6 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Just checked FIFA stats... rated 76 with a potential of 81. So all in all a bit of a meh signing 

That how you think Congerton does his research? :appl:

Edited by Simoken
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I love that the thread is filling up with about a hundred times more smug, self amused ***** pretending everyone's outraged than there is any actual outrage. 

Not everyone, Finners. Just the usual fault-finders before the fact. No smugness, just weary deflection.

1 minute ago, DerbyshireFox said:

‘Sign someone, anyone, don’t care who it is, just sign a player ffs’
C4F83676-59F4-4963-8B6F-DB25478059E4.gif.c49f341babf9cfd0aa93b728cae8a856.gif

Versatile Belgian international full back 1yr older than Chilwell, adept on either flank leaving us with money to potentially strengthen other areas

8B040F95-5C3C-4EB7-8B12-6AA983767597.gif.96e4331b412c974fa588030c349ad884.gif

No! We shouldn't be smug, self amused *****!

2 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Oh god I hope there isnt another "smile with thailand" advert made for this guy's announcement.

i bloody hope not! i considered supporting another club after watching it. It was that bad #SWADDIIII

Edited by Simoken
1 hour ago, murphy said:

I keep reading that this guy is 'solid' or 'versatile'.  Faint praise.

I was hoping for more than a steady Eddie.  There are players out there that could have replaced Chilwell and improved us.  Perhaps they wouldn't come,   

As it stands we go into the new season weakened.

Tbf they are great virtues in a defender. If you'd be talking about a striker then fair enough.

This is a good signing. Perhaps not the most exciting name but from a team/squad perspective, very good. Versatile, experienced and knows a fair few of our squad. The fact he can play (well) in a number of positions adds value to our squad which is very much needed. Not a bad start to the window. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

~£20mill isn't a bad bit of business. At 24 with the ability to develop more, still with option to sell for a profit in a few years should he develop. Gives us a solid player at both fullback positions. Decent signing.

I fear this is another "decent" signing.

Just like Praet at £18m and Perez at £30m. Like the other two the first XI will not be improved but we'll have better squad cover and all it has cost us is £66m. 

If we're planning on playing a back four for any length of time just go out and get the best left back you can rather than a bits and pieces player.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Gerard said:

I fear this is another "decent" signing.

Just like Praet at £18m and Perez at £30m. Like the other two the first XI will not be improved but we'll have better squad cover and all it has cost us is £66m. 

If we're planning on playing a back four for any length of time just go out and get the best left back you can rather than a bits and pieces player.

Exactly.

It's just going to be another signing that doesn't improve us and we'll either be selling for a loss or be lumbered with.

If you consistently sign players that don't improve the starting 11 then you won't improve.

• Like 1

I still think that we need a proper left footed left back. I don't like this idea of wide men playing on the wrong side as when they come to cross the ball they have to check back onto their stronger side thus slowing down play

2 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Here's a question for you: why do you care how much the guy cost?

No offence Beechey but this gets asked every time we sign someone and it really winds me up. That and "its not your money!" 

We have a finite budget, we're not Chelsea, we're not going to spend 200m. 

As fans we obviously don't know exactly what that budget is but you can look back through our recent transfer windows and get a rough idea of what we're likely to pay out and how it correlates to out going transfers. 

Clearly the more we spend on a player the less you can expect us to spend for the rest of the window.

• Like 2
Just now, AKCJ said:

Exactly.

It's just going to be another signing that doesn't improve us and we'll either be selling for a loss or be lumbered with.

If you consistently sign players that don't improve the starting 11 then you won't improve.

Castagne is better than Chilwell though? 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

No offence Beechey but this gets asked every time we sign someone and it really winds me up. That and "its not your money!" 

We have a finite budget, we're not Chelsea, we're not going to spend 200m. 

As fans we obviously don't know exactly what that budget is but you can look back through our recent transfer windows and get a rough idea of what we're likely to pay out and how it correlates to out going transfers. 

Clearly the more we spend on a player the less you can expect us to spend for the rest of the window.

It was a leading question so I could say this

So my point is even if the up front cost is high, the total cost relative to our position a few weeks ago has barely changed.

Edited by Beechey
1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Shhh you can’t say that on here, people can’t seem to comprehend us playing anything other than 433 which means he must be playing as a straight up left back

We looked awesome playing 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 whatever you want to call it up until Christmas last year. We still have the same players apart from Chilwell at the club who looked a class above most PL teams.

I don't see why BR would want to change that as our stock formation as it appears to be change for change sake. My opinion is we should stick with 4-1-4-1 as our stock formation and should have bought a LB to suit.