jammie82uk

Xbox or PlayStation

Looking for advice 

I haven’t brought a console since buying an Xbox 360 new, is it worth buying either one? I see there is different models of each one, which model is best? 
I do have a 4K tv if that makes any difference 

thanks in advance 

I have an Xbox One but in all honesty don't use it very much. Obviously the quality of it is excellent, would say that models are only differentiated on size and storage space, so which you buy depends on a) how many games you want to play on it and b) how often you'll be carting it about. 

From personal experience, there is little difference between Xbox and PlayStation, but I think PlayStation's online function is still free, whereas Xbox Live costs around £40 a year, which I find a bit of a pain tbh. 

Massively depends what games you want to play also. If you're only interested in playing arcade style games and having a bit of a laugh, you might as well stick with the 360. If you want to buy newer games it's worth getting one of the newer consoles. 

• Like 1

If you have the budget wait for the new XBOX or PS5.

The new XBOX will be the worlds most powerful console to date.

But if any of your mates game and you want it now? That particular console they play on

Edited by Ashley
  • Like 1

Don't own either (Switch and PC master race), but imo the Playstation has the more interesting console exclusives:  Spiderman, God of War, Last of Us, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne etc.

Xbox One offers Forza and about 10 Halo/Gears of War titles. That's not to say those aren't games that will seal it for a lot of people, if you're a big racing game fan or love your space marine shooters then the Xbox is absolutely the one to go for.

I'm less clear on the differences in online experience so I'll let those with firsthand experience advise you on that one.

• Like 1

If you want to play with your mates, get whatever they've got. If you're not bothered, look at the list of exclusive games for each console and see if you would prefer one over the other. Otherwise they're more or less the same.

The switch is a great option too, although a very different kind of gaming experience and the available games on the switch differs a bit more from the Xbox/Playstation.

• Like 1

As @Leicester_Loyal says, if you're into multiplayer, get whatever the majority of your friends have. 

If you don't like multiplayer much, like me, there's an argument that the PS4 has more single player-driven games.

Either way, don't spend a fortune and don't buy new. Go on FB marketplace and you can pick a 3 or 4 year old PS4 or Xbox One for less than £100.

Then wait until Christmas and get one of the new generation.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 2

Thank you everyone for your help, didn’t realise there was new ones coming later this year so will just get an second hand one till then 

It is possible that the new generation of consoles is pushed back until next year with the current global situation.

The new Xbox may be the more powerful machine, as it is currently, but the exclusives on PS4 have wiped the floor with Xbox this generation as the 360 did with the PS3 (until the very late stage at which point it was too late for the PS3) last generation.

Although very scarce on info at the moment, I see no reason to switch back to Microsoft once the new consoles are released.

For the game devs it's a tricky one, TLOU2 and Cyberpunk may well be put on hold.  Any news on these?

Looking for a game I can get stuck into without spending too much on the PS store. 

Assasins Creed Origins or Watchdogs 2?

Love Assasins Creed Black Flag but don't think I've played one since.

7 hours ago, pds said:

Looking for a game I can get stuck into without spending too much on the PS store. 

Get Odyssey if you can afford it. I know it's on sale at the moment, got the bundle edition for £25 last week. I've not played an AC game since Black Flag either, but Odessey is the best one since the Xbox 360 ones in my opinion. 25 hours in so far and I'm probably about a quarter of the way through, it's massive! Plus it has the pirate ship system that Black Flag had.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, pds said:

In terms of hours of gameplay, I platinumed Origins in around 75 hours, Watchdogs 2 in around 60 hours and Odyssey in around 95 hours.

Odyssey is the biggest game of the lot.  It'll cost more than the other two though.