filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

I have to say, I'm disappointed that we're in Hinckley and we come under West Mids level 3. Our own IR is 1.0 But West Mids is higher.

I feel more and more hopeless and depressed by the whole thing. I know that most of the country is in a state of frustration and despair and it is what it is, but really? Still can't go out anywhere socially rewarding or meaningful. I worked on the front line in the early days as most FT members will know and that was tough but now, after retiring, I'm finding being socially isolated a lot tougher. I worked as a paramedic which gave me a sense of being needed and just "being". Now, not so much. 

You ain't the only one, many of us feel like we don't have anything to do with our lives at the minute. The end to this feels just as far away as it did at the start.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Corky said:

Why would we have a lockdown if rules are complied with?

I understand the original post here was a typo but one could question why we are having continual lockdowns when the rules are followed by the vast majority?

Surely the effectiveness of lockdown itself has to be brought into consideration?

You can't just go around blaming people.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I understand the original post here was a typo but one could question why we are having continual lockdowns when the rules are followed by the vast majority?

Surely the effectiveness of lockdown itself has to be brought into consideration?

You can't just go around blaming people.

Yep.

Tier 2 before lockdown then come out of lockdown in tier 3.

Lockdowns don't work.

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yep.

Lockdowns don't work.

Indeed.

They're effective at destroying businesses and jobs though.  

Problem is they're so far down the line with this course of thinking, there's no chance they'll back out of it now.  We're in this mess until April when seasonality changes course for the better.

Of course, they'll spin it in such a way to make out the lockdown/tiered system, whatever you want to call it, has worked.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
43 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yep.

Lockdowns don't work.

19 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Indeed.

Problem is they're so far down the line with this course of thinking, there's no chance they'll back out of it now.  We're in this mess until April when seasonality changes course for the better.

Of course, they'll spin it in such a way to make out the lockdown/tiered system, whatever you want to call it, has worked.

Can either of you suggest a strategy that does ? 

• Like 3
On 23/11/2020 at 19:25, UniFox21 said:

Peston asking for a guess at when we'll have "normal" life is poor journalism. Purely drawing a date out of them to then lambast them should it not be hit.

Stupid question, a better question if they criticise would have been something like "given parts of the country have not been out of lockdown since March, does that perhaps indicate a failed strategy for those areas?"

Putting a date on end of covid is unreasonable.

• Like 1
On 23/11/2020 at 20:09, FLAN said:

My experience is very different. I took my daughter to school last Friday where they ask parents to wear a mask on site. Quick count in playground 4 adults out of 16 wearing a mask. And some of those not wearing one standing together chatting. This lack of willingness to do their bit is why we are in such a mess. I also see it a lot in the local ASDA. Probably 1/5 not wearing a mask. All ages, all races. Just selfish ****ers all round. 
if those parents can’t show their kids how to behave for the good of society by wearing a mask for 10 mins I dread to think how they bring them up in general

will also add my eldest daughter has not been adhering to the guidance on a regular basis which has caused a lot of friction between us. 

I dont disagree that some people are been silly, but there is no proof its more rampant in Leicester than anywhere else, cases are not proof of that.

The argument of parents wearing masks at a school is kind of drowned out by the fact schools are even open at all as well.  I think the non compliers are a combination for those "its just flu bro" and those who have become detached as they think the rules are senseless. 

Boris needs to go on air and instead of pretending schools are not a problem, should give those of us who are asking questions about this an explanation as to why he thinks schools come before public health safety and they are more important than causing misery for millions of people, he owes the public that.  Its also not the case of why he kept schools open, but he has refused to act on any scientific recommendations and even tried to modify the schooling system, to be covid safe.  He has refused to even make modest adjustments.

We will never get a safety first from the government, so the only way out this mess is the vaccine, but its still an unknown if they going to vaccinate everyone or not.  I wouldnt put it past boris to only bother with the most vulnerable.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Indeed.

Totally true, they are blinded by the one way of thinking, that they won't even consider someone elses opinion or different options.

This government is finished, come the next election everyone will remember how they destroyed live & businesses.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I see Vallance did his best to attribute the slowing down of cases to the latest lockdown and tiered system from back in Oct at today's conference.  This is where it's all heading.  They're determined to roll out this mass testing and vaccination programme come March when they believe they'll have the figures and data to back that up.  The way they're using the data to drive this is worrying.

Seriously, someone should hold him to account for his modelling of 4000.  Outrageous and scaremongering.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 2
On 24/11/2020 at 14:10, Stevosevic said:

lol the people of Leicester really haven't listened since this pandemic started have they 

Opinion not fact.

I will accept your statement as fact if you can provide proof behaviour in Leicester is substantially different to other areas (outside of needs), high case counts is not proof for reference.

On 24/11/2020 at 16:06, Leicester_Loyal said:

It's not spreading because of supermarkets, schools, colleges or universities then? The virus will no doubt spread when meeting up with friends and family, but this is only a small percentage of where it's spreading, even if the small number of people doing it stopped, it wouldn't reduce the case count by a couple of hundred a day.

It's just yet another statement to put the blame sorely at the feet of the public:frusty:

No its easier to blame it on the people instead.

On 24/11/2020 at 18:10, kingfox said:

Leicester’s cases have started to drop over the past five days, little mention of that though, they’d rather concentrate on our high infection rate and certain areas where the virus is supposedly accelerating. 

With the Christmas household announcement though, it will probably get extremely messy in January and the whole of the UK’s numbers will accelerate again, people won’t listen anyway, but to have approval from the Government is extremely risky business.

Its not worth mentioning to be honest, the trend needs to persist probably for 2 weeks minimum, if you look at the last 28 days data, you can see multiple periods of dropping case loads followed by increases.  We had a little stagnation from school half term, once that effect is done, and people are out for christmas shopping it will rise again.  The cases are not hitting low levels again either until next school summer holiday period, or vaccination.

On 24/11/2020 at 18:41, Countryfox said:

Soulsby banging on about hoping the government gives him the right tools to get out of tier 3 in his usual sarcastic manner ..  you’ve got the same tools as everyone else you plonker ! ..  so stop fvckin moaning and try and improve things to levels other parts of the country are achieving. 

Have the government done the following then?

Gave him powers to close schools and send uni students home.

Provided funding for housing to decrease over crowded accommodation.

Provided extra police forces to enforce rules everywhere.

Provided him the same level of funds as manchester and liverpool so businesses have less motivation to break rules.

Stopped sending covid infected patients from India to Leicester hospitals? (conveniently left out of the news)

Announced a long overdue investment in the area to encourage higher paid employers into the area.

It was interesting that other mayors collaborated his experience when they too had to deal with the government.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 2

If you took the Tiers map and put it next to a population density map (on a county basis) they would be practically identical.

No surprise really. If there's been one constant in all this it's that close proximity of people increases transmission.

10 hours ago, Captain... said:

https://www.centreforcities.org/data/coronavirus-cases-uk-cities-large-towns/

This is an up to date list of covid rates, it seems anyone with an infection rate of over 200 per 100,000 is highest level although it's not quite as clear cut as that Warrington is middle tier.

This gives an indicator of where Leicester ranks in the covid league.

Is a link to poverty looking at that data, which isnt surprising.  I dont just mean personal levels of poverty either but also resource poverty.

7 hours ago, kingfox said:

It was working at the back end of August when we got it down to 25 per 100,000 people.

They took the handbrake off certain things, which coincided with Schools and Uni’s going back, then over the past three months it’s sky rocketed again.

Since this new second national lockdown though, cases in Leicester over the past week have began to drop, our rate few weeks ago was 530 per 100,000 at one point, most recent number on the Council website says it’s gone down to 350 per 100,000.

How long do you leave it before you take the handbrake off again? We made great progress in August, data clearly shows that, yet you open certain things back up again, especially Schools and Uni’s, then unsurprisingly kaboom, the rate gets out of control again.

What happens in July and August every year?

4 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Bloody Liverpool must of been mentioned 30 times, I’m in a real huff about this because whilst Leicester was still under severe restrictions Liverpool carried on like there was no virus. I know someone who visited Liverpool and their exact words were “it’s as if the virus didn’t exist” no masks etc pubs were normal no social distancing. 
I object to them being lauded as some heroic City.

But but but "people in Leicester dont care, they dont behave themselves whilst everyone else is".

I'm in Notts and we're in tier 3. We're below national average and only went bananas with infections when the unis came back and were mass tested. It stinks if you ask me, more and more I'm starting to agree with Mr YouTube conspiricy theorist Bell end. It's hard not to see this as some sort of mental breakdown when that's what it is. 

Its an Alien plot...Trump, Johnson,Grove/Hancock..etc. do let their human/reptilien fasade drop occasionally..

I mean..ffs look how they walk, and their Eyes have become with their Facial expressions a massive giveaway....

No Human govt, would have even dared this lockdown/ Holidays/Lockdown/xmas,Lockdown....stragedy..

Businesses Agreeing with all & sundry,without a murmur..!!

We have been slowly infultrated, curfews & lockdowns, so we dont see the saucers landing...

& To Beat it all...my Medi's being tampered with....!!  Plus they have slown down my Bloody wheelchair...

since I joined FT, they have sabotaged my Bloody  Grammer,&  punctuation ....and it doesn't Snow at xmas,anymore

But they are Scared of Santa...they are playing clever,so  to see we have still something honest & True to Keep us conveniently happy..!!

you dare and tell me I am Not right...I know I have spoke to all my nurses & doctors...,and after 40 years vor the First Time  my Wife nods happily..!!

Don t worry about them coming, they are already here,  their Russian & Chinas Experiment was successful..!!

And they tried to Blame it all on our cute animals.....