44 in 1 million isn't that low odds for a particular single day. Your odds of catching a cold on a particular single day are pretty slim too but over a year or two it's much smaller.

44 in 1mil is 1 in 22,727 chance per day or 1 in 62 chance of getting it over a year and bare in mind this is the number at its lowest and we're waiting to see how winter will affect that number going up right now.

Got to say, I know more than 62 people, most people probably do. Which means the chance I'll know someone who'll get it over the next year even at its lowest point of spread on those odds is very high. If the numbers go back up as the weather gets colder then those odds will only go up.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Sampson said:

44 in 1 million isn't that low odds for a particular single day. Your odds of catching a cold on a particular single day are pretty slim too but over a year or two it's much smaller.

44 in 1mil is 1 in 22,727 chance per day or 1 in 62 chance of getting it over a year and bare in mind this is the number at its lowest and we're waiting to see how winter will affect that number going up right now.

Got to say, I know more than 62 people, most people probably do. Which means the chance I'll know someone who'll get it over the next year even at its lowest point of spread on those odds is very high. If the numbers go back up as the weather gets colder then those odds will only go up.

Ah ok, it's odds per single day. That's such a ridiculously misleading headline. 

• Like 1

1 death announced in Ireland in todays figures.  The only one we have had in the last 10/11 days.

After 5 weeks or so of cases rising we haven't had a rise in deaths. I'm cautiously optimistic we are over the worst. :please::fc:

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

I missed your post, cheers for the explanation!

3 PSG players test positive.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11820/12061805/neymar-among-three-psg-players-to-return-positive-coronavirus-tests

I know its been said a thousand times, but surely a lot people have had this virus but we just don't know about it (or can't prove it etc.)

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If those numbers are correct in the article, that's very surprising.

Not surprisingly at all. The pandemic finished weeks ago. Once the US switches gear and we find the school children aren't dieing, things will move quickly.

The moderna directors cashed in their stocks, so not expecting stellar sales for their new vaccine when it's released, probably because it won't be needed by then.

Antoine want to see the Florida graphs? No lockdown, world was going to end, blood on his hands etc. Look no different to anyone elses, I think it's time we called time in this charade and took out lives back.

Edited by simFox
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, simFox said:

Not surprisingly at all. The pandemic finished weeks ago. Once the US switches gear and we find the school children aren't dieing, things will move quickly.

The moderna directors cashed in their stocks, so not expecting stellar sales for their new vaccine when it's released, probably because it won't be needed by then.

Antoine want to see the Florida graphs? No lockdown, world was going to end, blood on his hands etc. Look no different to anyone elses, I think it's time we called time in this charade and took out lives back.

Slight amendment. We'll take our lives back. 

Already, I'm finding more and more normality at the office, at my kids' junior football team and laughably today at my hairdressers (totally zero regard for covid sanitisation and msocial Distancing) regardless of the daily madcap rules and regulations that get blurted out about gardens and quarantine and meeting friends and codes of conduct in stadiums. 

The point was made the other day by the totally insane but equally wonderful David Icke. Half a million on Bournemouth beach and 'they' declare a 'major incident'  - whatever that means. But wtf could 'they' do when declaring the major incident? Absolute sweet fanny Adams.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Slight amendment. We'll take our lives back. 

Already, I'm finding more and more normality at the office, at my kids' junior football team and laughably today at my hairdressers (totally zero regard for covid sanitisation and msocial Distancing) regardless of the daily madcap rules and regulations that get blurted out about gardens and quarantine and meeting friends and codes of conduct in stadiums. 

The point was made the other day by the totally insane but equally wonderful David Icke. Half a million on Bournemouth beach and 'they' declare a 'major incident'  - whatever that means. But wtf could 'they' do when declaring the major incident? Absolute sweet fanny Adams.

Lads I know and where I live have been drinking indoors for months, sometimes up to 30 or 40 of them. Some of the people at work who were doing it properly at the beginning of lockdown are even starting to go to round friends houses and actively starting to mix indoors again. I work outdoors and we've not really social distanced at all, it's impossible to in all honesty. It feels like not many people are taking the restrictions seriously anymore.

The thing that confuses me is the "it's the asymptomatic people who are the real danger, cos they could spread it without anyone knowing."

But if they're not sneezing or coughing (the definition of asymptomatic as far as I'm concerned), how are they spreading it? I guess kissing or sharing food and drink, but you only do that with people you're most intimate with, i.e., you're probably going to get infected by them some how anyway. Yet they shouldn't be a danger to people in general, even workmates and friends.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

The thing that confuses me is the "it's the asymptomatic people who are the real danger, cos they could spread it without anyone knowing."

But if they're not sneezing or coughing (the definition of asymptomatic as far as I'm concerned), how are they spreading it? I guess kissing or sharing food and drink, but you only do that with people you're most intimate with, i.e., you're probably going to get infected by them some how anyway. Yet they shouldn't be a danger to people in general, even workmates and friends.

Exactly. 

Individuals wash their own hands, don't rub eyes or nose with hands that have just been to a shop...don't share drinks or pick at meals of others.... there's not much more than can be asked. 

Everyone just needs to be considerate, that's all. No need for economic.armagedden

• Like 2

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2020/09/statement-from-the-chief-public-health-officer-of-canada-on-september-2-2020.html

Canada advising people to either masturbate or wear a mask during sex

Sexual health is an important part of our overall health. However, sex can be complicated in the time of COVID-19, especially for those without an intimate partner in their household or whose sexual partner is at higher risk for COVID-19. Like other activities during COVID-19 that involve physical closeness, there are some things you can do to minimize the risk of getting infected and spreading the virus.

The lowest risk sexual activity during COVID-19 involves yourself alone. If you choose to engage in an in-person sexual encounter with someone outside of your household or close contacts bubble, there are some steps you can take to reduce your risk. The most important step is to establish a trusting relationship with your sexual partner. When engaging in sexual activity you can reduce your risk by:

Monitoring yourself for symptoms of COVID-19 and not having sex if you or your partner is experiencing symptoms;

Limiting your use of alcohol and other substances so you and your partner(s) are able to make safe decisions;

Skipping kissing and avoiding face-to-face contact or closeness; consider using a mask that covers the nose and mouth; 

Being aware if you or your partner may be at higher risk for more severe outcomes of COVID-19. This includes: people of any age with underlying medical conditions; people with compromised immune systems; and people living with obesity.

As usual, engaging in safer sex practices, including using condoms, knowing your own STI status and the status of your partner.

Current evidence indicates there is a very low likelihood of contracting the novel coronavirus through semen or vaginal fluids. However, even if the people involved do not have symptoms, sexual activity with new partners does increase your risk of getting or passing COVID-19 through close contact, like kissing. Remember as with all social interactions, try to keep your number of close contacts low if possible.

By taking these precautions and staying conscious of the risks we assume, Canadians can find ways to enjoy physical intimacy while safeguarding the progress we have all made containing COVID-19."

7 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2020/09/statement-from-the-chief-public-health-officer-of-canada-on-september-2-2020.html

Sexual health is an important part of our overall health. However, sex can be complicated in the time of COVID-19, especially for those without an intimate partner in their household or whose sexual partner is at higher risk for COVID-19. Like other activities during COVID-19 that involve physical closeness, there are some things you can do to minimize the risk of getting infected and spreading the virus.

The lowest risk sexual activity during COVID-19 involves yourself alone. If you choose to engage in an in-person sexual encounter with someone outside of your household or close contacts bubble, there are some steps you can take to reduce your risk. The most important step is to establish a trusting relationship with your sexual partner. When engaging in sexual activity you can reduce your risk by:

Monitoring yourself for symptoms of COVID-19 and not having sex if you or your partner is experiencing symptoms;

Limiting your use of alcohol and other substances so you and your partner(s) are able to make safe decisions;

Skipping kissing and avoiding face-to-face contact or closeness; consider using a mask that covers the nose and mouth; 

Being aware if you or your partner may be at higher risk for more severe outcomes of COVID-19. This includes: people of any age with underlying medical conditions; people with compromised immune systems; and people living with obesity.

As usual, engaging in safer sex practices, including using condoms, knowing your own STI status and the status of your partner.

Current evidence indicates there is a very low likelihood of contracting the novel coronavirus through semen or vaginal fluids. However, even if the people involved do not have symptoms, sexual activity with new partners does increase your risk of getting or passing COVID-19 through close contact, like kissing. Remember as with all social interactions, try to keep your number of close contacts low if possible.

By taking these precautions and staying conscious of the risks we assume, Canadians can find ways to enjoy physical intimacy while safeguarding the progress we have all made containing COVID-19."

Thanks. I'll avoid the crude details of exactly how, but i once got raging tonsillitis off a bird, back in my pomp. 

10 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Rites of passage really. You pluck up the courage to go in a chemist to buy a mask and you leave with a bottle of Lucozade.

• Haha 4

May well be over the hump of the "second wave" over here in Korea - after 300/400 cases daily throughout last week, today is 195 and dropping. Thanks, dare I say it, to decisive action from local bigwigs and a public (other than the religious fundies) who actually realise that other people matter and not just themselves.

I remember someone saying that the Y2K bug will always be remembered as merely a blip thanks only to the work done behind the scenes to guard against it and compared it to what we're seeing now. Seems about right.

5 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

People will spread it through sneezing in general I guess. Also by touching their face or mouth, then touching surfaces, it'll spread that way.

They reckon asymptomatic people are hardly spreading it though, so that could be good news.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

do I have to wear a mask while masturbating? Asking for a friend....

14 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Whilst there is little occurrence of the virus, there will, surprise, surprise ....be little transmission 

once the weather really turns and people are inside more then we will see where we are going on this ....

I think most people have spent a lot of time indoors throughout this whole thing.

• Like 1