal so all decisions will be final before entrants are decided for next years champions league... which will also make it easier for a points deduction to be handed out with limited chance of an appeal against it being successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MPH said:

 

 

they are fast tracking the appeal so all decisions will be final before entrants are decided for next years champions league... which will also make it easier for a points deduction to be handed out with limited chance of an appeal against it being successful.

the premier league wont start any action (if at all)  until after CAS have adjudicated ….. it simply cant happen this season unless there isn't any appeal ……..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone else think as they were dozing  off as Wolves had 11 players in their own half for most of the game, wouldn’t it be surreal if we’d all suddenly trotted back to   10 yards inside our half, leaving the ball in the centre circle?  

Might have raised a chuckle on BT sport ( although Steve M wouldn’t get the joke) and motd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/02/2020 at 11:06, Always Next Year said:

Stop crying Wolves offside is offside would you be complaining about AVR had it been the other way round. Don’t think so.

We have had it go against us, some you win some you loose and VAR got it right again and life goes on.

... I am sure I would be crying if it was the other way around!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seem to be an extraordinary amount of draws this season Wolves and Arsenal 25 between them. Suggests that defences are dominating play. I think you need a plan B and C to break through convincingly, so same old, same old won't get enough victories . Somehow we need to get an element of surprise into our play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Seem to be an extraordinary amount of draws this season Wolves and Arsenal 25 between them. Suggests that defences are dominating play. I think you need a plan B and C to break through convincingly, so same old, same old won't get enough victories . Somehow we need to get an element of surprise into our play.

That’s because of the way they set up. Defensively, to soak it up and hit you on the break. The conversion rate for most teams isn’t ever very high for counters which is why they’ve had lots of draws. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...