Jump to content
Lambert09

City players you think have been underrated

Recommended Posts

Lots of names I agree with in here. Frank. Impey. Taggs. Guppy..

 

Two for me were

 

1. The Marsh. Popular but his ability was way way undervalued. A very clever (on the pitch!) striker who was both orthodox and unorthodox at the same time. His last minute winner at Anfield. His header at Derby. His 'grandpa' celebration away at Newcastle!

 

2. Brian Deane. A massive contribution to our promotion and some great goals. Too easily dismissed as a big long ball route one man. Two goals that stick for.me were Everton away and Sheff Utd

away (when big Trev Benjamin left three Sheff players nearly dead on the wing in the build up. Like scene from the Somme)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Absolutely, remember in particular a game away at WBA, where we played some of the best football I’d ever seen from us and were 3-0 up at half time. Taylor ran the show with Gary Parker that day and we played modern day Barcelona style possession football perfectly. - I may be remembering this over fondly but remember at half time thinking this could be 10 here the way we are playing. 

At the other end Kalac made a name for himself for the wrong reasons and dropped cross after cross and it finishes 3-2 but Taylor was magnificent that day.

I was there too and you're right, just before McGhee left IIRC. Kamark's debut too I think...

 

Had to do a bit of digging but found the highlights 34.35 - 36.08

 

3 quality goals and listen to Alan Parry describing "Leicester's lovely possession football" :D 

 

 

Edited by Izzy
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2020 at 06:27, Tuna said:

1) Billy McKinlay / Andy King.

2) Lloyd Dyer / Danny Simpson.

3) James Scowcroft / Matt Oakley.

Probably the winner of this section. 

 

Fans of other clubs always thought he was our weak link when all leicester fans knew anything towards his post would always get cleared. 

 

I just hope chilly has spent quarantine watching videos of some of his defending, because he was sensational at what is chillys biggest area of weakness. 

 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2020 at 01:37, Gordon the Great said:

Marc Albrighton.....when he plays well, we play well........somehow will never get the massive credit he thoroughly  desrves

watched the League winning season a couple of days ago.. his value especially in the first half of the season was immense

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2020 at 19:41, Poco said:

1) definitely Wellens, Drinkwater or Gallagher - all players that were reliant on others making good movement

2) Albrighton

3) Jimmy Willis - prone to an own goal or red card on occasion but I seem to remember (possibly unreliably) that he was one of our best performers in 94/95

Jimmy Willis had a bad start to his time here but I thought he became a good centre half fairly mobile and decent in the air. I was disappointed to see him go.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Matty James - would have played for England had injuries not ruined his career

2) Richie Wellens - the first good CM we had since the early 00s and became a whipping boy for no real reason

3) David Connolly - remember him being the only bright spark in a very poor team at that time

4) Jamie Scowcroft - awkward but effective

5) Yuki Abe - thought his ball retention under pressure really added something to our team at the time

6) Jeff Schlupp - When Pearson finally figured out how to use him, he was dynamite for a while.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

1) Matty James - would have played for England had injuries not ruined his career

2) Richie Wellens - the first good CM we had since the early 00s and became a whipping boy for no real reason

3) David Connolly - remember him being the only bright spark in a very poor team at that time

4) Jamie Scowcroft - awkward but effective

5) Yuki Abe - thought his ball retention under pressure really added something to our team at the time

6) Jeff Schlupp - When Pearson finally figured out how to use him, he was dynamite for a while.

Scowcroft was great in the air. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ozleicester said:

watched the League winning season a couple of days ago.. his value especially in the first half of the season was immense

That cross for the winner against Norwich :appl: We speak of the Leo penalty as a defining moment, but without that perfect moment things could have been different.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Scowcroft was great in the air. 

Had enough practice with Micky Adams' favourite tactic of hoofing goal-kicks out to Scowcroft on the wing to head across the pitch.

 

Agree with the shout on Connolly, completely wasted for about six months then we played to his stengths, he looked the part then we had to sell. A shame.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Probably the winner of this section. 

 

Fans of other clubs always thought he was our weak link when all leicester fans knew anything towards his post would always get cleared. 

 

I just hope chilly has spent quarantine watching videos of some of his defending, because he was sensational at what is chillys biggest area of weakness. 

 

Bit harsh. I actually think Chilwell mops up at the back post quite well.

 

And I may have imagined this, but I think chilwell has creditedSimpson with guidance on that type of last man defending

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gerard said:

When Klinsmann left that season he recommended Draper to Bayern Munich.

 

Sadly for Draper he never hit the heights in the rest of his career that he did with Leicester but he is one of the best players I've ever seen for us.  

He wanted to play for an Italian club like Barcelona, not Bayern. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to agree with Wellens and Gallagher.

 

Both were excellent for us for a couple of seasons when we reached the play-offs under Pearson and the following season.

 

Once we started wanting to push for automatic promotion they probably weren't quite consistent enough for that level.

 

But some fans seemed to turn on them so quickly and start calling them dreadful players for us which was very unfair.

 

They were both very good players for an upper-mid-table Championship side, but neither was quite consistent enough to be automatic promotion challenging players, that was all.

 

They were good servants to us and our fans seemed to quickly forget the absolute dirge of players we'd had in our midfield only 3 or 4 seasons prior to that who Gallagher and Wellens were both a massive upgrade on.

 

It was all a little weird and short-term-memory based at the time and still is.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Bit harsh. I actually think Chilwell mops up at the back post quite well.

 

And I may have imagined this, but I think chilwell has creditedSimpson with guidance on that type of last man defending

Really? He's cost us plenty of goals from not protecting this area. Im not even talking about times where he's been beaten to the ball, more times when he's completely out of position. Liverpools first goal in the drubbing being one example. 

 

I cant say im ever confident when a ball is whipped into his area. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2020 at 18:49, Izzy said:

I was there too and you're right, just before McGhee left IIRC. Kamark's debut too I think...

 

Had to do a bit of digging but found the highlights 34.35 - 36.08

 

3 quality goals and listen to Alan Parry describing "Leicester's lovely possession football" :D 

 

 

I don’t think this possession football they speak of, will catch on...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...