Jump to content
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

It’s a shame nurse’s, midwives etc weren’t rewarded with a pay rise when the government most recently decided to reward teachers and doctors for the work they are doing.

Ticks me off that. Those you mention as well as other "lower profile" NHS front liners, get side-lined when the Gov decide to reward the most "important" sectors. So many of us are not considered to be "frontline". What about the district nursing staff that visit and treat their patients every day, dressing wounds, sorting catheters, giving medication? What about the almost forgotten NHS support staff that work on the frontline? It's the higher profile groups that get the headlines and they make the gov look like they're doing good. That's why.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Ticks me off that. Those you mention as well as other "lower profile" NHS front liners, get side-lined when the Gov decide to reward the most "important" sectors. So many of us are not considered to be "frontline". What about the district nursing staff that visit and treat their patients every day, dressing wounds, sorting catheters, giving medication? What about the almost forgotten NHS support staff that work on the frontline? It's the higher profile groups that get the headlines and they make the gov look like they're doing good. That's why.

 

And never mind the completely disregarded Care sector, most of whom get minimum wage.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Ticks me off that. Those you mention as well as other "lower profile" NHS front liners, get side-lined when the Gov decide to reward the most "important" sectors. So many of us are not considered to be "frontline". What about the district nursing staff that visit and treat their patients every day, dressing wounds, sorting catheters, giving medication? What about the almost forgotten NHS support staff that work on the frontline? It's the higher profile groups that get the headlines and they make the gov look like they're doing good. That's why.


Erm, the doctor payrise earlier this year A) Was independently recommended and was going to be implemented before the pandemic and B) Only applied to consultants and associate specialists. Shame on you for not knowing that and for contributing for unnecessary divisions amongst frontline staff.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Buce said:

 

And never mind the completely disregarded Care sector, most of whom get minimum wage.

I tonally agree. Unfortunately they're working in the private sector. The gov don't give a fukc as they're not on their payroll and are considered insignificant. I've met hundreds of dedicated carers that give up their free time to go back to their clients out of working hours to make sure they're ok. They really are the forgotten heroes that no one sees being hard at work except their clients and the clients families. I absolutely admire what they do. Fixing meals, doing shopping, cleaning the accommodation, wiping shitty arses, changing incontinence pads, making cups of tea, being a friend when the client has nobody. Absolute gems of society.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bryn said:


Erm, the doctor payrise earlier this year A) Was independently recommended and was going to be implemented before the pandemic and B) Only applied to consultants and associate specialists. Shame on you for not knowing that and for contributing for unnecessary divisions amongst frontline staff.

Sorry Doctor. I accept that as being true however, when the Gov talk of "frontline services" what do you imagine the public conception of that is? The gov said they would "reward" all frontline staff that had worked during the pandemic. I haven't had a penny. It's bluff and bluster by the Gov. I have no doubt that you are underpaid for your skills and experience as are so many in the NHS. It does seem unfair that the recommended pay rise only be applied to those groups you mention and I admit, I wasn't particularly aware of that, why would I be as a humble ambulance worker?

IMO all NHS frontline staff are deserving of some kind of acknowledgement for the risks and challenges they've had to face. The gov release press statements about the pay rewards for NHS staff that are, at best, misleading and designed to show them being appreciative of what we have all done and have still to do when actually they will not make more that 0.5% difference to any of us. The gov perception of the "frontline" is that it's those in resus departments, ICU, HDU, acute wards emergency admission wards. It's not.

Edited by Parafox
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bryn said:

I don't disagree with you but sniping at other AHPs doesn't help.

It makes a point. In life critical situations, many people wouldn't ever get to see a specialist without the interventions delivered by paramedics. Why reward one over the other, when they're all part of the same system.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bryn said:

I don't disagree with you but sniping at other AHPs doesn't help.

OK but I don't agree I was sniping at other AHP's. There are so many lower profile staff in the NHS and in the private sector that deserve recognition.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Is earache/pain considered a symptom?

Youngest has gone to bed in agony with his ear and a very slightly raised temperature. 

One of the mums on the Mrs' WhatsApp group suggested it was but I've never heard that and can't find info suggesting it is.

It’s not one that I’ve heard but the thing about this disease is the varied experiences that people have who catch it ...... tbh, kids don’t generally show symptoms and earache is more reflective of a typical cold ....... best to be cautious at the moment though 

 

19 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Urgh, burning up and the app has told me to self isolate. Really don’t want COVID😩

Take care mate - need paracetamol to get that temp down  - don’t take any liberties with it 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s not one that I’ve heard but the thing about this disease is the varied experiences that people have who catch it ...... tbh, kids don’t generally show symptoms and earache is more reflective of a typical cold ....... best to be cautious at the moment though.

That's what I said, she wants to keep him off school tomorrow. Normally I'd disagree but at the moment don't know what to do for the best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Is earache/pain considered a symptom?

Youngest has gone to bed in agony with his ear and a very slightly raised temperature. 

One of the mums on the Mrs' WhatsApp group suggested it was but I've never heard that and can't find info suggesting it is.

 

It's not something that should necessarily be ignored:

 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/earache/

 

Any doubts, call 111 for advice.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StanSP said:

As I have stuff planned in December from months ago which has already been re-arranged twice, on a purely selfish perspective, I'd rather we're out of lockdown on 2nd Dec as planned, go back to a tiered system, still have some restrictions in place over Xmas/New Year but still allow family meetings up to a certain limit at that time.

 

Yes that would make sense.

 

But now we have people almost saying they'd rather have a lockdown or two so long as they can have a family fun filled Christmas day or so. 

 

I am not sure people who work in hospitality or retail would want  that though.

 

"Sorry guys you cannot open yet, only for 4 days or so then close again"

 

That is going to harm a lot of jobs and businesses more than having limited restrictions generally over the next few weeks and moths until a vaccine is found.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rain King said:

Is earache/pain considered a symptom?

Youngest has gone to bed in agony with his ear and a very slightly raised temperature. 

One of the mums on the Mrs' WhatsApp group suggested it was but I've never heard that and can't find info suggesting it is.

It may well be an ear infection. When the body’s immune system kicks into gear, the temperature rises so it’s perfectly normal! Very unlikely to be covid! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We know what’s going to happen if they have a short opening up over Christmas, everyone is going to rush out to the shops and pubs which will be jam packed , it’ll be mayhem and the virus will explode again. It would be far more sensible to open up in early December, with restrictions, especially over the holiday period,  as there is a longer period of time to get control on things. You simply can’t control a sudden burst of activity but you can when it’s gradual.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Super_horns said:
What do people want ?
A lockdown till Christmas then open up for 4 days then close down again?
No one can really win can they ..
What ever happens people aren’t going to be happy.

Open the schools

The Govt don't care that infections will rise and people will die!

Close the schools

The Govt don't care that the poorest kids will be worst affected by lack of education!

 

Open businesses

The Govt don't care that infections will rise and people will die!

Close the businesses

The Govt don't care that businesses will suffer!

 

And repeat through all sectors...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Is it?  To be honest I would rather they actually spent the money on recruiting more staff than giving pay rises.  I expect most nurses would rather be working fully staffed than paid a few % more too.

You can't just magic nurses out of thin air, though. If nurses were paid more it might be viewed as a more viable career path and thereby bolster the pool of potential new nurses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nod.E said:

You can't just magic nurses out of thin air, though. If nurses were paid more it might be viewed as a more viable career path and thereby bolster the pool of potential new nurses.

We all want a fair days pay for a fair days work, Thing about all services is that the people who join these professions aren’t generally in it for the wage they are in it because they are a certain type of person that want to help others.
It’s these type of people we are losing, as we as a nation, grow greedy and selfish and want want want.

Im sure a nurse on, plucking a figure out the air 25k, would rather 9 other like minded people all on 25k than 4 others on 40k but then have to do twice the shifts.

Hats off to everyone of them x

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

We all want a fair days pay for a fair days work, Thing about all services is that the people who join these professions aren’t generally in it for the wage they are in it because they are a certain type of person that want to help others.
It’s these type of people we are losing, as we as a nation, grow greedy and selfish and want want want.

Im sure a nurse on, plucking a figure out the air 25k, would rather 9 other like minded people all on 25k than 4 others on 40k but then have to do twice the shifts.

Hats off to everyone of them x

 

When we stop reducing every issue and challenge to being about money, we might get somewhere.

 

If you ever stop to speak to actual nurses; I doubt you'll find the entered the profession out of greed, or want of money and I also see from your post that you understand this entirely, so whilst I'm quoting you, I agree with you.

 

The point I'm making is that I think the constant talk of money within the NHS completely obfuscates the issue which is more likely around working conditions, which I know for fact has alienated caring nurses from the NHS.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Open the schools

The Govt don't care that infections will rise and people will die!

Close the schools

The Govt don't care that the poorest kids will be worst affected by lack of education!

 

Open businesses

The Govt don't care that infections will rise and people will die!

Close the businesses

The Govt don't care that businesses will suffer!

 

And repeat through all sectors...


No one can get it 100% right and there was always going to be thousands of deaths and millions if not billions of £s in economic disruption. Expecting Korea or Japanese results of course is completely looney as these are places with recent experience with how to fight pandemic outbreaks. We were always going to be shafted to some extent.

 

But if you look at Germany, they’ve tallied 13,390 deaths if the same period we’ve tallied 53,274, with much less economic disruption. And they had the same, if not slightly less time to react to the pandemic as we have. With a similar number in regards to the ageing population. 
 

And the thing is, I don’t think the policies themselves (bar a couple, like the 10pm pub curfew) are even necessarily wrong. It’s just that every policy seems tacked on as a reaction to the current circumstance rather than part of a coherent plan. We wasted the early opportunity to limit spread by keeping massive events like Cheltenham and the Atletico - Liverpool game running, played it down for weeks by shaking active Covid patients’ hands and no-showing COBR meetings, then when we had a three month long lockdown to get a track and trace system right, and instead we handed the whole thing to the wife of an MP with no experience in the field and got back a rubbish fire of a system in return. We came out with a new system that was swiftly discontinued (remember the Nando’s system?) and replaced with the tiering system (which was a half decent system with some tweaking), but why wasn’t that implemented from the end of the first lockdown? 
 

I do think the government have it lose-lose, but they’ve seemingly took the worst option at all these opportunities by dragging out decisions out or simply making them too late. Reacting too slowly to the first outbreak resulting in a three month lockdown, buggering Track & Trace and reacting too slowly to the second lockdown, resulting in what will likely again be a multi-month lockdown. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Yes that would make sense.

 

But now we have people almost saying they'd rather have a lockdown or two so long as they can have a family fun filled Christmas day or so. 

 

I am not sure people who work in hospitality or retail would want  that though.

 

"Sorry guys you cannot open yet, only for 4 days or so then close again"

 

That is going to harm a lot of jobs and businesses more than having limited restrictions generally over the next few weeks and moths until a vaccine is found.

 


The government clearly know Christmas gatherings and mass return of university students to hometowns is going to happen. They’re trying to lower the R number before it inevitably rises again mid-late December. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...