filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I wonder how much percentage of people celebrating Christmas have been to a church (other than for a wedding, funeral, etc) in the past year, compared to Eid/mosque and Diwali/temple?

Given that many, many, many people aren't celebrating Christmas for any religious reason and therefore the date really doesn't matter, why not just say, you know what, let's just celebrate it later when we're all in a better place.

The media is just being vexatious ..  as they are with everything ..  ‘Christmas’ is at the end of the year at a time when most people are off work and families get together ..  there is very little religious connotation to it at all. 

I'm so tired and unable to process information that I'm asking on a fans' forum for a provincial football team what the new rules actually are.

If me and the kids go to visit the in-laws, along with my brother in law, that's ok because that's three households. Does that mean that I cannot take my family to see MY folks during the Christmas period?

I'm asking this on the assumption that both sets of parents actually want us to visit, which is not a given

34 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Of course you 'have it'. Dare I say you wanted someone to mention it otherwise you wouldn't have posted about it in here :dunno:

My point being is that they specifically sent a message out in the lead up to the events towards those communities to restrict meeting cos of Eid/Diwali, reminding everyone about the punishments people could face if they met up and broke the rules. Now, for Christmas, restrictions have been dramatically relaxed.

All of this despite the fact that COVID literally couldn't give a shit whether you celebrate any of them... 

If we got 2 bank holidays off for Diwali or Eid then I'd be right up for it.

20 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

People are thick.

Look at what happened when Trump talked about drinking bleach/disinfectant. We've got to the point where people now are actively leaving their own personal decision making up to the Government.

Nothing to do with the shoe size IQ of the average Trump voter then? That's a completely false premise and a terrible example based upon a very dim and uneducated cohort of the American electorate which will be just as likely to be swayed and influenced by alt-right conspiracy theory, festering online holes such as parler and the abhorrent pages of Breitbart. Shall we now turn to all those buffoons that shun face masks because Pete Evans told them Covid-19 was a hoax? Or those that refuse to vaccinate their children because of Jenny McCarthy or Jim Carey's twitter feed? Nothing to do with any 'government' - you'll find that they are one of the same - scientifically illiterate dullards and precisely the same sections of society most likely to spurn expertise and government guidelines preferring the armchair overnight 'expertise' of a You Tube video or social media feed. 

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

For fùck sake, now the in laws will be round ruining my day. That’s another Christmas ruined.

Thankfully, mine won't.

She wanted to but there's no room in the garage for her broomstick...

• Haha 4
8 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Nothing to do with the shoe size IQ of the average Trump voter then? That's a completely false premise and a terrible example based upon a very dim and uneducated cohort of the American electorate which will be just as likely to be swayed and influenced by alt-right conspiracy theory, festering online holes such as parler and the abhorrent pages of Breitbart. Shall we now turn to all those buffoons that shun face masks because Pete Evans told them Covid-19 was a hoax? Or those that refuse to vaccinate their children because of Jenny McCarthy or Jim Carey's twitter feed? Nothing to do with any 'government' - you'll find that they are one of the same - scientifically illiterate dullards and precisely the same sections of society most likely to spurn expertise and government guidelines preferring the armchair overnight 'expertise' of a You Tube video or social media feed. 

So people are thick then?lol

If you need to wait for Boris to tell you it's ok to mix 3 households but will then not mix with a 4th because he said it's bad, then yeah you are thick.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If you need to wait for Boris to tell you it's ok to mix 3 households but will then not mix with a 4th because he said it's bad, then yeah you are thick.

Sigh. Did you not read my post? 

16 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm so tired and unable to process information that I'm asking on a fans' forum for a provincial football team what the new rules actually are.

If me and the kids go to visit the in-laws, along with my brother in law, that's ok because that's three households. Does that mean that I cannot take my family to see MY folks during the Christmas period?

I'm asking this on the assumption that both sets of parents actually want us to visit, which is not a given

Yeah I believe you’re encouraged to make a bubble of three households, and that bubble is the only one each household is allowed to be in. Once you see two other households, theoretically you can’t go and see another. I guess otherwise then if three households met, and then each of those households met another, then very soon the whole country would be in the same bubble. 

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

The media is just being vexatious ..  as they are with everything ..  ‘Christmas’ is at the end of the year at a time when most people are off work and families get together ..  there is very little religious connotation to it at all. 

I expect the Christians that make up half this country might disagree with you on that one.

15 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think it's unfair to label people that have followed the rules and guidelines throughout all this as thick. I would argue people that have ignored everything thick to be honest.

Most of us are somewhere in between, we've followed most things but occasionally bypassed certain aspects of the guidelines. I agree that people can manage their own risk but clearly a lot aren't.

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think it's unfair to label people that have followed the rules and guidelines throughout all this as thick. I would argue people that have ignored everything thick to be honest.

Most of us are somewhere in between, we've followed most things but occasionally bypassed certain aspects of the guidelines. I agree that people can manage their own risk but clearly a lot aren't.

Within reason I agree.

People actually saying oh no we can't see both our parents now because you can't mix four households is just ridiculous, especially when the same kids who will be there for Christmas will be mixing with hundreds of people on a weekly basis.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

11299 cases today, 608 deaths.

I saw earlier that 150 deaths had been removed from previous totals, so not sure if they've been banged on to todays total or what.

The fax was 14 seconds late for yesterday's totals.

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

11299 cases today, 608 deaths.

I saw earlier that 150 deaths had been removed from previous totals, so not sure if they've been banged on to todays total or what.

5 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

The fax was 14 seconds late for yesterday's totals.

Was there an issue with the spreadsheet again lol

40 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

Yeah I believe you’re encouraged to make a bubble of three households, and that bubble is the only one each household is allowed to be in. Once you see two other households, theoretically you can’t go and see another. I guess otherwise then if three households met, and then each of those households met another, then very soon the whole country would be in the same bubble. 

Well in that case we're going to have to start some sort of bidding war between the two sets of parents.

They say you can't buy love but we'll see about that

• Haha 1
47 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I expect the Christians that make up half this country might disagree with you on that one.

Depends on how you define 'Christian':

Only 33% of the nation identified as Christian in 2018, with circa 900,000 being regular churchgoers.

By either definition you are way off.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/369080/church-of-england-attendance-by-service-uk/#:~:text=Church attendance in England in,with two-thirds in 1983.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Sampson said:

Just seen Italy's numbers.

Only a few weeks ago people were saying they'd done a better job of controlling the virus than the UK, Spain, France and Germany, but now it's pretty clear its been worse.

Their 2nd wave deaths have now reached the same point as their first wave deaths and they accelerated way quicker than the other Western European countries too, that the curve looks pretty identical to the first wave.

There's definitely some kind of gerd immunity happening in New York and New Jersey though, those deaths haven't gone up as much as you'd think. And they're the regions with the highest percentage of deaths you can see on worldometer, with New Jersey having already had over 0.19% of it's population dying of covid, making it already pretty clear it's at least twice as deadly as flu.

It would definitely appear we've handled the second wave better than France and Italy. France case numbers were crazy a couple of weeks ago. 

I'm not sure about Spain - not seen their case numbers.

20 minutes ago, Buce said:

Depends on how you define 'Christian':

Only 33% of the nation identified as Christian in 2018, with circa 900,000 being regular churchgoers.

By either definition you are way off.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/369080/church-of-england-attendance-by-service-uk/#:~:text=Church attendance in England in,with two-thirds in 1983.

The specific proportion wasn't really the point of the post, but thanks.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

The specific proportion wasn't really the point of the post, but thanks.

But it was the point of your post ..   I said “very little” religious connotation and you said “half the country” would disagree.