3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Ok basically doesn’t affect me then as I want to meet with my brother and dad who are living together but can’t as I live with my girlfriend. Seems abit of a shit rule to me. 

Hope all is well considering the tragedy you mentioned on here not too long ago. 

• Like 1

In a 100 years,there will be a Board game called Corvid-19 lockdown, 

Like monopoly,you will go around the board,trying to collect releases from lockdown. Collect excuses for denying of regulations

and get out of jail( carehome) cards.

Not forgetting Losing places for no PPI,but aquiring New PPI deliveries After passing go...Various Card stations. Losing ground on furlough,or gaining places if

Card says you are self-employed & Qualify for Govt-help.

A Wild DC-card,allows you to do anything ....

Jesus !! there are so many permatations....Its just the rules might be confusing..l!!

• Like 1

The Government do want all children to return soon. They initially want those 3 classes to return first, but would like for all classes to return for at least a month before the end of term. Which makes it only a few weeks after the initial classes return. Those initial 3 classes? Yes, we can just about make provision to cope with them and ensure reasonable safety precautions. Every class? Nope, can't be done.

Just wanted to quote myself from 3 weeks back in the other Corona Virus thread, because I love a 'told you so'.

It's funny that the Government have just realised that they won't get able to get all children back in school with the current measures in place, when literally anyone involved in the profession could have told you that a month ago.

It was so blindingly obvious, that If I was being cynical, I would say that the Government knew this all along, but put that false promise out there to try and placate the general public a little, even though they knew it wouldn't be realistic. A bit like whenever I order something on kickstarter "Oh it's just delayed a months because of 'x'. Oh now we've had shipping problems, just 2 more months" - slowly dripfeeding you the delays rather than admitting something's going to be a year late up front.

Schools won't be back 'til September. Hopefully things will be more 'normal' then, but even that's not a guarantee.

Edited by Charl91
  • Like 3
27 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Have other countries schools all gone back, or is it only a select few? If so, how have they managed it?

I know Italy and Spain aren't going back until September. 

Germany and Austria partially reopened, similar to here where students taking exams have gone back. France have specific zones where schools have gone back for different ages. Netherlands only some have gone back. 

Denmark went back in April. Belgium have gone back with limits of 10 in class. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I know Italy and Spain aren't going back until September. 

Germany and Austria partially reopened, similar to here where students taking exams have gone back. France have specific zones where schools have gone back for different ages. Netherlands only some have gone back. 

Denmark went back in April. Belgium have gone back with limits of 10 in class. 

Doesn't look like many will be going back until September then.

12 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

In a 100 years,there will be a Board game called Corvid-19 lockdown, 

Like monopoly,you will go around the board,trying to collect releases from lockdown. Collect excuses for denying of regulations

and get out of jail( carehome) cards.

Not forgetting Losing places for no PPI,but aquiring New PPI deliveries After passing go...Various Card stations. Losing ground on furlough,or gaining places if

Card says you are self-employed & Qualify for Govt-help.

A Wild DC-card,allows you to do anything ....

Jesus !! there are so many permatations....Its just the rules might be confusing..l!!

And in the end nobody wins.

11 hours ago, Charl91 said:

Just wanted to quote myself from 3 weeks back in the other Corona Virus thread, because I love a 'told you so'.

It's funny that the Government have just realised that they won't get able to get all children back in school with the current measures in place, when literally anyone involved in the profession could have told you that a month ago.

It was so blindingly obvious, that If I was being cynical, I would say that the Government knew this all along, but put that false promise out there to try and placate the general public a little, even though they knew it wouldn't be realistic. A bit like whenever I order something on kickstarter "Oh it's just delayed a months because of 'x'. Oh now we've had shipping problems, just 2 more months" - slowly dripfeeding you the delays rather than admitting something's going to be a year late up front.

Schools won't be back 'til September. Hopefully things will be more 'normal' then, but even that's not a guarantee.

Some of the suggestions you hear on the radio etc are fantastic too. There was a woman yesterday who suggested that teachers should give up their summer holiday as they have 'already had their break'. Well yes, apart from setting work, marking, going through every single exam aged student's work to decipher what would be a fair and accurate grade for their cancelled exams, regular meetings, giving individual feedback, answering emails, speaking to parents etc, they've not really done much. Not to mention that teachers don't actually get paid for the summer holiday either, they're only paid for 10 and bit months that they work and that pay is then spread out over 12 months. So they've effectively be working free of charge.

Another suggested that they just send back half the students at a time. One of my local schools has over 2000 students, so that should be fun. Oh and what about transport for the students who do not live within a mile or so of campus? 

Almost like they've not thought it through. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Some of the suggestions you hear on the radio etc are fantastic too. There was a woman yesterday who suggested that teachers should give up their summer holiday as they have 'already had their break'. Well yes, apart from setting work, marking, going through every single exam aged student's work to decipher what would be a fair and accurate grade for their cancelled exams, regular meetings, giving individual feedback, answering emails, speaking to parents etc, they've not really done much. Not to mention that teachers don't actually get paid for the summer holiday either, they're only paid for 10 and bit months that they work and that pay is then spread out over 12 months. So they've effectively be working free of charge.

Another suggested that they just send back half the students at a time. One of my local schools has over 2000 students, so that should be fun. Oh and what about transport for the students who do not live within a mile or so of campus? 

Almost like they've not thought it through. 

My inner cynic says that teachers are dispensable for the government because they tend not to be conservative voters and there's big union involvement.

But my teacher family member has worked through all of this, no easter or half term holidays, looking after key worker children and setting home schooling tasks. 

• Like 2

Seems like with everything going on that we're not hearing as much regarding the science. But aside from Iran, there's been very little suggestion of second waves still in countries which take the right precautions but still with an element of 'normality', whatever the hell that is.

We're also seeing really, really good progress with a number of potential antiviral and antibody based treatments.

• Like 1

Why have schools been so patchy on this. 

Some schools providing excellent support, teaching and activities, and some providing none? 

My eldest has a full school day - Registration with his classmates from 8.45 and full video lessons from 9-3. With a couple of hours homework thrown in for good measure. 

My youngest is getting next to zero. School put up some activities that take him about 10 minutes to complete. 

We’ve ‘adopted’ another school that have good structured resources for him and are using that. 

Bit odd that there is not some kind of centralised system, or that some schools have just shut up shop and abandoned the kids. 

1 minute ago, davieG said:

My daughter's had to go in regularly and manage a class of under 5s, you try telling them about social distancing.

Indeed. I never fully understood the decision to put the lower year of primary back into school, when it was always unrealistic to expect "little uns" to adhere to social distancing :blink:

Must assume it was a planning thing (Get the new kids in ready for next year), but that is false surely, as all those children will be in the same situation regardless what happens!

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Don't see the word traitors anywhere in that. But could be among the 10,000 ads I guess. 

Apart from that. She makes some good points. 

One thing we do know is that the reality for thousands of children remains grim. A majority of state school students have not taken part in a single online lesson during lockdown.

True enough I'd imagine. And whilst some teachers will be working as hard as ever, some aren't. The ones I've been dealing with have done the square root of sod all. Don't think it's hard to stretch the imagination to a point where you can see why parents are struggling getting on teachers sides. 

What about this one?

ianVisits on Twitter: "Compare the #DailyMail front cover photo ...

This front page is almost a month old now, so when the death rate was considerably higher than it is now. They knew exactly what they were doing with that headline. Making out that any teacher/school staff who had reservations about returning to work were letting the side down and ruining the work of the 'heroes', it's so divisive and they were acutely aware of that.

If somebody has reservations about surrounding themselves with 30+ people in a tiny room for prolonged periods of time in the midst of a global pandemic then I think that's fair enough. My wife is happy enough to return to work because she's a healthy, white, young woman and will almost certainly be ok, but there are countless teachers with health issues or live with those who do. 

For state schools it is down to the Government to create a working model to return all pupils back to work and for individual schools to work around that. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Indeed. I never fully understood the decision to put the lower year of primary back into school, when it was always unrealistic to expect "little uns" to adhere to social distancing :blink:

Must assume it was a planning thing (Get the new kids in ready for next year), but that is false surely, as all those children will be in the same situation regardless what happens!

I think originally they were children of key workers so I guess understandable but not very reassuring for my daughter. I guess I was also attempting to show that for some teachers it's not been a holiday because even for under 5s it takes a lot of planning to educate and entertain them whilst observing the lockdown guidelines. She also has 2 young teens at home. Fortunately her husband was able to work from home for the most part.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

I think to understand the reasoning behind a lot of decisions that have been made you need to understand the country is being run by a bunch of dimwits.

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

What about this one?

ianVisits on Twitter: "Compare the #DailyMail front cover photo ...

This front page is almost a month old now, so when the death rate was considerably higher than it is now. They knew exactly what they were doing with that headline. Making out that any teacher/school staff who had reservations about returning to work were letting the side down and ruining the work of the 'heroes', it's so divisive and they were acutely aware of that.

If somebody has reservations about surrounding themselves with 30+ people in a tiny room for prolonged periods of time in the midst of a global pandemic then I think that's fair enough. My wife is happy enough to return to work because she's a healthy, white, young woman and will almost certainly be ok, but there are countless teachers with health issues or live with those who do. 

For state schools it is down to the Government to create a working model to return all pupils back to work and for individual schools to work around that. 

Quite interested to hear more about the myth of an open marriage to be honest.

• Haha 1

Lots of talk about schools but very little mention of nurseries, who can't just say they'll open in September as they are open throughout the summer. I've put my 3 year old down to start back in July, even if its just for the 30 free hours we get. The nursery itself opened this week but with me working from home and the wife furloughed we decided there was no point and they were limiting spaces anyway. I might still be WFH into July but I'll still be sending him in if possible.

Obviously social distancing is impossible, and I wouldn't expect staff to enforce too much with that age group. I don't want him to be stuck in a corner playing on his own but hopefully they can at least control a clean environment, regular handwashing and staff can protect themselves as much as possible. Its difficult for them because they rely on they income they receive from parents and struggle to break even at best of times, even more so if they have to limit numbers.

Is anyone actually modifying thier behaviour based on these daily changing govt guidelines?

Yes! I can go down the park! Yes! I can have a guest in the garden! Yes! I can exercise twice a day! Yes! I can drive where I want for a walk! 

I'm doing exactly nothing different now to day 1 of the lockdown. I just keep a low profile and allow people their personal space; work at home, go shopping once or twice a week, exercise as much as I want and pick the kids up from their mum's twice a week and nip round my mum's for a chat in the garden.  

There's nothing else to do, is there? All my hobbies are out; pubs, restaurants,  holidays, football and occasionally going out on the pull

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Is anyone actually modifying thier behaviour based on these daily changing govt guidelines?

Yes! I can go down the park! Yes! I can have a guest in the garden! Yes! I can exercise twice a day! Yes! I can drive where I want for a walk! 

I'm doing exactly nothing different now to day 1 of the lockdown. I just keep a low profile and allow people their personal space; work at home, go shopping once or twice a week, exercise as much as I want and pick the kids up from their mum's twice a week and nip round my mum's for a chat in the garden.  

There's nothing else to do, is there? All my hobbies are out; pubs, restaurants,  holidays, football and occasionally going out on the pull

Good hobby.

Sister in law has been told that any teacher that is concerned about safety are not needed back at school.

Guess that means they have no intention of opening.

Yet LBC this morning were discussing bringing teachers out of retirement due to a huge shortage and caused by smaller class sizes.

Why would teachers bother going back if they don't have to?

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

I see ThE pOsItiVe PrOfEsSoR has had a mare. Fair play to him for holding his hands up and admitting it though 

There may be some truth to his assertion, if I’ve understood it correctly, that some deaths would have occurred soon anyway. If so we should see this in a below average figure for the total death rate, I.e. a negative excess death rate over the next year or so. I believe the UK is now about down to an average death rate or maybe just above. We’ll have to see, but I’d expect to see at least a little of this effect over time.

No doubt there will be considerable research mining information from the death statistics in years to come.

• Like 2