22 minutes ago, simFox said:

The problem is, labor aren't providing the right opposition in my view. They are creating more fear and hysteria by criticising the government response and the number of deaths. I dread to imagine what a Corbyn lockdown would have been like.

I watched PMQ and it was just about test capacity. Nothing about the false positive rate or knee-jerk reaction to the results.

What do you expect Starmer to do? Give Johnson a big thumbs at the despatch box every week and just say "you keep going champ, you're doing your best"?

One of the functions of being in opposition is to hold the government to account where they think it's going wrong, and it's clear something's going very wrong when people are being asked to drive hundreds of miles to get a test.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

What do you expect Starmer to do? Give Johnson a big thumbs at the despatch box every week and just say "you keep going champ, you're doing your best"?

One of the functions of being in opposition is to hold the government to account where they think it's going wrong, and it's clear something's going very wrong when people are being asked to drive hundreds of miles to get a test.

I was trying to say this to people a month ago, they have been crowding most of their testing resources in hot spots, not only did that manipulate the figures heavily but it also meant those not in these areas have been finding it very hard to get tested.

14 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Certainly do not give him a thumbs up but don't challenge everything just for the sake of being the opposition.

Yesterday saw a feed of Starmer being interviewed & the subject of Furlough was brought up & Starmer has said its wrong to stop it but then wouldn't be drawn into how long he would let it run for or what size pot he would allocate to Furlough if he was in charge, its easy to drop a fart & walk away & blame someone else if your not going to be held accountable.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Certainly do not give him a thumbs up but don't challenge everything just for the sake of being the opposition.

Yesterday saw a feed of Starmer being interviewed & the subject of Furlough was brought up & Starmer has said its wrong to stop it but then wouldn't be drawn into how long he would let it run for or what size pot he would allocate to Furlough if he was in charge, its easy to drop a fart & walk away & blame someone else if your not going to be held accountable.

He hasn't though? I don't want to turn this into a Politics Thread 2 but Labour have clearly backed most government measures to tackle this, despite Johnson's ridiculous and persistent whinge that the whole world is against him.

If you've got a link to that Starmer interview, I'd like to see it as I haven't. For what it's worth, I don't think Labour have been bang on all the time in their response to this either, but the idea that they've just been grandstanding and point-scoring in the kind of constructive opposition they've been providing is frankly wrong. If it was then Johnson would be able to give straight answers to the straight questions Starmer's been asking week after week instead of the irrelevant garbage that keeps coming out of his mouth. It's not good enough in a time of national crisis. when the public rightly deserve answers about what's going on.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Looking through social media it feels like this is the turning point, so many people are openly saying they disagree with this decision or they are not actively going to follow this rule.

it's not even a temporary measure, it's for the foreseeable. 

11 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

He hasn't though? I don't want to turn this into a Politics Thread 2 but Labour have clearly backed most government measures to tackle this, despite Johnson's ridiculous and persistent whinge that the whole world is against him.

If you've got a link to that Starmer interview, I'd like to see it as I haven't. For what it's worth, I don't think Labour have been bang on all the time in their response to this either, but the idea that they've just been grandstanding and point-scoring in the kind of constructive opposition they've been providing is frankly wrong. If it was then Johnson would be able to give straight answers to the straight questions Starmer's been asking week after week instead of the irrelevant garbage that keeps coming out of his mouth. It's not good enough in a time of national crisis. when the public rightly deserve answers about what's going on.

Of course they have to provide opposition, but the criticism has only increased the poor response we have witnessed. In my view we need to look critically at how we have handled the economy, but no one wants to put money before lives, it's a moral judgement and it's without reason.

We know about this virus, we have an adult population, we don't need to be guided by tyranny and Draconian new laws. We need sensible and measured responses, not rules on how many people I can have in my house! But no one's questioning that. He's clung onto testing capacity, which is probably one of the drivers that are getting us into this mess. I don't mind more testing, so long as we treat the data sensibly and don't use it to put more people on the breadline unnecessarily.

As for testing without symptoms. I've got to get a test to board a plane, another when I land and another after 7 days. I'm sure plenty of other people have to get tested who don't want to, but there we are.

If someone kept telling me everyday I'm not doing enough lockdown or saving enough lives, I'd be trying to prove that I'm doing enough. Labor have there own part to play in this and in my view the are also part of the problem.

Edited by simFox
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Matt Hankcock suggesting the testing shortage isn't owing to a lack of tests - it's because the tests are being taken by those who don't need them.

I'm not even sure how to digest this sensibly. Are people supposed to know they're negative without the test? Who 'needs' a test other than those with symptoms, surely they're not doing it for fun.

lol

I've just ordered a new test online, shame on me for not knowing if I've got it before it comes.

• Haha 1

I’m largely on the fence with it all.

The government can’t do right for doing wrong. So will always be on a pedestal to be shot at. I can quite confidently state, that whoever would have been leading the country, would have faced similar situations. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, however but as they say in this instances, better late than never! 

1. They have everyone continuing life as normal, Herd immunity approach - Karen on Facebook “Bloody hell, Boris is a tool, he needs to lock everything down, people are dying everywhere, herd immunity is a terrible idea”.

2. Everyone locked down to slow the spread - Karen on Facebook “Jesus, I’m bored, this is having a toll on everyone’s mental health, I need a social life, they need to let everyone see each other, I’m self employed but the furlough scheme doesn’t give me enough money” (I bet she wishes she’d complicated her taxed form correctly now) .

3. Also Karen on Facebook - “it’s all fake, don’t be a sheep, don’t wear a mask, you’re all idiots! PROJECT FEAR, rebel”!! Okay ........ my grandma  has just died from this though, not sure I agree. 

4. Also Karen - “The sooner we get Brexit sorted and keep the immigrants out, the sooner we’ll get rid of coronavirus”. Not sure how that works!!! 

5. People that have become hermits and haven’t seen anyone. Karen (again) - “argh, I feel for you, this will all blow over soon, Bozza has got this”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Thefox81 said:

Covid marshalls 😂. Can see that going well in cuty centres on a friday and saturday night.

They’ll basically get told to do one! 

10 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

Covid marshalls 😂. Can see that going well in city centres on a friday and saturday night.

8 minutes ago, Sly said:

They’ll basically get told to do one! 

Yes, sadly they'll be just average people being employed to do a job, but they'll get some abuse from people after a few drinks in town centres, it's inevitable.

1 hour ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

covid secure marshals. lol. what a title

I've not seen any news today, but I can guess what this latest madcap scheme is. 

Will they be given sticks, black caps and extra rations? Will the rest of us need to wear stripey pyjamas?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I've not seen any news today, but I can guess what this latest madcap scheme is. 

Will they be given sticks, black caps and extra rations? Will the rest of us need to wear stripey pyjamas?

they get a little red armband to wear too!

Edited by AllGoneTitsSchlupp
5 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

He's having a laugh surely. There's literally adverts on TV saying get tested if you have symptoms lol 

GET A TEST! SAVE LIVES! STOP THE SPREAD!

Oh, not you though. You shouldn't be having tests, we don't want you to know you're negative.

1 minute ago, Corky said:

GET A TEST! SAVE LIVES! STOP THE SPREAD!

Oh, not you though. You shouldn't be having tests, we don't want you to know you're negative.

That’s the madcap situation we’re in. 

Surely they’ve considered before now, that as we enter winter, people will get other illnessses like cold and flu, so will panic about having COVID. 

3 hours ago, BKLFox said:

its easy to drop a fart & walk away & blame someone else if your not going to be held accountable.

That's a superb analogy lol

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

So no gigs or sport or anything, then? How is the music industry meant to survive? 

Can't imagine I'll be DJing anytime soon.

Might have to get a proper job at some point :facepalm:

44 minutes ago, Sly said:

I’m largely on the fence with it all. The government can’t do right for doing wrong.

Nailed it :appl:

5 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

He's having a laugh surely. There's literally adverts on TV saying get tested if you have symptoms lol 

But he didn't say the problem was people with symptoms getting tested, he said 25% of people getting tests shouldn't be having a test because they neither have symptoms nor are they in a group that is eligible for routine testing e.g health workers. I think a school that tested a whole class that shouldn't have been tested and people using them before/after holiday have been cited as examples.

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

But he didn't say the problem was people with symptoms getting tested, he said 25% of people getting tests shouldn't be having a test because they neither have symptoms nor are they in a group that is eligible for routine testing e.g health workers. I think a school that tested a whole class that shouldn't have been tested and people using them before/after holiday have been cited as examples.

Might be a dumb question but how are they getting the data of knowing if someone had symptoms before a test or not?

Is there a form you have to fill out before getting a test done? If so, if you don't have symptoms (and click the right part on the form), how are you allowed a test? Same goes for booking it - do you only get a test sent to you if you commit to saying you have symptoms?