Collymore

Slimani - Get him back in

I don't think anyone can doubt that Slimani has quality. The issue is, his performances and body language seem to suggest that he has no interest in playing here and probably isn't cut out for English football - Much like Kramaric.

The only reason he is being kept until January is likely because (a) no one has come forward willing to match his wage demands and (b) we are desperate because the club failed to buy a striker despite the clear necessity for one.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, adejo92 said:

I don't think anyone can doubt that Slimani has quality. The issue is, his performances and body language seem to suggest that he has no interest in playing here and probably isn't cut out for English football - Much like Kramaric.

The only reason he is being kept until January is likely because (a) no one has come forward willing to match his wage demands and (b) we are desperate because the club failed to buy a striker despite the clear necessity for one.

I dont think we failed to sign a striker, we never seemed like we were actually after a striker. I'm pretty sure Rodgers said a bit back that a striker wasn't a priority and he wanted defenders and a winger. Reckon he would have liked an extra midfielder and another quality winger but I really don't think we wanted a striker this window. Very difficult to get a top striker while Vardy is still the main man. Maybe next summer we may spend big on a striker.

• Like 2

Those comments by Rodgers hardly scream of someone desperate to play him and delighted he's staying- he didn't move so no point just having him turn up for training and heading nowhere.

Yes, he's an option but still well down the pecking order. I doubt he'll have a major impact.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Slim was never THAT bad though, particularly as he was played in his strongest position maybe once. His loan at Monaco shows he can still do a job.

I reckon if he smiled more people on here would love him.

And what exactly did his loan at Newcastle and Fenerbache show?

Even the folks at Monaco apparently did not want to keep him. Time to bin and move on.

He’s effective, his goals and assists per 90 minutes are surprisingly very high. It’s just that he’s technically shit and seems like he’s not popular amongst the squad. I do feel like he’d make a good partnership with Iheanacho and if we’re playing a 3412 with our second string it’d suit  Perez as well. 

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 3

With less than 9 months to go on a 5 year contract we might as well see it through to the bitter end now. Especially as we need the depth at the striker position, what with Vardy becoming increasingly gimpy and Rodgers still determined to throw Nacho under the bus for the Bournemouth defeat. I can think of worse 3rd choice strikers to have.

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

... Rodgers still determined to throw Nacho under the bus for the Bournemouth defeat....

Do you really believe this to be the case? My memory of the Bournemouth match - but I may be having a memory glitch - is that we were all over them in the first half but missed chances, then Rodgers brought off Iheanacho and our game fell apart.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Captain... said:

It's a bit of a no brainer for Rodgers, we can't shift a player who has qualities we lack up front. No point freezing him out. Whether he plays much or not we'll see, need to be careful not to piss Nacho off any more. He's struggled a bit here and to have Slim come in ahead of him could be the last straw. Even as a plan B. Throwing Slim on when we need a goal against a team that is frustrating us gives us an aerial presence, which we normally lack, makes sense, but if Kelechi gets even less game time as a result that could be the end of Nacho. Then if Slim and Nacho go at the end of the season we are relying even more on old man Vardy.

If that’s how you overthink simple things, I’d definitely never get up in the morning if I were you! 🤨

The way I see it, Vardy can't play every game. The games he doesn't play through being rested/banned/injured I'd much rather have the option of Iheanacho and/or Slimani than just Iheanacho. Perez can play through the middle but if he is down to lead our line then we've very serious trouble, neither quick enough or strong enough up there.

• Like 2

We know we didn’t have funds for a striker him in as third choice Makes sense. He probably getA minutes on the games after a europa game as vardy no doubt be rested And kelechi will start. 

not his biggest fan but as a 3rd choice you can’t complain too much! 

my one thought was if he plays/scores a certain amount more do we owe sporting any instalments? I have a feeling that was the case with Silva too?

Annoyingly I think a lot of us expected to get a player of quite similar ilk to Jimenez at Wolves when we signed Slimani; strong, good in the air and aggressive - ironically Slimani's goalscoring record in Portugal is far superior to the aforementioned. I think the game against Burnley where he was exactly that gave reason to believe he would produce the goods on a long term basis. The changing of managers, alongside Vardy's seemingly endless progression as a striker has left Slimani at the back of the queue - something I would certainly rather side with as opposed to speculation that he's not got the right attitude/character for our team. Really, at this stage, where's the harm in trying him? If he's fit, he'll offer a different dimension that we simply haven't seen in our new system. Brendan might have his back to the wall in terms of Vardy's injuries, but the optimist in me wants to believe that Slimani will take his chance - even if it is to secure a decent move away at the end of the season.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

We know we didn’t have funds for a striker him in as third choice Makes sense. He probably getA minutes on the games after a europa game as vardy no doubt be rested And kelechi will start. 

not his biggest fan but as a 3rd choice you can’t complain too much! 

my one thought was if he plays/scores a certain amount more do we owe sporting any instalments? I have a feeling that was the case with Silva too?

Highly likely 

but it would seem that being unable to get him out the door and release some budget (which may have facilitated someone like king coming in) we have resigned ourselves to using him and paying some more dosh to SCP .....

3 hours ago, deep blue said:

Do you really believe this to be the case? My memory of the Bournemouth match - but I may be having a memory glitch - is that we were all over them in the first half but missed chances, then Rodgers brought off Iheanacho and our game fell apart.

Well, his appearances and minutes have dropped off ever since that game. Is there any other conclusion to be made, or am I misreading the situation?

14 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

I dont think we failed to sign a striker, we never seemed like we were actually after a striker. I'm pretty sure Rodgers said a bit back that a striker wasn't a priority and he wanted defenders and a winger. Reckon he would have liked an extra midfielder and another quality winger but I really don't think we wanted a striker this window. Very difficult to get a top striker while Vardy is still the main man. Maybe next summer we may spend big on a striker.

Should be easier to get a big name in when we've won the EL, Won the EPL, and the FA Cup. Thats the Big picture.