Jump to content
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Fktf said:

This is a bit of a false comparison though, isn't it? It would have been nice to track and trace from the first few cases, but we simply didn't have the infrastructure in place to do it. I mean, we've had months to develop a tracing app, and it still doesn't appear to be very good. 

but when were the 1st few cases, Feb or November?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

but when were the 1st few cases, Feb or November?

I don't think anyone knows, do they? Anecdotally it seems some people had it before the first confirmed case, but who knows until we can all get hold of antibody tests.

 

I'm not really sure that it matters either way. Whether there was some background spread of the disease or not, it was pretty clear we had to slow the spread of the virus or face overwhelming the NHS. With the right infrastructure in place, I'm sure we would have done a test, track, and isolate approach - but that simply wasn't an option for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fktf said:

I don't think anyone knows, do they? Anecdotally it seems some people had it before the first confirmed case, but who knows until we can all get hold of antibody tests.

 

I'm not really sure that it matters either way. Whether there was some background spread of the disease or not, it was pretty clear we had to slow the spread of the virus or face overwhelming the NHS. With the right infrastructure in place, I'm sure we would have done a test, track, and isolate approach - but that simply wasn't an option for us. 

With the amount of people now claiming to have had it over Christmas, we should be at Herd Immunity already. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bovril said:

With the amount of people now claiming to have had it over Christmas, we should be at Herd Immunity already. 

I would say once the facts have been properly investigated it will be almost certain this virus was about before xmas in the uk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Markyblue said:

I would say once the facts have been properly investigated it will be almost certain this virus was about before xmas in the uk. 

I would guess so. But there's shit loads of other viruses going round too I imagine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bovril said:

I would guess so. But there's shit loads of other viruses going round too I imagine. 

That is undoubtedly true as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Fktf said:

I don't think anyone knows, do they? Anecdotally it seems some people had it before the first confirmed case, but who knows until we can all get hold of antibody tests.

 

I'm not really sure that it matters either way. Whether there was some background spread of the disease or not, it was pretty clear we had to slow the spread of the virus or face overwhelming the NHS. With the right infrastructure in place, I'm sure we would have done a test, track, and isolate approach - but that simply wasn't an option for us. 

thats the trouble, if this was knocking around in Nov it was being treated like maybe a 2018 version of Flu & nobody was thinking about test, trace & isolate & why would they i guess, so by the time its confirmed around the world we dealing with something different its here but your right we didn't have the right infrastructure but again can't just conjure up lab testing facilities etc etc

There is so much more coming out everyday on CV19 & simple stuff like use of a form of Ibuprofen being trialled as a mild treatment now, when back in the day it was advised not to use these types of anti-inflammatory (& not just in the UK) but as @Markybluementions until an investigation is done & we are in possession of all the facts i'm shying away from knee jerk reactions as a lot of the times they bite you in the bum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the government can largely afford this furlough scheme because, as supported by independent studies, the budget cuts were a choice to, seemingly, hurt the lower classes and saved the government 10s of billions of pounds they didn't need. So now they can support the working people they purport to be fighting for by not cutting off their livelihoods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

 

 

 

Anecdotal news -  had an antibody test yesterday which was, as expected, positive 

 

asked the nurse about how busy she has been etc etc

 

she said very busy and that approx a third of the tests they were doing were positive. All the people from early in the year who thought they’d had it haven’t .... she said there were some winter virus’ going around as there usually are. 


just saying ........

I think this is true.  My sister and her family all think that they had in in Jan but I think it is wishful thinking. 

 

This virus spreads like wildfire.  If it had been around earlier and without any restrictions, hospitals would have been on their knees.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I think the government can largely afford this furlough scheme because, as supported by independent studies, the budget cuts were a choice to, seemingly, hurt the lower classes and saved the government 10s of billions of pounds they didn't need. So now they can support the working people they purport to be fighting for by not cutting off their livelihoods. 

The government spent £40bn more than they recouped in 2019 during normal times.  We're always running at a defecit which was out of hand even before this pandemic.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I don't think we'd have seen such a big build up in cases during Feb and March if it was around in November and December. Exponential growth would have happened sooner.

 

Maybe there was 1 or 2 very rare cases but I doubt anyone anecdotally ill in December would have had it.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sampson said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52903717

 

Sweden have now admitted they were wrong not to lock down.

I don't think they have

 

However, he was unclear what Sweden should have done differently and at a press conference later on Wednesday later he underlined that "we basically still think that is the right strategy for Sweden".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, murphy said:

I think this is true.  My sister and her family all think that they had in in Jan but I think it is wishful thinking. 

 

This virus spreads like wildfire.  If it had been around earlier and without any restrictions, hospitals would have been on their knees.

We could have had a less deadly strain that mutated but without mass anti-body testing of the population, no-one knows, and that will probably never happen if the governments test and trace app is anything to go by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Significant portion of deaths again today. 

 

At least the Swedes are acknowledging their own failures. Some of that would be refreshing over here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BKLFox said:

thats the trouble, if this was knocking around in Nov it was being treated like maybe a 2018 version of Flu & nobody was thinking about test, trace & isolate & why would they i guess, so by the time its confirmed around the world we dealing with something different its here but your right we didn't have the right infrastructure but again can't just conjure up lab testing facilities etc etc

There is so much more coming out everyday on CV19 & simple stuff like use of a form of Ibuprofen being trialled as a mild treatment now, when back in the day it was advised not to use these types of anti-inflammatory (& not just in the UK) but as @Markybluementions until an investigation is done & we are in possession of all the facts i'm shying away from knee jerk reactions as a lot of the times they bite you in the bum.

Completely agree.

 

When we're back to some sense of normality, you can guarantee there will be some people that will say there was only a relatively small increase in excess deaths in the healthy population, and argue the lockdown was an over-reaction. We just have to remember that the relatively small increases in death figures are because we interrupted the transmission of the virus, and at the time lockdown was the only real method of achieving this. It's a bit of a 'sledge-hammer' method of interrupting transmission that will end up being costly, but - as you say - we couldn't just conjure up the infrastructure to support a more nuanced way of slowing the virus down.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Significant portion of deaths again today. 

 

At least the Swedes are acknowledging their own failures. Some of that would be refreshing over here. 

A bit of positivity would be refreshing rather than the relentless cynicism that you specialise in.

 

But then we all know FT > SAGE

 

 

 

 

Edited by murphy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peston has to do it on purpose, nobody can be that fvcking annoying in asking a question surely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Peston has to do it on purpose, nobody can be that fvcking annoying in asking a question surely.

The blokes a cock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...