Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Collymore

Empty Stadium Disadvantage?

Recommended Posts

I was thinking this morning that behind close door games must suit teams that are struggling more than teams like ourselves where there is a buzz about the place.

 

Teams like Newcastle or team that are struggling might have players that dread the match day at home and this could affect the performance. 

 

Are we going to be disadvantaged more than others if we play in an empty stadium or am I over thinking here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have thought ,the size of the stadiums, you could probably put a few thousand fans in and keep social distancing. Not that they will ,obviously.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Home atmosphere's aren't exactly great are they. The buzz is usually created by the away fans (I'm not just talking at our ground either, I mean when we're away too, like I've said before when people slate our home atmosphere most home grounds, if not all now, are the same). The media go on about "Home advantage" but this hasn't been a thing for years either as more and more away games are won nowadays.

 

I think players will feel the difference, that's only natural, but I think this will be because of no fans (including the away fans) not just the home fans. I can't see it being an advantage or disadvantage.

Edited by Fox92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be fair to have just season ticket holders attend In all grounds. Of course they would have to keep to rules. I think we have roughly 20k season tickets sold so there is space to keep to regulations. 

 

I am not a season ticket holder that's not why I am suggesting this, just think at least with some fans in attendance there will be a better atmosphere, no clubs will have to give refunds for matches missed and players will have people to play in front of instead of feeling they are playing a training session.

 

Likely this is unfair to the home side, but then everyone has same allocations when playing at home. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Webbo said:

I would have thought ,the size of the stadiums, you could probably put a few thousand fans in and keep social distancing. Not that they will ,obviously.

I think doing this would risk people being idiots though (turning up without tickets etc). Maybe it could be part of a longer term plan but I wouldn't do it this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Unique FC said:

Would it be fair to have just season ticket holders attend In all grounds. Of course they would have to keep to rules. I think we have roughly 20k season tickets sold so there is space to keep to regulations. 

 

I am not a season ticket holder that's not why I am suggesting this, just think at least with some fans in attendance there will be a better atmosphere, no clubs will have to give refunds for matches missed and players will have people to play in front of instead of feeling they are playing a training session.

 

Likely this is unfair to the home side, but then everyone has same allocations when playing at home. 

There's definitely not space to keep to regulations. Average seat is about 50cm wide, so you would have to have one person with four/five seats gap before the next person, and then you'd have to have four seats infront too. If you staggered people you could probably have people every five seats on every second row, so if A has someone in and X has nobody in:

AXXXXXAXXXXXAXXXXXA

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXAXXXXXAXXXXXAXXX

 

That's one seat in 12 being used, so capacity would be about 2650. I think we have about 23000 season tickets.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone read our atmosphere thread…?

 

According to many the team will surely be flying without our dull lacklustre and generally ungrateful support…

 

shackles off !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Webbo said:

I would have thought ,the size of the stadiums, you could probably put a few thousand fans in and keep social distancing. Not that they will ,obviously.

Surely any relaxation in allowing some fans in will increase the chances of fans turning up outside with some trying to get in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how Vardy will get inspired (possessed) without a few thousand people slagging off his wife. Noone for him to troll either if he scores. Sad times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Houdini Logic said:

I don't know how Vardy will get inspired (possessed) without a few thousand people slagging off his wife. Noone for him to troll either if he scores. Sad times

Surely the club could play some abuse over the tannoy.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something will have to give unfortunately if we are to continue the season. Its better than not being able to continue the season at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

I don't know how Vardy will get inspired (possessed) without a few thousand people slagging off his wife. Noone for him to troll either if he scores. Sad times

He could always just cup his ears infront of the empty away section. A scene id love to see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t really get the argument that some clubs are putting forward about the neutral venues being a disadvantage to some clubs.

Yes, some of the lower teams have slightly more home games than away, but every club would have to play at a neutral venue, so every club will be in the same position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

I don't know how Vardy will get inspired (possessed) without a few thousand people slagging off his wife. Noone for him to troll either if he scores. Sad times

Can't we record something about Beckeh and get played over the PA when we need a goal? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

He could always just cup his ears infront of the empty away section. A scene id love to see

Definitely going to happen, going to start making burner twitter accounts to abuse him before games to rile him up

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will deffo help us, most of our players have looked scared to play a home game since about december when we turned rubbish. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

will deffo help us, most of our players have looked scared to play a home game since about december when we turned rubbish. 

Perhaps they were scared of the crowd.:P as there's surely a few in there they'd rather not turn up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some of our players perform better when not under any pressure so it may suit us with the games being behind closed doors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The stadiums don't necessarily have to be 'empty' per se, just closed to fans. One thing the could possibly do, in order to bring in money, is open the hospitality boxes for free for NHS staff and key workers only as a thank you, and getting major companies to sponsor the boxes to cover the cost. Wouldn't make much of an atmosphere but it would bring in a tiny bit of match day cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

The stadiums don't necessarily have to be 'empty' per se, just closed to fans. One thing the could possibly do, in order to bring in money, is open the hospitality boxes for free for NHS staff and key workers only as a thank you, and getting major companies to sponsor the boxes to cover the cost. Wouldn't make much of an atmosphere but it would bring in a tiny bit of match day cash.

I think they'd be blasted for making any money out of that idea, It would have to be the box owners giving up  their boxes so they would get the plaudits. Of course they'd have to justify no social distancing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest concern must be about the condition of players rather than the lack of atmosphere. We will be in serious danger of blowing our top 4 chances if they don't get their collective heads around this. An 8 point cushion isn't insurmountable. 

Edited by Spudulike
Can't spell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...