On 11/08/2020 at 12:55, jeffschlupp said:

Anyone defending his crossing has no knowledge of the technique required.

I've never seen a supposedly top level full-back only cross if he can roll the ball from the sole of his boot first, look up, lean back, and then float it. Because he leans back and floats them he is always off balance when he strikes it, so he doesn't get the full weight behind the ball to get a good strike with pace on it. The rare ones we've scored from like Iborra at Brighton were only because we had a big guy in the box who was unmarked.

Ricardo can flash balls across the box at the byline; drill them in at head height, cross with both feet, and has the top technique to do all of it. Chilwell is nowhere near him in this regard, he often even struggles to square it/cut back to Barnes or Vardy half the time. I mean look at Chilwell's goal against Chelsea, it all comes from a shit cross from his side that Ricardo had to salvage.

I maintain we will improve without him going forwards. Defensively I actually think he's quite decent but we've seen him get torn by Riyad through basic errors of showing him inside, and he isn't great at the back post either.

If the pandemic hadn't struck and Ricardo not got injured, we'd have all been absolutely fuming if Chilwell was back in for Justin for the Watford game. That sums it up.

I couldn't agree more with this. Nicely put 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

"EXCLUSIVE: Man Utd aren't satisfied Leicester had their pants down quite far enough last year and are back for more."

80 mil. :appl:Jesus

6 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

"EXCLUSIVE: Leicester aren't satisfied Man Utd had their pants down quite far enough last year and are back for more."

Fixed it for you!

Sorry... Cancel that.... I misread it in my brain!

Edited by KansasFox
mis-read and quoted
  • Like 1
Just now, 4everfox said:

In what way did we come off worse from selling Maguire for a world record 80 million?

With the second half of the season, and certainly the latter stages, strength in depth. We’d all agree Soyuncu has meant we’ve not missed him much, but he’d have been a damn sight better as an option than Bennett and to an extent Wes as well

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

With the second half of the season, and certainly the latter stages, strength in depth. We’d all agree Soyuncu has meant we’ve not missed him much, but he’d have been a damn sight better as an option than Bennett and to an extent Wes as well

That doesn't alter the fact Maguire isn't worth 80 million plus. 40 million yes 80 million would be a present day Bobby Moore and Maguire ain't that.

Just now, Markyblue said:

That doesn't alter the fact Maguire isn't worth 80 million plus. 40 million yes 80 million would be a present day Bobby Moore and Maguire ain't that.

Oh no absolutely not! We diddled them good and proper on the fee, but in terms of how we suffered because of the lack of depth in the squad, that’s where we came off worst. We can certainly laugh that they overpaid for him, but he was not a bad player. He wanted to go, Cags more than stepped up to replace him, but we didn’t have the backup. Bennett was a stop gap because we couldn’t get what we want in January, and we left it too late in the summer window 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Hales said:

Well replacing 2 members of the first team is a job isn't it? The "rule" is one player each year too? Just curious really.....

I think the rules is more like sell one player we really rate because we can get a silly fee. I'm not sure brendan does rate nacho, and would actually be quite willing to trade him for someone else.

5 minutes ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Does Nacho fancy a go at LB then? 

What? I was just asking a question as the "rule" is generally 1 first team player sold so I was wondering if one was sold would they sell the other too did anyone think? Just a curious question that's all? 🤷‍♀️

My personal thought is BR would rather Kel went than Ben.....

Edited by Hales
35 minutes ago, Hales said:

What? I was just asking a question as the "rule" is generally 1 first team player sold so I was wondering if one was sold would they sell the other too did anyone think? Just a curious question that's all? 🤷‍♀️

My personal thought is BR would rather Kel went than Ben.....

I don't think we chose to sell one player each summer. 

Kante we had no choice. Drinky was a trouble maker so he forced our hand. Mahrez we postponed his inevitable sale until it became impossible to hold him back any more. Maguire we'd have preferred to keep it we honoured our word to him that he could go if an OTT offer came in. 

I suspect chilly was told the same last summer what Maguire was told the summer before. And I expect Maddison was told the same this summer too. That's why all three (Maddison tbc) signed up to new deals. 

Next year is going to be super difficult though. Ricardo's contract running down, Cags, Wilf and Maddison could all be rightfully itching for a move and attracting huge bids. There's some serious succession planning needed. 

• Like 1

Our most overrated player by some distance, we should be selling for anything above £40m tbh.

I can see him not leaving though - realistically there are only two clubs in England daft enough to pay the fee this summer. No interest from abroad of course.

If someone bids anywhere near £80m, we'd have to accept.

I get people's frustrations with him, and I don't know whether his whole 'cut back and take the easy pass as soon as you get past the halfway line' approach is a mentality thing or coached, but if he all of a sudden decides that he wants to run on more and get to the byline then he'll be one of the best full backs in the world. That kid who tore Atletico to shreds is still in there somewhere.

Chilwell divides opinion, yes.

I rate him highly, and I’d like to keep him. However, for £80m, we could buy Telles and a right winger. 

We’ve got to be pragmatic. He’ll he a top, top left back, however for £80,000,000, we can improve the team overall. 

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

So disappointingly fashionable to be "down" on Chilwell.  :rolleyes:

He is not a top top level player, but he is a good player, England's 1st choice LB and he is a product of this very club.

Our closer exposure to Ben causes us to see his every wrinkle, his every flaw.

Surely by now we realise that  clips of other players only show the good bits!

Not calling for anything other than a bit of perspective 

He’s not at Ricardos level now. However he’s still young. 

I’m still unsure how Ricardo isn’t playing for Portugal on a regular basis.