Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

 

The band of brothers culture didn't enable us to hold on to Kanté, even after we'd just won the league, though, so not sure that's enough on its own to keep players.

 

I also don't think you can compare us to Tottenham. I know people on here love to mock them but they are a historically big club now playing in probably the best stadium in the league in one of the world's greatest cities. That's way more attractive to players whatever we might think about Spurs.

 

However, the Wolves comparison is very interesting. From what I've seen they definitely pay less than us and let's face it Wolverhampton makes Leicester look like San Tropez. Yes, they have ambitions to be a bigger team but so do we. True, they had more success than us in the 1950s and earlier but I doubt many modern players take that into account. Plus we've been way more successful in the past 25 years. When I asked previously why we keep selling players to bigger clubs and they don't, one poster suggested their players were not rated as highly as ours individually - possibly but I would have thought that bigger clubs would rate the likes of Neves, Jota, Jiminez and the new version of Traoré. And yet there is hardly any suggestion of them losing players at all. I find it really odd. Is it all down to their relationship with Mendez, given that many transfers seem to begin with agents leaking stories to the press about their client being unhappy or being interested in a move to a big club, etc? 

I would suggest it's because Wolves have a bit of an anachronistic playstyle, so their best players would have to adapt to a more posession-based, 4 at the back system in a transfer to a new team, whereas we prepare players for essentially a very similar system to bigger teams like Man Utd, Chelsea etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

He (or any player) shouldn't be afraid to use it because of the abuse their own fans give them. 

 

What a strange statement

its not about being afraid to use it, you either use it or you don't... knowing full well there are trolls on there.

 

if twitter comments are effecting a player emotionally and how they play then they really shouldn't be on there

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Matt said:

Going abit off topic here but i'm going back to why other clubs don't lose their players and taking Wolves and Tottenham as example to raise question.

 

What I wanna know is how Tottenham and Wolves keep their players happy.

 

I read someone say Wolves players have a good relationship with agents, so? If others clubs come sniffing (Which I don't get why they're aren't or media try and engineer, push a move again, they don't seem too) these players are going to have their heads turned as do ours. Whilst I wouldn't imagine they pay as much as us. What I will say is Wolves seem to have our old 'band of brothers' squad mentality, something we seem to have lost.

 

Wolves own a chunk of Mendes’ agency.   So Gestifute is going to bring a caliber of players to Wolves that “surprises” people.  Don’t be so surprised.  Nor if they outgrow the club, yet stay put.  Mendes is not going to shop them round like any other agent.

 

Jimenez (not a Gestifute client) has been linked away.  While the likes of Jota are not.  If Jota was not with Mendes, surely his name would be all over the media.  He’s only 23 and worth more than 50K/week.

 

The League having allowed a club to link up with an agent distorts the competitive environment.  But worse, it means no one is speaking for the players.  Their trusted third party is actually part of ownership.  Why enhance their packets, or subject the club to competition for their services, when you can simply advise them to stay put?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KingsX said:

 

Wolves own a chunk of Mendes’ agency.   So Gestifute is going to bring a caliber of players to Wolves that “surprises” people.  Don’t be so surprised.  Nor if they outgrow the club, yet stay put.  Mendes is not going to shop them round like any other agent.

 

Jimenez (not a Gestifute client) has been linked away.  While the likes of Jota are not.  If Jota was not with Mendes, surely his name would be all over the media.  He’s only 23 and worth more than 50K/week.

 

The League having allowed a club to link up with an agent distorts the competitive environment.  But worse, it means no one is speaking for the players.  Their trusted third party is actually part of ownership.  Why enhance their packets, or subject the club to competition for their services, when you can simply advise them to stay put?

To be honest jota has hardly been wolves's level this year, let alone deserving of a move to a bigger club, im sure if either him or traore started putting up bigger numbers they would be linked elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

To be honest jota has hardly been wolves's level this year, let alone deserving of a move to a bigger club, im sure if either him or traore started putting up bigger numbers they would be linked elsewhere.

 

I can't say yes or no to that.  But I recall when the tie-up went through, many of us assumed making Wolves a Gestifute shop window was the point.  Wolves get better players, while Mendes bumps their profile and value in the richest league.  But it seems to be working out more like a one-way street so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KingsX said:

 

I can't say yes or no to that.  But I recall when the tie-up went through, many of us assumed making Wolves a Gestifute shop window was the point.  Wolves get better players, while Mendes bumps their profile and value in the richest league.  But it seems to be working out more like a one-way street so far.

Their aim is to have continuity, and once they've won something or are regularly in Europe they sell off assets when necessary and keep the flow going with a drip going out supplementing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Matt said:

Going abit off topic here but i'm going back to why other clubs don't lose their players and taking Wolves and Tottenham as example to raise question.

 

What I wanna know is how Tottenham and Wolves keep their players happy.

 

I read someone say Wolves players have a good relationship with agents, so? If others clubs come sniffing (Which I don't get why they're aren't or media try and engineer, push a move again, they don't seem too) these players are going to have their heads turned as do ours. Whilst I wouldn't imagine they pay as much as us. What I will say is Wolves seem to have our old 'band of brothers' squad mentality, something we seem to have lost.

 

Tottenham is even more of a bizzare situation and shock compared to Wolves as they keep hold tbh. They are (or certainly were, it might have changed since Kane's and Lloris'(?) improved contracts) notoriously tight, low payers (So I am led to believe - football terms) and don't have all that much money due to the new stadium and well as i've said they're just tight really, I think a couple of years back alot of our players were on more than theres (We're probably similar payers in reality), now someone's gonna come back on this point and say 'Who wants a load of bottlers?', 'They've never won anything', correct but they still have decent players there, and besides surely that should be a point for their players wanting to move on, but they somehow manage to keep them, paying poorly (again, in football terms and its only rumours), and players not engineering moves out. Ok so they lost Kyle Walker in 2017, Trippier in 2019 (But something had gone on there) and Vertonghan has just left as a free agent, but it's hardly like our scenario of letting one go every year.

 

Wolves good players aren’t English, and English players are far more marketable. Before you even take into account playing styles and agent tie tins. Kante and Mahrez weren’t just good, both are arguably world class players and better than anything outside the top 6 for quite some time.

 

Spurs are bigger than us And historically more glamorous and marketed as a “top 6” club by Sky etc. They also spend £30m a season more than us on wages... which effectively lets you pay 25 players £1.2m or £100,000 a week more than we can.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Wolves good players aren’t English, and English players are far more marketable. Before you even take into account playing styles and agent tie tins. Kante and Mahrez weren’t just good, both are arguably world class players and better than anything outside the top 6 for quite some time.

 

Spurs are bigger than us And historically more glamorous and marketed as a “top 6” club by Sky etc. They also spend £30m a season more than us on wages... which effectively lets you pay 25 players £1.2m or £100,000 a week more than we can.

25 players 25k/week 

it would be 6 players 100k/week more 

 

either way, it’s significant 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KingsX said:

 

Wolves own a chunk of Mendes’ agency.   So Gestifute is going to bring a caliber of players to Wolves that “surprises” people.  Don’t be so surprised.  Nor if they outgrow the club, yet stay put.  Mendes is not going to shop them round like any other agent.

 

Jimenez (not a Gestifute client) has been linked away.  While the likes of Jota are not.  If Jota was not with Mendes, surely his name would be all over the media.  He’s only 23 and worth more than 50K/week.

 

The League having allowed a club to link up with an agent distorts the competitive environment.  But worse, it means no one is speaking for the players.  Their trusted third party is actually part of ownership.  Why enhance their packets, or subject the club to competition for their services, when you can simply advise them to stay put?

More fool the players, tbh. 

 

Why sign for an agent that has a clear conflict of interest? No different to hiring a defence lawyer and then see him.testify for the prosecution. Bizarre. 

 

Anyway, ultimately, Wolves' players are nowhere near ours. That's why there's a lack of interest. They play to a system and play it very very well. Like Burnley. Even Bennett pointed that out in his recent interview. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

25 players 25k/week 

it would be 6 players 100k/week more 

 

either way, it’s significant 

Sorry I meant a month!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Frost said:

Chelsea fans abusing Chilwell before he's even kicked a ball for them. If you think it was bad at LCFC, you've not seen anything yet (unfortunately).

Yep, if any part of Chilwell wanting to leave is to do with getting away from our toxic fan base, then he’s in for a rude awakening at any top 6 side! 

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Matt said:

Going abit off topic here but i'm going back to why other clubs don't lose their players and taking Wolves and Tottenham as example to raise question.

 

What I wanna know is how Tottenham and Wolves keep their players happy.

 

I read someone say Wolves players have a good relationship with agents, so? If others clubs come sniffing (Which I don't get why they're aren't or media try and engineer, push a move again, they don't seem too) these players are going to have their heads turned as do ours. Whilst I wouldn't imagine they pay as much as us. What I will say is Wolves seem to have our old 'band of brothers' squad mentality, something we seem to have lost.

     

Tottenham is even more of a bizzare situation and shock compared to Wolves as they keep hold tbh. They are (or certainly were, it might have changed since Kane's and Lloris'(?) improved contracts) notoriously tight, low payers (So I am led to believe - football terms) and don't have all that much money due to the new stadium and well as i've said they're just tight really, I think a couple of years back alot of our players were on more than theres (We're probably similar payers in reality), now someone's gonna come back on this point and say 'Who wants a load of bottlers?', 'They've never won anything', correct but they still have decent players there, and besides surely that should be a point for their players wanting to move on, but they somehow manage to keep them, paying poorly (again, in football terms and its only rumours), and players not engineering moves out. Ok so they lost Kyle Walker in 2017, Trippier in 2019 (But something had gone on there) and Vertonghan has just left as a free agent, but it's hardly like our scenario of letting one go every year.

 

...the question is what is the next stop for Spurs and Wolves players!!!

 The teams above these two clubs I suspect do not want them. The players will not want to move sidewards, and can't get the move to to the big 4 as the quality in respect of their cost is not prudent choice.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Yep, if any part of Chilwell wanting to leave is to do with getting away from our toxic fan base, then he’s in for a rude awakening at any top 6 side! 

Perhaps earning double the money and winning trophies most seasons will help him deal with that .......

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...