1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s the same as visiting a restaurant now. I’m starting at St Margaret’s again tomorrow and have had to do the same.

We played at St Margaret’s but didn’t have anything like that. 

Anyone had any experience of booking a test for a toddler. My 15 month old has had a temperature.  NHS 111 are saying she needs one , but unable to book one and been she doesn't need one by other people ?

2 hours ago, reynard said:

The picture in France should be a serious warning to the potential of what might happen here in around 3 to 4 weeks.

Also since schools reopened in Scotland numbers there are on the increase.

Following quote re France.

"Today, we have a rise in the number of new cases a week of 30% and a 15% increase in the number of hospital admissions a week. If this rhythm continues, we will reach a critical situation in several regions of France in December."

It really is a case of damned if you do and damned if you don’t, universities and schools need to be open and new cases will rise, I’m still hoping hospital admissions don’t rise as a consequence.

What I find infuriating is the government on one hand encouraging people back to the office (we all know why ££) and then threatening places with local lockdowns, the realisation now of job losses and business closures is going to be a bitter pill to swallow for many as will the knock on effects of unemployment.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It's scary how many cases we actually must have had back in March/April when the testing when dramatically lower, there could have been 10-15k+ cases per day realistically.

i reckon a lot more than that late march and through april………...

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It's scary how many cases we actually must have had back in March/April when the testing when dramatically lower, there could have been 10-15k+ cases per day realistically.

They did say it was likely to be around 30x more than the official cases at that point. Antibody tests point to about 4-5 million having had the virus too. 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

i reckon a lot more than that late march and through april………...

Just now, Lionator said:

They did say it was likely to be around 30x more than the official cases at that point. Antibody tests point to about 4-5 million having had the virus too. 

Jesus:o

With Laporte and Mahrez adding to growing list of positive cases in footballers and athletes in general, it is interesting that (as far as I know) very few have shown any symptoms or have been severely ill.
From a purely medical standpoint is there any significant differences between athletes and normal healthy young adults when it comes to dealing with the virus?
It seems to me that the answer to that is probably not, obviously increased lung capacity etc but surely that’s unlikely to be the difference between a bit of a sniffle and hospital admission.

14 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

With Laporte and Mahrez adding to growing list of positive cases in footballers and athletes in general, it is interesting that (as far as I know) very few have shown any symptoms or have been severely ill.
From a purely medical standpoint is there any significant differences between athletes and normal healthy young adults when it comes to dealing with the virus?
It seems to me that the answer to that is probably not, obviously increased lung capacity etc but surely that’s unlikely to be the difference between a bit of a sniffle and hospital admission.

The two biggest risk factors for severe covid are age and obesity and two things footballers aren’t are old and obese. Even despite this talk of ‘long Covid’, they all seem to be back in training after the quarantine period with no ill effects.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lionator said:

The two biggest risk factors for severe covid are age and obesity and two things footballers aren’t are old and obese. Even despite this talk of ‘long Covid’, they all seem to be back in training after the quarantine period with no ill effects.

Profi sportspeople,are tending to Keep in bubbles,or planned enviroments....

Young Mr joe Blogs....has only  to Face the Open  hard cruel Core world....with Heroes protecting us from the Audacity of Face-masks and Social distancing.

Soon we will be free of the world of obvious patience, prudence & Common sense....

3 hours ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

This study is particularly interesting, as asymptomatic athletes were included in this group and some of them also showed heart inflammation - being asymptomatic doesn’t equate to a lack of long term effects, they may just not be visible yet.

The truth is, no one knows what all the long term effects are yet. This ‘long Covid’ stuff was being discussed in April by NHS staff who were the first to get infected and were still getting fevers after months, but this has only come to general awareness much more recently. I’m seeing many now report random burning smells emerging about 3-4 months after initial infection. 

It will be interesting to follow what happens this season with the PL players who tested positive and had mild/no symptoms - whether they are able to play at their usual intensity or if we might see them play less mins that we would otherwise expect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, brucey said:

This study is particularly interesting, as asymptomatic athletes were included in this group and some of them also showed heart inflammation - being asymptomatic doesn’t equate to a lack of long term effects, they may just not be visible yet.

The truth is, no one knows what all the long term effects are yet. This ‘long Covid’ stuff was being discussed in April by NHS staff who were the first to get infected and were still getting fevers after months, but this has only come to general awareness much more recently. I’m seeing many now report random burning smells emerging about 3-4 months after initial infection. 

It will be interesting to follow what happens this season with the PL players who tested positive and had mild/no symptoms - whether they are able to play at their usual intensity or if we might see them play less mins that we would otherwise expect.

The younger generations seem to suffer disproportionately from the smell/taste issue. There is much evidence emerging that the nerve damage done by the virus can affect these senses for months afterwards as the nerve begins to repair where it’s been damaged . This nerve is the only nerve we have which does regrow. And the cutting edge research shows that as it regrows, it’s the bad smells which take precedence as a throwback to our evolution where it was vital to smell bad things to survive ...it’s too early to know just how long the effects can last for ......but the side effects are very difficult to live with 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Lionator said:

I wonder if long covid is to be the new ME? (Not me, for clarity I meant  chronic fatigue syndrome)

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, brucey said:

Wow, could be a lot of shortened careers then if that’s the case.

1 minute ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Wow, could be a lot of shortened careers then if that’s the case.

Or the inflammation could all be temporary and leaves them perfectly fine - no one knows.

But given the possibility, and the fact that players are assets worth tens of millions, you can see why clubs and FAs are cracking down hard on these players exposing themselves (and therefore their teammates) unnecessarily.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, brucey said:

I think these results were dismissed by the scientific community for several reasons. 1) there was no control group to compare the 30-35% of enlarged hearts to 2) american footballers have bigger hearts due to fitness/probable steroid use. 

Not dismissing the potential consequences but I wouldn't read too much into it. Also EPL players get regular ECG and echocardiograms so they'd easily be able to tell if something was up.

44 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I wonder if long covid is to be the new ME? (Not me, for clarity I meant  chronic fatigue syndrome)

Well considering that ME is a post viral syndrome I suspect long covid will finally allow those who have suffered for many years with ME to be taken more seriously....

Can anyone explain to me the logic behind quarantining when returning from abroad? 

It's not as though we don't have many cases and going abroad increases chances of bringing the virus back to our shores. I'm only as likely, if not less likely, to catch it at a Greek island as I am in Manchester, a 'high risk' area, surely? 

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Can anyone explain to me the logic behind quarantining when returning from abroad? 

It's not as though we don't have many cases and going abroad increases chances of bringing the virus back to our shores. I'm only as likely, if not less likely, to catch it at a Greek island as I am in Manchester, a 'high risk' area, surely? 

I can't explain any of it anymore.