1 hour ago, reynard said:

I think there is an outside chance there will be no more football or major sports events this year. This virus isn't going to go anywhere fast and if Europe and the UK peaks in mid may to June that is the peak there is still a long way to go until sports could continue.

Seeing as governments have now realised that the only answer to this is to hunker down until a vaccine is found or areas can be forcefully made ‘virus free’, I can’t see any quick fixes.  I guess the answer will be to review in a few weeks (one big  issue is player contracts that expire end may - clubs won’t simply accept to extend with no income themselves  ) 

6 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

I know this thread is supposed to keep people’s chins up,give everyone something to talk about etc.However unless a vaccine is invented ASAP. Football is going to look very different in 12 months time.Just look at who owns the clubs.Who sponsors the shirts and stadiums.How Sky etc get their revenues.The whole thing is going to collapse like a pack of cards.

May be that Sky etc will soon rethink things now the 'product' they paid for is no longer available (and people stop paying for a service they're mo longer receiving). Clubs unlikely to refund so expect legal stand-offs.

Think this crisis will fundamentally change many things - the way we look at the world, not just football and sport - and just perhaps the financial imperatives that have taken our game away from so many of our people may considerably loosen.

It will be odd. It will be different. But it might not be all bad.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Wow I didn't realise that many Premier league teams were back in training today. 

They have to stay fit .......

there is no reason that, come early/mid April, if there are no live cases within squads/staff (and that’s actually  feasible now that we are socially distancing) that behind closed doors games could begin soon after........ Don’t assume that these games would take place at the home ground either - games could be concentrated in an area away from built up areas. I doubt any options would be off the table. 

don’t underestimate what possible legal challenge to clubs’ income may do to the will of the PL and clubs ....

.sky/BT will want to see that they have a viable product for next season .......

• Like 2

Sky can’t lose....firstly you subscribe to Sky Sports, not what is on it. So live games will come back at some point but if anybody wants to they can cancel their subscription. If you do expect the price to go up considerably should you choose to renew, understandably. 
 Under normal circumstances,are we getting more matches now than ever before, probably, are we paying more for it, probably not?

When live football does return to the tv, it would surprise me if there are not more games....if it is behind closed doors expect every game to be televised....worth thinking about....

oh and TV contributes hugely to the club we all support

Certainly doesnt apply to the UK, but we have just been advised that a huge annual event that was scheduled for August has been cancelled for this year.... with the line from the organisers saying they have been warned to expect restrictions on gatherings of more than 500 people for at LEAST 6 months.

We are heading into winter so maybe extra precautions....but wow.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

there is no reason that, come early/mid April, if there are no live cases within squads/staff (and that’s actually  feasible now that we are socially distancing) that behind closed doors games could begin soon after........ Don’t assume that these games would take place at the home ground either - games could be concentrated in an area away from built up areas. I doubt any options would be off the table. 

don’t underestimate what possible legal challenge to clubs’ income may do to the will of the PL and clubs ....

.sky/BT will want to see that they have a viable product for next season .......

I didn't really think of this, I wonder if they would even consider playing matches at a clubs training ground if they were seen as a safer option and in a less built up area.

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Certainly doesnt apply to the UK, but we have just been advised that a huge annual event that was scheduled for August has been cancelled for this year.... with the line from the organisers saying they have been warned to expect restrictions on gatherings of more than 500 people for at LEAST 6 months.

We are heading into winter so maybe extra precautions....but wow.

Which event @ozleicester, apologies if the answer is obvious, so much news every day I’m struggling to keep up with what’s happening.

10 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Which event @ozleicester, apologies if the answer is obvious, so much news every day I’m struggling to keep up with what’s happening.

No worries...Its not obvious :) its big in rural WA... its the Dowerin Field days... takes place late August every year for last100 years... emailed today to say they have been told the restrictions will stay in place for more than 6 months

• Sad 1

I suppose the planned Tar and Feathering of David Coote in the grounds of Stockley Park in Mid-July will now be cancelled now?

4 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

No worries...Its not obvious :) its big in rural WA... its the Dowerin Field days... takes place late August every year for last100 years... emailed today to say they have been told the restrictions will stay in place for more than 6 months

They might, they might not, but no one is going to put their money into an event while they don't know.

4 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I can't see us making the move this year now, I am not going to quit my job to move to a recession hit Perth :(

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

I can't see us making the move this year now, I am not going to quit my job to move to a recession hit Perth :(

everywhere is going to be recession hit...

Have you bought a house yet?....Apparently prices are currently back where they were in 2005... im guessing a few more months and youll be able to live even higher on the hog :)

36 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

everywhere is going to be recession hit...

Have you bought a house yet?....Apparently prices are currently back where they were in 2005... im guessing a few more months and youll be able to live even higher on the hog :)

Yes, but I have a job here!  No we still haven't sold in the UK.

55 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Wow,6 months!!expected until maybe june. 

That would mean no avon decent either then.

33 minutes ago, womp said:

Wow,6 months!!expected until maybe june. 

That would mean no avon decent either then.

Northam town have just cancelled the FLying Fifties... so the Decscent will be in trouble i think

13 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I think this is the most likely outcome. Money talks. And the Government will want a morale boost for the nation (which i for one will be desperate for).

Maybe they'll  play the matches in Covid-free China and broadcast them back to the UK...

Edited by Eamonn
typo

2 minutes ago, Eamonn said:

I think this is the most likely outcome. Money talks. And the Government will want a morale boost for the nation (which i for one will be desperate for).

Maybe they'll  play the matches in Covid-free China and broadcast them vack to the UK...

whilst China is largely free of new cases it’s daily life is still far from normal 

it does occur to me that if the tv companies threaten to pull £40m from each club in the event of non completion of this years league competition, the top six could cope with that better than the others and with 14 clubs needed to make a decision, some of the top six together with those clubs in the relegation fight could frustrate the will of the PL and the majority of clubs.  why would some of those top six clubs want to lose £40m ?  Well some may judge that uefa would rule that they have a chance of CL qualification if the league is abandoned and others that clubs like us would have to accept a lower bid on an in demand player with a £40m hole in our finances .....

Let's be real, the season is done. Finito. Over.

There's no way they're going to be able to justify playing the remaining games over the summer, considering they've cancelled the Euros over the same time period.

My hope is that the club can organise a few friendlies behind closed doors to maintain squad sharpness, and reconvene for pre-season when (presumably) the threat has died down a bit in the summer.

It would be nice to ease back into games in front of crowds with something light-hearted where we can just show our appreciation and relief that football is even back - for example, I can't think of a better opportunity for that Andy King testimonial than at the start of pre-season next year, before he inevitably moves on. Could have proceeds going towards charities or something that would benefit from it, especially medical ones currently working their arses off to keep people safe, or food banks keeping people fed while morons clear the shelves.

Edited by OntarioFox