filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I presume anyone under 50 who is deemed vulnerable will get the vaccine?

They will, they already on the list, but remember is many people with undiagnosed conditions, and also vaccinating everyone is important for spread, since vaccination isnt 100% effective.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Nalis said:

I dont live in Leicester so I'm not as qualified to comment but the mentality of people might change if they know they have it and need to self isolate.

Thats if the problem is the mentality of people, its all too easy to speculate and judge others.

Ironically all the people I know who flouted rules dont live in Leicester.  Whilst everyone I know in Leicester has took it seriously.  The only people I know of flouting are those who have moved into the city from other areas as students.

5 hours ago, Buce said:

I made no such demand. But don't expect me clap as they get rich and the poorer nations go without.

I would hope to see future decisions based on a sense of altruism and mutual benefit, but I expect that concept is beyond your comprehension.

Yeh..I mean we want to carry on Trekking & Hiking in the Poorer countries...they have to get the vaccine ASAP..:yesyes:

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Peston asking for a guess at when we'll have "normal" life is poor journalism. Purely drawing a date out of them to then lambast them should it not be hit.

Yeah I'm not a fan of that - it's a wasted question when they get so limited time to ask anything.

No-one knows a specific day at this time, even with the positive vaccine news recently. It'd be naive of government or any politician to stick a date on a 'normal' life.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

Thats if the problem is the mentality of people, its all too easy to speculate and judge others.

Ironically all the people I know who flouted rules dont live in Leicester.  Whilst everyone I know in Leicester has took it seriously.  The only people I know of flouting are those who have moved into the city from other areas as students.

My experience is very different. I took my daughter to school last Friday where they ask parents to wear a mask on site. Quick count in playground 4 adults out of 16 wearing a mask. And some of those not wearing one standing together chatting. This lack of willingness to do their bit is why we are in such a mess. I also see it a lot in the local ASDA. Probably 1/5 not wearing a mask. All ages, all races. Just selfish ****ers all round. 
if those parents can’t show their kids how to behave for the good of society by wearing a mask for 10 mins I dread to think how they bring them up in general

will also add my eldest daughter has not been adhering to the guidance on a regular basis which has caused a lot of friction between us. 

2 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Maybe the vaccine won't be as fast as expected?

Not hoping for most vulnerable people to be vaccinated till Easter?

PM: 'Vast majority' of vulnerable people could get COVID vaccine by Easter (msn.com)

The claims of people being vaccinated at the start of December were always going to be wild predictions. I personally think we'll using the tiered system until at least April/May. Nothing pisses me off more than the claims from the Government, Professors, MPs or whoever about returning to normality by '*inserts random date here*. We've had back to normal by April 2020, then July, then October, then Christmas, now Spring or March. I know it's to do with giving people hope and stuff but it really annoys me, just feels like they're blatantly lying to us.

• Like 2

Talking to a friend of mine who's Dad runs a NHS trust down here. They have been told to make ready to roll out the vaccine on the 9th Dec but that depends on getting it all cleared in time. It's two stage so you get one and then 4 weeks later you go back for a top up. Trusts paid a fee per patient. 12 hours of vaccinations a day, with a target number that I've forgotten. Potential for the jabs to be administered by non clinical staff as long as they're supervised by clinical staff. 

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Talking to a friend of mine who's Dad runs a NHS trust down here. They have been told to make ready to roll out the vaccine on the 9th Dec but that depends on getting it all cleared in time. It's two stage so you get one and then 4 weeks later you go back for a top up. Trusts paid a fee per patient. 12 hours of vaccinations a day, with a target number that I've forgotten. Potential for the jabs to be administered by non clinical staff as long as they're supervised by clinical staff. 

If I was doing the injections I’d definitely wear an EE 5G t shirt while doing it.

• Haha 4
9 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

In thee two dose vaccines, does this first jab offer any protection? Or is it on the top-up that you’d hope to see immunisation?

26 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

In thee two dose vaccines, does this first jab offer any protection? Or is it on the top-up that you’d hope to see immunisation?

I’m not sure how it might vary between manufacturers, but with the Pfizer one I remember them saying you could only start assuming any immunity about two weeks after the second dose.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

These are the sort of questions I wished were asked on the news - let's actually tell people what is going on.

You're probably in a marginally better position some time after the first dose, but your immune system isn't going to be fully trained without the second dose. 

It isn't uncommon for vaccines to work like this. Those of you with kids probably remember lots of gp visits for vaccines in the first 3 months after birth. They were repeat shots of the same 6 in 1 vaccine. 

The rule of thumb is more exposure a virus = better (and longer lasting) immune responses. When you catch a live virus, it replicates in your body - so lots of exposure and usually a strong immune response. Most vaccines contain 'deactivated' virus, or fragments of the virus, such that it can't replicate in the body. So to get enough exposure to train the immune system to recognise and fight the infection, you need repeat jabs.

Edited by Fktf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone explain the reluctance of so many people in Leicester do do their bit and wear a mask in public?  There is a really low level of compliance in the Abbey Lane area at schools and shops. I just can’t understand. It’s not like people don’t know about it 

“The virus is taking a hold in all areas of the city, with some of the fastest-growing infection rates in Clarendon Park, Braunstone, West End, Stocking Farm and Mowmacre, Aylestone and Eyres Monsell.

The virus is spreading when people are meeting up with friends or family.”

Prof Ivan Browne

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/7-parts-leicester-fastest-growing-4727170.amp

Another day, another statement. This vaccine can’t come quick enough. Some people are not interested in listening. 

Really don’t want to be restricted in tier 3 of this is the concern of the council.

• Thanks 1