23 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Surely getting a vaccine for a coronavirus would be quite some achievement? I thought this hasn’t been done up to now?

For sure it is, I'm not sure if it has been done before given SARS doesn't have one.

But was just trying to get across that vaccine development for a virus is done yearly to decent success level with the flu.

55 minutes ago, Tuna said:

On Vaccines, there is what, 70 million people in the UK, what capacity would you think the country would have for mass vaccinations in the event of a vaccine? 500,000 a week? That would take about 3 years to vaccinate the whole of the UK.

The aim will be to stop people being hospitalised and dying, not catching covid. So given that under 50's generally don't get hospitalised and die from covid, they may never need vaccinating, especially if we find treatments for 'long covid'. Which leaves roughly 40% of the population at risk who do need vaccinating. 

I think Astra Zeneca alone were looking at least 2 billion doses by the end of 2021 for worldwide use, and they're just one of many who will have created vaccines by the end of 2021. So capacity is not going to be an issue. It's just the logistics which will be tricky.

3 hours ago, Fktf said:

I take your point, but I think there is something a little more special about developing something for a novel virus?

From reading, the scientists at Oxford were p*ssing about with an experimental MERS vaccine in case it was ever needed, but obviously never got the funding to trial it as it was never required. So once SARS 2 came out, they just altered one or two things and it was good to go into trials. It wasn't just magicked out of the air, the vaccine technology they use has existed for a good while.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tuna said:

On Vaccines, there is what, 70 million people in the UK, what capacity would you think the country would have for mass vaccinations in the event of a vaccine? 500,000 a week? That would take about 3 years to vaccinate the whole of the UK.

Think about the annual influenza jab. In the 2019-20 season 14 million people in the UK were vaccinated. Although this is about 50% effective it significantly reduces clinical impact. It is a distinct possibility that Covid-19 will also become endemic. 

27 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Think about the annual influenza jab. In the 2019-20 season 14 million people in the UK were vaccinated. Although this is about 50% effective it significantly reduces clinical impact. It is a distinct possibility that Covid-19 will also become endemic. 

I'd be interested as to how they'd roll out the vaccine. I'd assume would be the at risk categories first: so elderly, those with conditions etc? Then begin into the lower risk groups 

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

I'd be interested as to how they'd roll out the vaccine. I'd assume would be the at risk categories first: so elderly, those with conditions etc? Then begin into the lower risk groups 

Yeah I think so. We won't need 70 million people given the vaccine, you'd probably only need 5-10 million or so and it would make a massive difference. It's great news that they think they'll have one though, hopefully it comes through and it gives us something to aim for.

Basically if you're young, fit and healthy, you won't be the guinea pig for the vaccine:ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yeah I think so. We won't need 70 million people given the vaccine, you'd probably only need 5-10 million or so and it would make a massive difference. It's great news that they think they'll have one though, hopefully it comes through and it gives us something to aim for.

Basically if you're young, fit and healthy, you won't be the guinea pig for the vaccine:ph34r:

It’s likely young people would only need one jab whereas over 50’s will need a booster. 

13 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I would expect so. 

Anyone who's had this know how long the fever normally lasts? 

The sudden loss of taste is very obvious. Went from fine, to no taste in a couple of hours, with no blocked or runny nose. Doesn't feel like when you have a cold. 

39 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Anyone who's had this know how long the fever normally lasts? 

The sudden loss of taste is very obvious. Went from fine, to no taste in a couple of hours, with no blocked or runny nose. Doesn't feel like when you have a cold. 

I had it mid august. Just felt a bit unwell and lethargic nothing major. Had a test came back positive. Never felt unwell even after that. Ive had worse colds. 2 things did affect me. 1 was loss of taste which lasted approx 10days. The 2nd was loss of breath even just walking to 2mins to my local shop. Eventually it all got better and im totally fine now so i think it just varies from person to person.

46 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

I had it mid august. Just felt a bit unwell and lethargic nothing major. Had a test came back positive. Never felt unwell even after that. Ive had worse colds. 2 things did affect me. 1 was loss of taste which lasted approx 10days. The 2nd was loss of breath even just walking to 2mins to my local shop. Eventually it all got better and im totally fine now so i think it just varies from person to person.

Thanks for that. Good to know the lack of breath doesn't have to mean too serious of a condition if that does come for me later. Had a temperature for a few days now but it's not full on sweating, just consistently feel hot. 

11 hours ago, Lionator said:

The noises are that these vaccines, specifically the BioNTech/Pfizer and Astra Zeneca/Oxford ones are effective.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hope-for-covid-vaccine-at-new-year-25b52b86s

I suppose the next challenge will be convincing enough members of the public to be vaccinated.

Once vaccinations start, hospitalisations and deaths will naturally reduce and that's when measures will be dropped I would imagine. 

I feel that people will accept restrictions a lot more as long as they know there's an end, which is where an approved vaccine will change the game.

It'll be interesting for sure. 

I remember growing up and being st school and we used to call each other flids and that was used as a drug what 50 plus years before? I respect science has moved on but could it have a similar effect for future generations 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Thefox81 said:

:blink::unsure::frusty::jawdrop::protest:

• Like 1
5 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Probably asking a bit much to have a coherent strategy for it. Probably just stick a few people on street corners to stab passers by with a needle. 

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Probably asking a bit much to have a coherent strategy for it. Probably just stick a few people on street corners to stab passers by with a needle. 

I'm expecting the government to hire Michael Van Gerwen and Phil Taylor throw the vaccines into an crowd at an anti vax protest.

3 hours ago, Thefox81 said:

I think everyone seems to have a slightly different experience .... That’s not possible but you get the gist ....

3 hours ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Thanks for that. Good to know the lack of breath doesn't have to mean too serious of a condition if that does come for me later. Had a temperature for a few days now but it's not full on sweating, just consistently feel hot. 

My temp ran on for about ten days , it generally came on late afternoon ..... it depends what the disease does to your insides .......

russian roulette comes to mind but I think that treatments have changed over the past six months so even if you had a downturn you’re better placed now .....

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I think everyone seems to have a slightly different experience .... That’s not possible but you get the gist ....

My temp ran on for about ten days , it generally came on late afternoon ..... it depends what the disease does to your insides .......

russian roulette comes to mind but I think that treatments have changed over the past six months so even if you had a downturn you’re better placed now .....

Thank you for the input. Interesting , as you say,  having a similar experience with the temperature coming on and going off at certain times. At least upon waking up it's not there. Coughs getting more and more nasty but still within what I've had from bad colds in the past. Pretty optimistic anyway and not a lot to do but wait it out.

15 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I’m assuming there would be freedom of choice and leave it up to the individual whether to have the vaccine or not.

People are talking about 70 million people having the vaccine, that won’t happen.

I would think the at risk and those working within the NHS and care homes would be encouraged to be vaccinated and eventually anyone else who wants it.

9 hours ago, Harrydc said:

I think I'll be taking some time off this website. Its all so mentality draining, and I feel as though I'm made to feel crazy. Maybe I am crazy, who knows? All I know, is that all of these restrictions, my job under threat. bills to pay and no future prospect is too much for me to think of right now. But still, we've got to think of others... Right.

So a break from here is definitely needed. 

It's almost as if people if differing backgrounds have differing views. 

If you find it exhausting people don't automatically share your world view then life is going to be difficult. 

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

It's almost as if people if differing backgrounds have differing views. 

If you find it exhausting people don't automatically share your world view then life is going to be difficult. 

To be fair to the guy, there are certain situations (climate change being one of note) where consistently having to point out where people are ignoring scientific fact for the sake of their own self interest *is* a bit exhausting. And also such viewpoints aren't exactly harmless when the people that hold them can vote and therefore indirectly craft policy based on those viewpoints.

Brexit, Covexit,fishexit, Bdexit....Uk your fukked...

I was Patriotic in Leaving UK believing One less crazy barsteward in Uk,would help my Homeland to evolve, become wise & clever,how wrong I was....:bounce: