filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Decent fake letter attempt. The deliberate misspelling of government and about are high points. Probably needed more thought on suggesting he knew Johnson should be capitalised but not the other proper nouns (including his own name), and the random capitalised If.

The hand sanitiser bit lol

Edited by ealingfox
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Is that portrayal wrong? PPE would have been cheaper to source back then as there was no pandemic and less demand. If it was done off the back of no kind of test run or trial (in 2016?) then yeah its pretty pointless. But the fact there was a test run, and there seemingly wasn't any care for it in regards to PPE, makes it very relevant now. 

Kind of like the test run is now saying 'I told you so' and there isn't anything wrong with that. It's worth the government being held to account for it... 

I agree fully on the results of the test run being ignored as pointless and stupid. Frankly that isn't arguable, to ignore things flagged in a test run is pathetic.  

It's the way it was framed as "this time last year" rather than having much relation to the test run at all. 

6 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Decent fake letter attempt. The deliberate misspelling of government and about are high points. Probably needed more thought on suggesting he knew Johnson should be capitalised but not the other proper nouns (including his own name), and the random capitalised If.

monty.jpg

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, Babylon said:

Well, we did have a pandemic test run, which highlighted a load of stuff (such as lack of PPE), that we could have prepared for, but didn't. 

I think it's perfectly relevant to point it out.

A reasonable report would have said the missed saving was the recommended stockpile at last years rates. I am sure there is a huge gap between what a stockpile might have been and the actual usage this year.

11 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

lets be honest, if Covid HADN'T have happened, we'd all be sitting here going "why on earth did the government spend £10bn on PPE equipment that it doesn't need just to stockpile it". 

hindsight makes it easy to pick holes. 

for the record, I think the government has made an absolute dogs dinner of the management of the pandemic, but I imagine you could pick fault with every single government in the world with how it's been done or what they could have done better.

Exactly.  There must be reports coming at government continuously asking for money to mitigate this and that risk.  You can't do them all, and even if they had bought more PPE the saving would have been small I am sure.  More to the point would be whether some of the healthcare workers who dies early on would be alive had they had access to more or better PPE earlier.

28 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

lets be honest, if Covid HADN'T have happened, we'd all be sitting here going "why on earth did the government spend £10bn on PPE equipment that it doesn't need just to stockpile it". 

for the record, I think the government has made an absolute dogs dinner of the management of the pandemic, but I imagine you could pick fault with every single government in the world with how it's been done or what they could have done better.

Imagine the roar of outrage if we had hundreds of millions of pounds worth in stockpiled ppe, whilst "austerity" measures were still in place and it slipped by its expiry date without the first global pandemic in a hundred years. 

Ooof.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Imagine the roar of outrage if we had hundreds of millions of pounds worth in stockpiled ppe, whilst "austerity" measures were still in place and it slipped by its expiry date without the first global pandemic in a hundred years. 

Ooof.

I mean, I get annoyed with my wife when she buys too many onions for the same reason. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

The most telling bit that this a load of horse nonesense is that the child is called 'Monti'.

Only a privately educated Etonite could possibly think that there are Montis out in the wild atm.

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Quite worrying that an eight year old still believes in Santa

3 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

Grrr..woof..wuf woof..grrrrr wuf....

Thats the Dog telling you,he reckons  Dogs winners are pretty well managed....This is England..!!

1 hour ago, Heathrow fox said:

Shhhhhhhhh. :nono:

My daughter still hasn't forgiven me for being caught red-handed being the tooth fairy.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Really? Pretty sure I told my kids around age 9 or 10 he wasn't real. Their friends weren't sure about whether he was real then or not.

I think it's pretty common to still believe in him until you leave primary school.

Guest Markyblue
1 minute ago, String fellow said:

It's also quite worrying that an 8-year-old should have their name criticised.

No not really dont you understand the rules sounds posh even 8 years òld rip him, sounds ghetto poor child lovely name, makes you wonder whose the kids and whose the grown ups dont it.

8 minutes ago, String fellow said:

It's also quite worrying that an 8-year-old should have their name criticised.

4 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

No not really dont you understand the rules sounds posh even 8 years òld rip him, sounds ghetto poor child lovely name, makes you wonder whose the kids and whose the grown ups dont it.

I think you are both missing the point here.

@foxile5 is suggesting that the name is so unlikely as to evidence that the entire letter is a really lame and obvious fake (unless I'm very much mistaken, which is impossible).

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Exactly.  There must be reports coming at government continuously asking for money to mitigate this and that risk.  You can't do them all, and even if they had bought more PPE the saving would have been small I am sure.  More to the point would be whether some of the healthcare workers who dies early on would be alive had they had access to more or better PPE earlier.

It's a fair point. All governments have to choose what risk to carry.