filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

https://www.who.int/bulletin/online_first/BLT.20.265892.pdf

'Across 51 locations, the median COVID-19 infection fatality rate was 0.27% (corrected 0.23%): the rate was 0.09% in locations with COVID-19 population mortality rates less than the global average (< 118 deaths/million), 0.20% in locations with 118–500 COVID-19 deaths/million people and 0.57% in locations with > 500 COVID-19 deaths/million people. In people < 70 years, infection fatality rates ranged from 0.00% to 0.31% with crude and corrected medians of 0.05%'

As soon as the over 70s have been vaccinated, we can surely fully unlock the country?

Lockdowns have never been about death rates.

5 hours ago, Sampson said:

Of course there is - ring vaccination for people who can't have vaccines like pregnant women or people with allergies.

It makes no sense to lift restrictions until everyone who can be vaccinated has been.

Just out of interest, how many pregnant women have died of coronavirus so far?  It isn't so many.

It's a nice ideal that it's better for two million people to lose their jobs than that one person should die, but it isn't going to work out that way.  Politics doesn't.  People don't, for that matter.  You might be happy to lose your house and your job so that one unknown person the other end of the country can live, but most wouldn't - before you count the corollary effect of the deaths caused by lockdown.

Besides, if you're taking lockdown to the nth degree, no release until everyone is safe, what are you going to do about flu?  Between 10k and 17k annual premature deaths per year caused by flu.  Lockdown could save some of those.  It just isn't practical.

3 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Just out of interest, how many pregnant women have died of coronavirus so far?  It isn't so many.

It's a nice ideal that it's better for two million people to lose their jobs than that one person should die, but it isn't going to work out that way.  Politics doesn't.  People don't, for that matter.  You might be happy to lose your house and your job so that one unknown person the other end of the country can live, but most wouldn't - before you count the corollary effect of the deaths caused by lockdown.

Besides, if you're taking lockdown to the nth degree, no release until everyone is safe, what are you going to do about flu?  Between 10k and 17k annual premature deaths per year caused by flu.  Lockdown could save some of those.  It just isn't practical.

But their babies to tend to be born prematurely, and require neonatal care.

Lockdown is not about death rates.

40 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Then what is lockdown about?  

Keeping enough nhs beds free to treat people, mainly. Both for covid and non-covid patients.

But also protecting the vulnerable from bad (but unwanted) consequences (e.g. the pregnant women and their babies you mention).

7 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Keeping enough nhs beds free to treat people, mainly. Both for covid and non-covid patients.

But also protecting the vulnerable from bad (but unwanted) consequences (e.g. the pregnant women and their babies you mention).

Now that you mention it, your right - that's what they said it was all about. But in practice it wasn't - or at least, the two go hand in hand.  But in summer there were as many spare beds as there ever are and they didn't release all the controls.

(BTW, Sampson brought up the pregnant women.  It's old people that are my particular hobby-horse.  Which is why I think once they have been vaccinated, we the negative consequences of lockdown will outweigh the positive once the vulnerable have been jabbed.  We still have to remember that it isn't a choice of a number of pregnant women die or else everything is perfect; it's a choice between a number of pregnantwomen die or a number of other people die and other bad things happen too.)

Edited by dsr-burnley
11 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

That's what they said it was all about, but in practice it wasn't - or at least, the two go hand in hand.  But in summer there were as many spare beds as there ever are and they didn't release all the controls.

(BTW, Sampson brought up the pregnant women.  It's old people that are my particular hobby-horse.  Which is why I think once they have been vaccinated, we the negative consequences of lockdown will outweigh the positive once the vulnerable have been jabbed.  We still have to remember that it isn't a choice of a number of pregnant women die or else everything is perfect; it's a choice between a number of pregnantwomen die or a number of other people die and other bad things happen too.)

I don't agree the two go hand in hand. The data on mortality is clear, and cannot be used to justify lockdowns (or to end them). Where this and common flu differ isn't on death rate, but the number of people that need to go through hospital to recover.

Pregnant women is just one example of a group that won't die from it, but may have complications. But I take your point that there's a decision to be made once the group that mostly fill up the hospital beds have been vaccinated. 

Edited by Fktf

I don't know how representative this is, but my wife's workplace has all employees booked for CV vaccinations this weekend; out of circa 100 employees, 95 have declined to have it, citing a variety of conspiracy theory based reasons.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Buce said:

I don't know how representative this is, but my wife's workplace has all employees booked for CV vaccinations this weekend; out of circa 100 employees, 95 have declined to have it, citing a variety of conspiracy theory based reasons.

That is insane

12 minutes ago, Buce said:

One of the theories isn't by chance to do with the thalidomide drug is it?

33 minutes ago, Buce said:

:frusty:

Even though it's frustrating, if it means I or my family can get the vaccine quicker because these chumps are too warped in the head for it, then so be it. 

Sweden, the last bastion of freedom, now require masks on public transport. Alongside that four people at a restaurant table and no alcohol sales after 8. 

Whilst each individual nation as their only issues when it comes to policing. Ultimately it’s Europe’s winter now - pushing on cases across the continent 

28 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Got my positive result yesterday, I'm on day 4 of feeling like shit. Can anyone on here who's had it shed some light on how long it took for them to start feeling better 🤧🤧

Sorry to hear that. To be honest, the range of experiences is so wide it's impossible to say. I only felt properly shit for one day, with another 2 days where in normal circumstances I wouldn't be well enough to go into work

40 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Got my positive result yesterday, I'm on day 4 of feeling like shit. Can anyone on here who's had it shed some light on how long it took for them to start feeling better 🤧🤧

I think it really varies unfortunately. I would say a good 10 for me until I was feeling better (I still had lingering fatigue for a good 4 or 5 months after, but obviously that doesn't happen to everyone). Be careful if you are starting to feel better not to suddenly exert yourself too much as I think often people find that that can cause a bit of a relapse. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

Edited by rachhere
1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

One of the theories isn't by chance to do with the thalidomide drug is it?

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

That is insane

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

:frusty:

Even though it's frustrating, if it means I or my family can get the vaccine quicker because these chumps are too warped in the head for it, then so be it. 

Insane, indeed.

These are front line workers who have been caring for Covid patients on-and-off since the beginning - twenty-odd have died, ffs.

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Insane, indeed.

These are front line workers who have been caring for Covid patients on-and-off since the beginning - twenty-odd have died, ffs.

Do they just want to carry on like this, then?

I could understand it if they were office workers who read the Internet but to see the effects of it and make that choice- bizarre.

• Like 1

The government are considering travel restrictions to curb the latest super fast variant of the virus, shouldn't that really be done immediately? or will they wait until mid January to bring that in because surely everyone will be sitting around waiting to find out if the can't travel North.

20 minutes ago, Buce said:

Insane, indeed.

That is outrageous. It should be made compulsory for people in a position of care

So my 93 year old Nan tested positive for covid a couple of days ago. However no symptoms like several others in the home shes in.

God knows how she'd have caught it as shes essentially been in solitary confinement for the past few weeks. Barely any staff in the home so minimal human contact, going out of her mind with boredom, not been able to visit the bathroom to shower in weeks.

It infuriates me. I mean how accurate are these tests supposed to be? At this point I'm far more concerned about her developing dementia from these bullshit restrictions than her dying from covid.

4 minutes ago, Mapperleyfox said:

He hasn't got the guts unfortunately. He's a coward.

I'm no Boris Johnson fan but in fairness we dont know if we need a November style lockdown or a March style lockdown until after Christmas.

Also, announcing lockdowns usually cause people to have a final 'blowout' if they know things will close beforehand.

2 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

That is outrageous. It should be made compulsory for people in a position of care

You can't make it compulsory, the only way to give people confidence in taking the vaccine is for those in power to demonstrate they are willing to take it, including the Queen. 

17 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

You can't make it compulsory, the only way to give people confidence in taking the vaccine is for those in power to demonstrate they are willing to take it, including the Queen. 

I’m sure there’s plenty of people who are prepared to have the vaccine now, and most of those who are nervous will have it later once they see that others who’ve had it are OK.

21 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

The kind of people who form their opinions based on what they read on facebook would no doubt be claiming the syringe just contained water.

Sad to say, but the brutal truth is that an awful lot of people are truly fvcking thick.

• Like 1