filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Deaths have been increasing despite pubs being closed. Don't think people and pubs were the problem.

People are the problem. I didn’t mention pubs I said people not wearing masks which is widespread at least in the area I live in. 

Very close to arguing with my folks earlier, they are as fed up as I am regarding Covid, I’ve not been in their house since March but as retired folk who own their own house they don’t have to go out to work, or worry about a mortgage or rent, or losing their job etc. So when they are blaming the high R rate on people doing their own thing without thinking about the consequences it irritated me. Some people cannot stay at home, people have to work and don’t have the luxury of a good pension and a house that’s paid for.

Its a lot easier for some people to shield and stay safe than others.

I do understand their point of view but sometimes things aren’t that simple.

Oh and currently watching Boris bumble his way through another press conference. 
Liverpool again bore off 

• Like 3

I was in an area that was Tier 1 and now Tier 2, primarily because the population is bigger towards the 60+ age group therefore more cases despite the overall number reducing hugely after outbreaks in factories etc. 

No surprise London gets a blanket Tier 2.

4 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

You’d hope, given how the rates seem to be dropping rather quickly across the county, that come the review we might be able to drop to Tier 2.

Yes but by then Tier two requirements will be changed to keep places in tier 3 as it will all be assessed realatively.

Right now our neighbour's kids can go to school in Rutland but can't mix with the same kids in Leicestershire or indeed out of school in Rutland though they can all travel on the same bus.

57 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

People are not the problem. Leicester and other big Cities are going to struggle. We have kids going to schools they don’t live near.  Being driven from all over the City to a school they don’t live within 3 mile of. Schools are big spreading places. These kids then go home and spread it more and because of our schools system they are going home and spreading It to different communities all around our City. We also have massive factories and warehouses and other huge workplaces so when these kids bring it home The parents then go to these places of work and spread. The nutter who won’t wear a mask is a tiny percentage of the spreading problem. We can’t beat a virus.  It will spread. If you honestly think the people of Leicester are at fault whereas the people of Cornwall are not you are living in cloud cuckoo land. All the big Cities have faired the same. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02973-3

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/risk-comms-updates/update39-covid-and-schools.pdf?sfvrsn=320db233_2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52003804

I'm interested to see the evidence to back up your claim that 'schools are big spreading places'. I just looked up 'school children spreading corona virus' and the first three links that came up are posted above, all of which say otherwise, certainly in younger children, and older ones should be more able to manage the hygiene and social distancing when they return home to avoid passing it on to parents I would have thought, at least mine are.

Happy to be shown otherwise though, especially as I have children of school age too :)

Edited by FoxesDeb
Twice now, more clarity then a typo!
  • Like 1
57 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

People are not the problem. Leicester and other big Cities are going to struggle. We have kids going to schools they don’t live near.  Being driven from all over the City to a school they don’t live within 3 mile of. Schools are big spreading places. These kids then go home and spread it more and because of our schools system they are going home and spreading It to different communities all around our City. We also have massive factories and warehouses and other huge workplaces so when these kids bring it home The parents then go to these places of work and spread. The nutter who won’t wear a mask is a tiny percentage of the spreading problem. We can’t beat a virus.  It will spread. If you honestly think the people of Leicester are at fault whereas the people of Cornwall are not you are living in cloud cuckoo land. All the big Cities have faired the same. 

You had people as the main problem when the virus was spreading in the east of the city. What has changed ?

• Like 1

Boris suggesting that there could be a full lockdown in January if rules are not complied with. 

Yet they have permitted the five day window around Christmas. 

Nearly a year and they still aren’t the most tactful when it comes to communication

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, adam said:

Well airy these shopping centres. 

IMG_20201126_143506.jpg

Hasn’t be anything like that since March this year and won’t be this Christmas with social distancing/capacity limits. I feel for non retail business as much as anyone but let’s not present bullshit here as fact 

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Hasn’t be anything like that since March this year and won’t be this Christmas with social distancing/capacity limits. I feel for non retail business as much as anyone but let’s not present bullshit here as fact 

You dont think it will look like that the first Saturday its opens? We will have to see. 

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Boris suggesting that there could be a full lockdown in January if rules are complied with. 

Nearly a year and they still aren’t the most tactful when it comes to communication

I don't believe we'll avoid a full lockdown in January. In terms of the virus circulating, the Christmas period will be a total disaster unfortunately.

• Like 1

Bloody Liverpool must of been mentioned 30 times, I’m in a real huff about this because whilst Leicester was still under severe restrictions Liverpool carried on like there was no virus. I know someone who visited Liverpool and their exact words were “it’s as if the virus didn’t exist” no masks etc pubs were normal no social distancing. 
I object to them being lauded as some heroic City.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/risk-comms-updates/update39-covid-and-schools.pdf?sfvrsn=320db233_2

I'm interested to see the evidence to back up your claim that 'schools are big spreading places'. I just looked up 'school children spreading corona virus' and the first three links that came up are posted above, all of which say otherwise, certainly in younger children, and older ones should be more able to manage the hygiene and social distancing when they return home to avoid passing it on to parents I would have thought, at least mine are.

Happy to be shown otherwise though, especially as I have children of school age too :)

The rise in cases after schools quite rightly opened I’m sure proves they were a big reason. 

3 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

The rise in cases after schools quite rightly opened I’m sure proves they were a big reason. 

A Sage report has already quite clearly stated that cases were already on the rise in the wider community before schools reopened though? As I said, I'd like to see evidence to back up your claim, rather than just opinion.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/child-infection-rate-rise-began-when-schools-reopened-but-direct-link-unproven-says-sage/

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-schools/no-clear-link-between-school-opening-and-covid-surge-study-finds-idUKKBN26L3UE

• Like 3
1 hour ago, adam said:

You dont think it will look like that the first Saturday its opens? We will have to see. 

No because there are capacity restrictions. Most stores have a queuing system. Things such as public transport is reduced as well to get into the main cities. People aren’t working in cities to stay around and do things like late night shopping. 

Physical shopping numbers are way down in comparison to last year on a month by month basis. The trend will continue. Christmas shopping begins in October 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Boris suggesting that there could be a full lockdown in January if rules are complied with. 

Why would we have a lockdown if rules are complied with?

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Already posted by FoxesDeb

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

I have to say, I'm disappointed that we're in Hinckley and we come under West Mids level 3. Our own IR is 1.0 But West Mids is higher.

I feel more and more hopeless and depressed by the whole thing. I know that most of the country is in a state of frustration and despair and it is what it is, but really? Still can't go out anywhere socially rewarding or meaningful. I worked on the front line in the early days as most FT members will know and that was tough but now, after retiring, I'm finding being socially isolated a lot tougher. I worked as a paramedic which gave me a sense of being needed and just "being". Now, not so much. 

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I think you're using a false definition because that's perfectly valid use.  I'm assuming you think pandemic means "global epidemic" which isn't quite accurate, it's an epidemic that's crossed borders.  I'm not sure how many countries an illness needs to hit before it gains pandemic status but it doesn't need to be worldwide, so when one is worldwide it's fair to specify that it's global.  

WHO Definition

"A pandemic is the worldwide spread of a new disease."