Jump to content

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It only ever tells you the risk of your postcode. 

What is the point of that? It would make more sense to give you live info regarding where you are. Most are going to be aware of the risk rating of their home town. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, browniefox said:

What is the point of that? It would make more sense to give you live info regarding where you are. Most are going to be aware of the risk rating of their home town. 

Because it’s dodgy ground on Data Protection Act I believe. 
 

Can only record where you’ve checked in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

The NHS Covid app completey drained my dad's iPhone 7 within a few hours the other day. He said he was barely on his phone throughout the day. He deleted the app and the phone is fine now. Wonder what's the point in having an app if your phone is constantly dead. 

I have an iPhone 8 and I haven’t noticed any issue as yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

So the ONS survey shows around 32,500 cases per day by mid October 

 

Valance said 50k per day if nothing was done to check the spread 

 

I think a few owe him an apology ......

35200 which is just for England, whereas Vallance referred to the whole of the UK. Crudely, multiplying that by 1.2 the UK's pupolation is ~1.2x England's) gives ~42000. Which is likely an underestimation given that the ONS doesn't include institutional settings such as hospitals, care homes, and student accommodation. 

 

We have a suite of info now for around the 15th just in England:

ONS 35200 13th October

REACT 45000 5th October

Cambridge MRC 47000 12th October 

 

By the middle of next week we'll have hospitalisations to back-of-a-fag packet extrapolate from and then another couple of weeks to do the same for deaths. But either way the Vallance mocking doesn't look too wise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We're due to go to a fairly remote/sparsely populated part of Wales in 14 days. We live in a tier 1 area. Wales aren't allowing anyone in in any tier regardless of whichever postcode you live in. So we're fooked. Lost all our money as the property owner will not refund if we are unable to travel due to Covid even though it's not us, it's the Welsh ban on travel that's preventing us from going. :mad:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Seems ridiculous to me but the debt of trillions of pounds has got be repaid, I guess. :cry:

 

False economy.

 

Making PPE more expensive will inevitably lead to more cases, more deaths, more lockdowns, more debt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

35200 which is just for England, whereas Vallance referred to the whole of the UK. Crudely, multiplying that by 1.2 the UK's pupolation is ~1.2x England's) gives ~42000. Which is likely an underestimation given that the ONS doesn't include institutional settings such as hospitals, care homes, and student accommodation. 

 

We have a suite of info now for around the 15th just in England:

ONS 35200 13th October

REACT 45000 5th October

Cambridge MRC 47000 12th October 

 

By the middle of next week we'll have hospitalisations to back-of-a-fag packet extrapolate from and then another couple of weeks to do the same for deaths. But either way the Vallance mocking doesn't look too wise.

 

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/22268/

 

Excess deaths currently 1% higher than expected.  Conclusion made is that many of these have moved away from the hospitals and into people's homes.

 

We'll see in two weeks time but I wouldn't let Vallance off the hook just yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was in a shop today where we saw a till attendant pull his mask down and cough into his gloved hands, pull his mask up and carry on. Didn't sanitise his gloves or change them.

 

I genuinely believe he thought this was okay because he was wearing gloves. 

 

Unfortunately, it was also the till we'd just unloaded our shopping on. My wife insisted we wipe everything down with wipes as we unloaded out of our bags at home, probably sensibly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Was in a shop today where we saw a till attendant pull his mask down and cough into his gloved hands, pull his mask up and carry on. Didn't sanitise his gloves or change them.

 

I genuinely believe he thought this was okay because he was wearing gloves. 

 

Unfortunately, it was also the till we'd just unloaded our shopping on. My wife insisted we wipe everything down with wipes as we unloaded out of our bags at home, probably sensibly.

 

Did you not challenge him?

Link to post
Share on other sites

My 81 year old grandmother told my parents today that she's coming over for Christmas come what may. She seems to have reached the point where it's worth risking her health (and life, even) rather than living miserably in social isolation. I'm sure there must be plenty of other elderly/vulnerable people who feel this way.

 

On a different and more positive note, I feel that we are seeing closer to the 'true' death rate now. Looking at the last 7 days in the UK there have been a total of 141,741 cases and 1,142 deaths. This gives a 0.81% death rate, which I still think if anything is still slightly higher than the reality.

Edited by DennisNedry
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

My 81 year old grandmother told my parents today that she's coming over for Christmas come what may. She seems to have reached the point where it's worth risking her health (and life, even) rather than living miserably in social isolation. I'm sure there must be plenty of other elderly/vulnerable people who feel this way.

 

On a different and more positive note, I feel that we are seeing closer to the 'true' death rate now. Looking at the last 7 days in the UK there have been a total of 141,741 cases and 1,142 deaths. This gives a 0.81% death rate, which I still think if anything is still slightly higher than the reality.

Deaths are a lag from cases though - the 1142 deaths should be analysed against the number of cases two - three weeks ago. 
 

2 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

In England, Covid-19 was the 19th most common cause of death, and in Wales it was 24th.

 

This surprising stat was for last month. 

How many covid deaths were there in September?   600 ?  - It will be hugely more for October and even more November - i asked the question before deaths increased - how many daily deaths are acceptable to keep the country ‘open’?  however, yet again, it needs stressing that we are trying to stop the NHS being overwhelmed more than we are trying to stop people dying from covid - the latter is unavoidable .......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Deaths are a lag from cases though - the 1142 deaths should be analysed against the number of cases two - three weeks ago. 
 

How many covid deaths were there in September?   600 ?  - It will be hugely more for October and even more November - i asked the question before deaths increased - how many daily deaths are acceptable to keep the country ‘open’?  however, yet again, it needs stressing that we are trying to stop the NHS being overwhelmed more than we are trying to stop people dying from covid - the latter is unavoidable .......

Of course there will be, every year there are more deaths in the autumn/winter.

Please don’t feel you need to stress anything to me btw, I found the stat interesting and surprising that is all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Just had a notification from the app saying I've been close to someone who has tested positive. Is there any way to find out the location where the exposure was?

I wouldn’t worry - you’ll either get another one shortly to say dont worry about it or you won’t get anything. Unless it tells you that you need to isolate then I guess you don’t ........it could also just be the same glitch that millions have had 

 

the app doesn’t keep track of where contacts were made , just that they were made and how long for  ..........

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, st albans fox said:

I wouldn’t worry - you’ll either get another one shortly to say dont worry about it or you won’t get anything. Unless it tells you that you need to isolate then I guess you don’t ........it could also just be the same glitch that millions have had 

 

the app doesn’t keep track of where contacts were made , just that they were made and how long for  ..........

 

 

Ah would be handy to know where it was. Bit useless that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I fail to see the point in sifting through shit for a spec of the virus? 

Really?  - it’s a great idea.  Tells the authorities where the virus actually is and isn’t (and in what concentration) without having to test.  We all have a sh1t every day !  Plus as winter draws on, it will also show where the flu is rather than covid ....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buce said:

 

Did you not challenge him?

Is there any point?

 

The last time I challenged someone for bad behaviour in a supermarket, the security threatened to throw me out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...