Castagne's comments about us:

"It has always been my dream to play in the Premier League. It was my priority league over other offers.

“I also like Leicester's style of play which should suit me. And the feeling with the manager is very good, he contacted me regularly."

Rodgers' working his charm...

JuicyHeftyArachnid-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Gerard said:

That's a weak argument attributing Praet and Perez for our 5th placed finish. 

i don't think either are bad players but we've bought players in their mid 20's who don't particularly improve the first XI. Neither is likely to improve and they cost a lot of money. Both Praet and Perez are signings I would have avoided and Castagne could well fall into that category.

I want to see my club sign bargains like Evans or take a chance on young and up and coming and we almost have the pick of the world market to do that. Praet, Perez and now Castagne is nice and safe and middle of the road. All you people out there who want to see us challenge for a CL spot then these type of signings don't cut it, they're steady Eddies.

We need to take risks and sign 21yo who are the best players at their clubs, not squad players in their mid 20's from Atalanta. 

Personally I will reserve judgment on a player until they have at least played for us.His game might be more suited to us.Pure guess work at this stage.

Salah was useless at Chelsea.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Gerard said:

i don't think either are bad players but we've bought players in their mid 20's who don't particularly improve the first XI. Neither is likely to improve and they cost a lot of money. Both Praet and Perez are signings I would have avoided and Castagne could well fall into that category.

I want to see my club sign bargains like Evans or take a chance on young and up and coming and we almost have the pick of the world market to do that. Praet, Perez and now Castagne is nice and safe and middle of the road. All you people out there who want to see us challenge for a CL spot then these type of signings don't cut it, they're steady Eddies.

We need to take risks and sign 21yo who are the best players at their clubs, not squad players in their mid 20's from Atalanta. 

I agree in large parts with you. But we aren't a club to risk signing all chiefs and no Indians. 

If we went entirely down the high risk / young player route, yes we'd have Maddison, Soyuncu and Wilf but also kaputska, kramaric,. Benkovic and be staring at relegation

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Ah I get it now.... a bit like Demarai Gray and Ryan Bennett  

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Regarding Goosens vs Castagne - Gosens is the better player offensively but Castagne is still very good. Gosens has just come off a dream season where he’s outperformed almost every other LB / LWB in Europe. In fact given that Atalanta went further than Liverpool this season you could argue he was the best this season. Hence the 40m fee that Atalanta want. 

When have Leicester ever signed a player at the peak of their career for big money? We aren’t that type of club - we generally try to find value in players to continue to build a squad that is getting stronger every season. With this signing we’ve got more in the kitty to spend on other players and it’s in the final third where need more quality!

If you follow this thread from the beginning it’s interesting to see what people thought about him, especially those who had seen Atalanta play. I must confess I saw him as more of a Ricardo replacement / rotation option than being Chilwell’s replacement, but here we are! No doubt he’ll cover both sides during the early part of his career here due to Ricardo’s injury which is not something Gosens or Taglliafico could do. 

That said - who knows maybe we will end up with one of the others too! If we want European competition every year we need a deeper squad so that when a player like Ricardo is injured we still have options. Whether it’s to play first team or to compete for a place, this is a good signing and I think we will see 2-3 similar ones; international players that are young, technical and experienced. 

My favourite poster nails it again! 

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Couldn’t agree more. Why the fuch are we signing players from the USA?  They don’t know what football is. Stupid move. Let’s castigate Castagne. Bloke if obviously shit. MAGA. 

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

I've got O level maths, but I can't make head nor tails out of these graphs.

If it goes past the black line in the segment, he’s better than Gosens. 

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

I'm just disappointed that there was a whole host of quality LB's available this window and we've signed a squad player from Atalanta. I was hoping for so much more.

I kind of agree, even though I rate Castagne from what I've seen of him and the fact both us as a club before Rodgers came were linked with him and so were Celtic when Rodgers and Congerton were still there. This has been a long term target for manager and club.

We are in a funny position in terms of left backs as the club see Thomas as the heir to the throne but with Ricardo almost certain to move next summer if we fail to get top 4 or win the EL then this signing makes sense. He is equally capable playing on the left or right. Got a good amount of goals and assists from various positions and is most importantly a very good defender.

Is he a standout improvement on our XI? Due to his versatility it might not seem obviously so, but I think he will be our best wing back on the left, more consistent and reliable than Chilwell and do a very good job at covering for Ricardo on the right. 

In regard to the fee, Atalanta are notoriously difficult to buy from and given he's a player we tried to sign last summer and come back for, its easy to see why they have negotiated well with us. I'd say a fair price would have been around £15m up front but as a PL club we get regularly tucked up.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Sly said:

I put this in the Perez /  Praet category. They’re good players but they won’t set the world alight. I’m still at a loss as why people rave about Praet, as I don’t see it. 

I think he’ll be solid but unspectacular. 

My concern is that we’ve got a player that can’t nail down a position like Amartey (where is he anyway). 

That's only because Gosens/Hateboer were quality all season.

Castagne will play much more regularly here than he did at Atalanta (even though he still played a lot there).

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Bargains like Evans aren’t always available and you can’t fill your squad with  young raw players. 

Let’s not forget our team contained 6 or 7 21/22 year olds last season. With the bench containing more.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, a squad needs a balance to it. 

4 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

A few seasons back some fans were bursting blood vessels tossing off over Nicky Maynard, we sign a versatile, experienced but young international and some people are moaning. 

He adds depth and like I said, I’m expecting solid but unspectacular from what I’ve seen of him. Admittedly, that’s not a huge amount. Saying that, Danny Simpson was in this category and he was great for us. 

Maybe this will allow Barnes more freedom offensively if he slots in on the left. 

We do still need to cover other areas out and it’s all gone quiet on that front.

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Bargains like Evans aren’t always available and you can’t fill your squad with  young raw players. 

Let’s not forget our team contained 6 or 7 21/22 year olds last season. With the bench containing more.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, a squad needs a balance to it. 

i'm not advocating just buying young players. 

Signing players for £20m+ in their mid 20's then they need to come in and make an impact. Praet and Perez have come in, mid 20's, £50m cost and neither have made the position their own. Castagne could well be another one, I'm probably being harsh on him but if he seems Atalanta's first reserve go to player, I was hoping for so much more considering the LB's that are available this window. 

• Like 2