6 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I'm trying to say if any other age group was acting irresponsible towards covid by having parties and the like we wouldn't be trying to make excuses based on life issues for them, even though they too might be worried about climate issues and the economy etc etc... 

Muh Engrish skills sadly lack for nuace. 

Ah, now I get it.

I think there's been an awful lot of irresponsibility regarding Covid in the UK from a lot of people for a lot of different reasons, and it mostly boils down to self interest, whether that's a student wanting to make what they believe is the most of university life, someone not wearing a mask in shop because of their own belief in personal freedom, or someone else driving halfway across the country and violating lockdown regs for personal reasons.

Can only speak for myself here, but I'd rather look at it from an individual perspective rather than groups.

• Like 1

This might have come up before, but a really interesting finding which could and should really challenge the way we see transmission of the virus. Not sure of the implications for policy if these findings were proven to be true.

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

They haven't shut their borders so people can come in, but anyone coming in - Korean or otherwise - has to stay in a quarantine facility (or in case of resident in their own home after taking designated transportation there) for 14 days and get two negative tests before being given the OK.

Lockdowns, for me, work when they're well-targetted and you don't have that many cases to deal with anyway. Korea have been superb at dealing with the localised outbreaks as they happen and thus keeping the number down from the start.

Yes I’ve come to the conclusion that a lockdown has to have some end purpose. Either:

- To protect health services from being overwhelmed (as in the UK and elsewhere initially), or

- To try to drive numbers down sufficiently to allow Test & Trace to take over and keep infections low (as in Eastern states of Australia, S. Korea, etc), or

- To try to eliminate the virus as in other parts of Australia & New Zealand.

I can’t see how the latter two options can work without some sort of strict border controls. Test and Trace, at least in Australia seems to get overwhelmed quite quickly with relatively low rates of infections, so I just don’t see how it would ever be possible in the UK, especially now that compliance with restrictions seems to be breaking down.

13 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

This might have come up before, but a really interesting finding which could and should really challenge the way we see transmission of the virus. Not sure of the implications for policy if these findings were proven to be true.

Interesting. However, unless you're able to tell in real time (and real time rather than after the fact is the important part there) who spreads the virus and who doesn't, then it must be assumed that all people that have Covid spread it until proven otherwise, which is where we're at now.

• Like 1

Just looking at the Sky News map for new restrictions and see Blaby is an area of concern but Oadby and Wigston no longer on the list. Didnt know positions had changed on both parts. What has occurred to make Blaby an area of concern.

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

Genuinely think they're trying to slowly put the whole country into lockdown. The north's basically been covered. It'll be the midlands and south west by November. Then the south east and south coast. Then maybe London for a week or two.

There's a tier system coming in which makes things clearer thankfully. Basically over 100 positive cases per 100,000 then you are Tier 2 and no mixing households. 

2 hours ago, theessexfox said:

Not sure how this is the case as they were saying the evidence showed that the majority of transmissions have been within households?

Back in the spring when 900-1000 people a day were dying, cases were at around 6000 new per day, at the moment we are at roughly 7000 new cases a day. Where are the deaths, they aren't happening. 

This could be either false positives , that could be a very high proportion,  or the virus has mutated and is now less potent.

1 hour ago, MattFox said:

Greater Manchester has been under restrictions for months and nothing’s changed.

Surely a different approach is needed

To be fair, both Man City & Man Utd players did a fair bit of social distancing at the weekend.

12 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

Back in the spring when 900-1000 people a day were dying, cases were at around 6000 new per day, at the moment we are at roughly 7000 new cases a day. Where are the deaths, they aren't happening. 

This could be either false positives , that could be a very high proportion,  or the virus has mutated and is now less potent.

1 minute ago, bovril said:

I think in reality there were several times more cases in March and April, combined with the virus picking off the more vulnerable in the spring and perhaps lower viral load in the present cases due to social distancing, mask wearing etc. We're also better at treating it.

Back at the previous peak there were, as you said @joachim1965 over 6000 positive cases per day, and over 1000 deaths, the reality is that testing was still small time compared to now. We were probably getting over 100,000 positive cases a day around that time. At the beginning of April, the highest number of positive cases recorded was 6,199, with over 1000 deaths. There were less than 15,000 tests carried out on that day. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not... But do you really believe we only *actually* had 6000 cases per day then?

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

There's a tier system coming in which makes things clearer thankfully. Basically over 100 positive cases per 100,000 then you are Tier 2 and no mixing households. 

I mean, good that there's finally gonna be something solid.

Shambles that this tier system didn't exist or wasn't available to the public from the off.

I really do think this needs to be flexible, by loosening restrictions, you need to account for a slight rise in infections.

As an example. If there are 5 tiers. 1 is super  restricted - 5 relaxed as hell.

Tier 1

- To enter this from Tier 2 you need above 0.1%  for 5 days

Tier 2

- To enter this from Tier 1 and have below 0.07% for 10 days

- To enter this from Tier 3 you need above 0.12%  for 5 days

Tier 3

- To enter this  from Tier 2 and have below 0.12%  for 10 days

- To enter this from Tier 4 you need above 0.2%  for 5 days

Tier 4

- To enter this  from Tier 3 and have below 0.16%  for 10 days

- To enter this from Tier 5 you need above 0.3%  for 5 days

Tier 5

- To enter this  from Tier 5 and have below 0.2%  for 10 days

This has been created very quickly with guesswork figures lol

7 hours ago, Fox92 said:

All the areas/spikes they speak about are all midlands and further. Nothing south of Birmingham have specific lockdowns.

We're sensible and know how to follow rules. The scenes you see in London on weekends are all fake news :ph34r:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not... But do you really believe we only *actually* had 6000 cases per day then?

probably not,  but do you seriously think we now have 7000 cases a day? 

The false positives must be huge, influenza is killing 10 times more people at the moment than covid,  the deaths from untreated and undiagnosed cancer will be horrendous,  not to mention suicides and people just giving up in care homes due to being isolated from family, the solution cannot be expected to be worse than the problem but unfortunately it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

I think the fact that you had to point such a basic idea out says enough. 

it doesn't really though does it, I accept the fact that cases were significantly more than reported due to lack of testing,but my point still stands, where are all the deaths? 

Cases are rising significantly but deaths are not FACT.