Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

The downside is that this is most likely the peak for Leicester City and the only way is down from here

Chill out mate. We peaked in 2016 in the most epic way possible and knew it. ;) 

Edited by when_you're_smiling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I think Fuchs looked decent when he played last season, maybe just me. 

He's not capable of being the attacking FB demanded anymore... age has caught up with him.

..in 2016 though he was mustard!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Chill out mate. We peaked in 2016 in the most epic way possible and knew it. ;) 

In terms of success yh but our status as a club has never been higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

The downside is that this is most likely the peak for Leicester City and the only way is down from here

Always look on the bright side of life. De Dum de dum, de dum de dum de dum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on nothing other than a hunch, I wouldn't be surprised to see Man City come in for him and hijack the deal if Chelsea managed to agree a fee they felt was realistic

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Based on nothing other than a hunch, I wouldn't be surprised to see Man City come in for him and hijack the deal if Chelsea managed to agree a fee they felt was realistic

Definitely could see Man City showing an interest....would you take cash plus zinchenko exchange if they did? Probably past his best but could do a job for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

Definitely could see Man City showing an interest....would you take cash plus zinchenko exchange if they did? Probably past his best but could do a job for us.

Zinchenko is about the same age , honestly don't see Ben going anywhere , we want too much for him. However he has some competition for his place now with Justin and Thomas . I want to see him in more consistent form next season 

Edited by An Sionnach
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ToeKneeHandCock said:

He’s 23 😂 Thought  he was older But meant I have read some Man C fans think he has declined and they want to replace. I think he could do well for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Zinchenko is about the same age , honestly don't see Ben going anywhere , we want too much for him. However he has some competition for his place now with Justin and Thomas . I want to see him in more consistent form next season 

Happy if he stays ...tho wouldn’t be surprised if he moved. agree the other lads will give some competition. Main thing other areas of team more of a priority to improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Based on nothing other than a hunch, I wouldn't be surprised to see Man City come in for him and hijack the deal if Chelsea managed to agree a fee they felt was realistic

I thought this, watching them last night. Mendy is so unreliable for them and they've wanted Chilwell in the past. I think he'd fit in well there as Pep doesn't need his full backs to score or assist much, they just need to be able to get up and down the pitch well, which is what Chilwell excels at.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/08/2020 at 22:34, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I think Fuchs looked decent when he played last season, maybe just me. 

Yeah, just you.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t see Man City paying what we want to be honest. Yes they’re big spenders, bigger than anyone, but they seem to try to push a narrative that they’re not the sort of club to spend Maguire/Pogba, Allison/VVD kind of money. Instead they tend to spend at a lower lever but on multiple players and growing that year on year. For example, since 15/16: Sterling, KDB, Stones, Sane, Walker, Mendy, Laporte all signed for £45m-£55m each. Since 2018 they’ve signed Mahrez, Rodri and Cancelo for £60m-£65m each. Same reason they’ve gone for Ake at £40m - they can afford to just pay it for a quick deal but we’d be trying to negotiate it down for weeks. 
 

So I can’t see them going for Chilwell if we’re truly after £90m. Nor Cags, Wilf, Ricardo or Maddison, who I personally believe won’t go for anything less than £100m each. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have said before I would be surprised if he goes , too expensive , we need academy players in the squad and some doubts about his defensive capabilities . He remains a very good footballer though and Rodgers has got to find the best way of using him. If we go 3-5-2 he will become our principal wide left attacker with Ricci doing the same on the right. I personally prefer that, but our back three have got to be totally comfortable with that and develop a proper understanding. If we play back four , we really need two holding midfielders (as Liverpool do) to cover any disposession upfield. He needs to be given the freedom to attack though , as does Ricci. Luke Thomas shows a lot of promise but he needs a season as bench player along with Justin before I would make him a starter.

Edited by An Sionnach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

As I have said before I would be surprised if he goes , too expensive , we need academy players in the squad and some doubts about his defensive capabilities . He remains a very good footballer though and Rodgers has got to find the best way of using him. If we go 3-5-2 he will become our principal wide left attacker with Ricci doing the same on the right. I personally prefer that, but our back three have got to be totally comfortable with that and develop a proper understanding. If we play back four , we really need two holding midfielders (as Liverpool do) to cover any disposession upfield. He needs to be given the freedom to attack though , as does Ricci. Luke Thomas shows a lot of promise but he needs a season as bench player along with Justin before I would make him a starter.

I don't think he will go either. He is injured so probably would not pass a medical. I just said the same on another post about playing him 3-5-2.  He doesnt have the main responsibility for defending and can use his pace up and down the wing.  He actually started out as a central mid and loved playing there and ended up as a left back by default. I'm not sure he likes defending 😂 let the boy run and whip those crosses in. He needs to be more consistent with his crossing but that is easily coached.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hales said:

I don't think he will go either. He is injured so probably would not pass a medical. I just said the same on another post about playing him 3-5-2.  He doesnt have the main responsibility for defending and can use his pace up and down the wing.  He actually started out as a central mid and loved playing there and ended up as a left back by default. I'm not sure he likes defending 😂 let the boy run and whip those crosses in. He needs to be more consistent with his crossing but that is easily coached.

If it was so easy to coach, he would have got it by now, even when he's in form it's an area of his game that is inconsistent. I think it would be a terrible idea to use wingbacks if one were to be Chilwell, teams would just drop back and give him space because they know he can't cross. He is great in a back 4 because (when in form, not playing through injury etc) he is very solid defensively and is a great progressor of the ball. But in terms of end product, which is a must with wingbacks, he is not suited to the position.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/08/2020 at 21:07, Jazzy_Jeff said:

I can see us getting £60m rising to £65m with addons. 
 

with the pandemic I don’t think as much money will be thrown about and Chelsea have spent a fair amount already.

..wasn't it rumoured that they have a £300m war chest!!!

 Stemming from their previous embargo and their sale of Eden Hazard.

  They are at present attempting to get the Havertz deal over the line and that will surely be above the £80m mark. Potentially Havertz will be one of the greats, only injury can prevent it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems Chelsea have been priced out and are moving onto other options (Tagliafico or Tsimikas) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:


According to the Premier League, Chilwell’s cross accuracy over 99 appearances rates at 18% (from 337 crosses).

 

https://www.premierleague.com/players/13491/Ben-Chilwell/stats


Now according to this article, the Premier League in general is pretty poor in terms of cross completion when compared with the 5 top leagues - and perhaps puts Chilwell’s statistical output in a much better light.
 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.transfermarkt.co.uk/best-cross-accuracy-only-three-premier-league-players-in-top-20-davies-13th/amp/news/359039

 

However, the importance of crossing in the game - especially in the Premier League - has been declining, as highlighted within this article.

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/jan/21/andy-carroll-peter-crouch-chelsea-west-ham-united-stoke-city

 

It should also be considered that the make up of our forward line hasn’t exactly been one made for a typical full back cross. 

It takes two to make a successful cross, so naturally the type of players and numbers you have in the box at the point of delivery mark an important variable.

 

Additionally, given the position a full back has to come from in order to be in an advanced position to cross, defences will generally be more setup, ready to defend that aerial ball, making finding that pin point ball that much harder.

 

Therefore does Chilwell have an issue when it comes to crossing ability? 
 

Well, visually to fans, maybe? 
 

And that makes sense - as fans we watch our own team much more than others, providing a comparison deficit, and if a player is only ‘successful’ 1 in 5 times that won’t feel very good (and what fans will consider a successful cross will be narrower than the metrics statisticians  use).
 

But statistically, in comparison to the leagues performance it would appear he doesn’t. 
 

And just in case you wanted a couple of other interesting statistical comparisons.

 

Andy Robertson - arguably the best left back in the league last season - has a cross accuracy of 17%, albeit from significantly more attempts (634)
 

https://www.premierleague.com/players/10458/Andrew-Robertson/stats
 

Not good enough for you? 
 

Well why don’t we try our right full back position for comparison - one of our players of the season.

 

How does Ricardo’s crossing stats compare? 
 

Many might be surprised, but his completion percentage is actually lower than Chilwell’s at 15% from 164 attempts.

 

https://www.premierleague.com/players/5343/Ricardo-Pereira/stats

 

So, given all this statistical fun, what can we as fans possibly learn from this? 
 

Well maybe, just maybe, Chilwell is a much better player than we give him credit for - and that we should be careful when judging ability on an area of the game in which failure is more common than success. 
 

 

I don't give a sh** about crossing, Vardy is 5'9" lol

And Ricardo lower stat at crossing shows exactly why it's not what we need from a full back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Richard said:

Seems Chelsea have been priced out and are moving onto other options (Tagliafico or Tsimikas) 

Tsimikas is heading to Liverpool 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GDesign_JRC said:

Tsimikas is heading to Liverpool 

Chelsea were interested though - in more concrete terms than they have been for Chilwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...